I'm a little spooked now

Clipper

Sitting in one of my lock-ons this morning about 9 and looked down to see this! This was new steel swing chain I had used to replace the rusted cables about 3 weeks ago. It was the last of a length I had used to replace the cables on 2 or 3 other stands I have. I was wearing my safety harness, but a fall would still have not been good.

I got the idea of replacing rusted cables with swing chain off one of the boards on this forum, so I'm pretty sure there are others who have done the same thing. I'm now leaning toward buying replacement cables every 2 or 3 years. I just hate that they rust so quick. I checked the specs from one of the big box stores and #2 swing chain is rated for 255 pound working load. I weigh about 200 in full gear and would have to stand on one side of the stand to put near 200 lbs on one cable. I will surely be tied to the tree before stepping on one of these from now on. IMG_0693.JPG

Ray357

AWOL
Sitting in one of my lock-ons this morning about 9 and looked down to see this! This was new steel swing chain I had used to replace the rusted cables about 3 weeks ago. It was the last of a length I had used to replace the cables on 2 or 3 other stands I have. I was wearing my safety harness, but a fall would still have not been good.

I got the idea of replacing rusted cables with swing chain off one of the boards on this forum, so I'm pretty sure there are others who have done the same thing. I'm now leaning toward buying replacement cables every 2 or 3 years. I just hate that they rust so quick. I checked the specs from one of the big box stores and #2 swing chain is rated for 255 pound working load. I weigh about 200 in full gear and would have to stand on one side of the stand to put near 200 lbs on one cable. I will surely be tied to the tree before stepping on one of these from now on. View attachment 1045379
Swing chain is in no way up for that amount of load. It's all about leverage and angles. You are putting 10 times the weight on that chain a swing would pu on it.

bowhunterdavid

Man i am glad you didn't fall. I'm still getting over my fall back in August. You are right we all need to replace cables every few years, i learned the hard way. I put life lines everywhere i have lock on stands now. I also thought about chains like you did, but i don't know about that now.

Todd Cook

Yessir, I'd be spooked too. I'm a do it yourselfer from way back. That said, I don't modify treestands or make homemade ones. I have before, but never again. I've tried making cables before but don't have the equipment to do it correctly. Glad it didn't hurt you David!

hambone76

Wow, glad you caught that in time! I’d go with a heavier chain or install bars in place of the cables.

splatek

UAEC
I had the bottom on an old climber fall out from under me on one of my first ever hunts. Scared the you know what outta me. Now I either hung from the ground which I really like but it’s also a tough challenge or from a tree saddle. The saddle has me connected to the tree at all times. I don’t climb that high just high enough to get a vantage point, say on a thicket. Even if all my sticks fell out from under me I have two ropes that I could essentially climb down like old gun class style, if necessary.
Had a buddy completely obliterated his ankle falling. Glad you’re ok. Keep safe
I read somewhere that most hunting accidents involve tree stands. That always baffled me.

splatek

UAEC
I had the bottom on an old climber fall out from under me on one of my first ever hunts. Scared the you know what outta me. Now I either hung from the ground which I really like but it’s also a tough challenge or from a tree saddle. The saddle has me connected to the tree at all times. I don’t climb that high just high enough to get a vantage point, say on a thicket. Even if all my sticks fell out from under me I have two ropes that I could essentially climb down like old gun class style, if necessary.
Had a buddy completely obliterated his ankle falling. Glad you’re ok. Keep safe
I read somewhere that most hunting accidents involve tree stands. That always baffled me.

Clipper

Thanks for all your thoughts on my stand situation. After reading the posts and thinking about it, I will be changing out my swing chains to something else. Probably buy replacement cables for each stand.

Ray357

AWOL
Yessir, I'd be spooked too. I'm a do it yourselfer from way back. That said, I don't modify treestands or make homemade ones. I have before, but never again. I've tried making cables before but don't have the equipment to do it correctly. Glad it didn't hurt you David!
I build a lot of stands. My grand dad built industrial manufacturing machines in his machine shop. He designed them with his 5th grade education. I learned the principle of over building from him. (If you think it need a 1/2" grade 5 bolt, use a 3/4" grade 8) His machines were super heavy, but they ran forever. Most still running even though they are over 40 years old.

Kisatchie

Triple BANNED
Wow you should be spooked! Glad your ok but swing chains? The braided 1/8 cable used on new stands is rated for about 1700-1800 pounds, that’s how much stronger a braided cable is than chain. I saw a guy on another forum with the Chinese Lowe’s chains with each link just tack welded together not solid welded, I thought that was bad but swing chain, I’d be surprised if that could keep a big dog chained up.
Lexco cables call or email the guy will make a new set of cables as good or better than new. Just measure your original cable they’ll make em eyelits and all no cable clamps garbage like some do. You don’t need to paint them there dull as is. It’s the rubber cable coating on the originals that cause the rust. Water gets in can’t get out. Rain on bare cables will run off and not cause an issue. I don’t hunt the same tree more than once a season so not an issue but you really should take your stands down after season. This alone would stop a lot of the cable chain corrosion issues.
Not singling you out specifically but this is such a common thing on hunting forums. When you look at numbers on weight ratings of cable,chain or even rope. That’s static load, that’s hanging straight down and that’s breaking point. When you add up the angle of the stand cable and the caming effect of your weight your no longer a static load. Without getting to deep just know the reason new stands use braided cables is because the saftey factor is that much more. Chains are no were 1E9852C4-96D2-4E3F-87B2-944F55F7AD08.jpeg near the strength of cables without using log chains that would weigh 50 pounds. Last thing I know people put stainless steel bolts to replace the factory thinking they are stronger. Corrosion resistance yes stronger no. A carbon steel bolt like the factory originals will bend were a stainless steel would shear off because it is harder and therefore more brittle. Unless you work for the tree stand manufacturers in the saftey development dept. probably best to leave the decisions on how to build tree stands to the experts. Same goes for homemade saftey harnesses and lifelines.

Hillbilly stalker

^^^ Great post with great info. There are somethings you leave to the experts, don’t play with them. It‘s no time to be thrifty or crafty....if your wrong it could be your last mistake. Be safe.

Silver Mallard

So glad you weren't hurt and you wore your harness. that pic of the chain gave me the willies!!!!

Clipper

Wow you should be spooked! Glad your ok but swing chains? The braided 1/8 cable used on new stands is rated for about 1700-1800 pounds, that’s how much stronger a braided cable is than chain. I saw a guy on another forum with the Chinese Lowe’s chains with each link just tack welded together not solid welded, I thought that was bad but swing chain, I’d be surprised if that could keep a big dog chained up.
Lexco cables call or email the guy will make a new set of cables as good or better than new. Just measure your original cable they’ll make em eyelits and all no cable clamps garbage like some do. You don’t need to paint them there dull as is. It’s the rubber cable coating on the originals that cause the rust. Water gets in can’t get out. Rain on bare cables will run off and not cause an issue. I don’t hunt the same tree more than once a season so not an issue but you really should take your stands down after season. This alone would stop a lot of the cable chain corrosion issues.
Not singling you out specifically but this is such a common thing on hunting forums. When you look at numbers on weight ratings of cable,chain or even rope. That’s static load, that’s hanging straight down and that’s breaking point. When you add up the angle of the stand cable and the caming effect of your weight your no longer a static load. Without getting to deep just know the reason new stands use braided cables is because the saftey factor is that much more. Chains are no were View attachment 1046041 near the strength of cables without using log chains that would weigh 50 pounds. Last thing I know people put stainless steel bolts to replace the factory thinking they are stronger. Corrosion resistance yes stronger no. A carbon steel bolt like the factory originals will bend were a stainless steel would shear off because it is harder and therefore more brittle. Unless you work for the tree stand manufacturers in the saftey development dept. probably best to leave the decisions on how to build tree stands to the experts. Same goes for homemade saftey harnesses and lifelines.
I appreciate your wisdom. I looked at #2 welded chain and decided against that as well. Thanks for the reference to the cable maker as I only found one online. I will check with them.

Steve-ALA

I think the only lock on I would trust would be the Family Tradition Lock on. Look it up and see how it’s built.