In general, do atheists believe that evil exists?

RegularJoe

In general, do atheists believe that evil exists? Thanks.

RegularJoe

I believe in both because it is a state of mind. What I don't believe is that someone else controls that.
Thanks Newt ... then
(in no way am i endeavoring to speak for you with this comment ...
merely, earnestly trying to learn about atheism) ...
is that to say for you when you say "... it is a state of mind..."
that evil is a perception and not a reality?

WaltL1

I label myself as Agnostic so hope its ok to answer but......
I believe people do things that would be considered evil by most folks.
Im not convinced "evil" is a thing that exists on its own.... if that makes sense.

ambush80

What do you mean by 'evil'? A malevolent force that only works to create suffering and misery? The word we use to describe motives and actions that create suffering and misery? Can only humans do evil?

What do mean by 'good'? Actions and motives that increase flourishing and pleasure? The absence of suffering? Acts of selfless sacrifice?

ambush80

I don't see any reason to believe in a malevolent force, if that's what you're asking. I see material acting on other material and we give those actions and effects names to describe the level to which we would like those things minimized or reproduced.

ambush80

Life itself seems to be a force or system that creates suffering and misery with interspersed moments of pleasure and joy.

CarolinaDawg

I don't see any reason to believe in a malevolent force, if that's what you're asking. I see material acting on other material and we give those actions and effects names to describe the level to which we would like those things minimized or reproduced.

Just for clarity, humans are materials that act on other materials. Are all materials equal? Is a human the same as a horse?

ambush80

Just for clarity, humans are materials that act on other materials. Are all materials equal? Is a human the same as a horse?

Yes. Humans are material acting on other material. An apple falling on your head is material acting on other material.

Equal to who? Gold is more important to me than a horse, who might find salt more important.

Same as a horse how? What it's made of? What it's capable of? How combustible it is? You get where I'm going.....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Respectfully, these are tough but often interesting discussions. I read here more than I post. Two people of different perspectives see exactly the same thing and have opposing views. For me watching a mammal birth and seeing a creature switch from fluid to air breathing in a nanosecond is awe inspiring. I see a force at work beyond the human, others don’t. It‘s “just” nature. As I’ve I read and watched here the dramatic difference in people is what they will accept or will not accept on spiritual faith, whatever that is to the individual. There is no test tube to look at, no electron microscope to peer through for evidence. It’s spiritual for some and not for others. Hence the good or bad forces perceived by some are outcomes for others. Sorry for my gross simplification.

ambush80

Respectfully, these are tough but often interesting discussions. I read here more than I post. Two people of different perspectives see exactly the same thing and have opposing views. For me watching a mammal birth and seeing a creature switch from fluid to air breathing in a nanosecond is awe inspiring. I see a force at work beyond the human, others don’t. It‘s “just” nature. As I’ve I read and watched here the dramatic difference in people is what they will accept or will not accept on spiritual faith, whatever that is to the individual. There is no test tube to look at, no electron microscope to peer through for evidence. It’s spiritual for some and not for others. Hence the good or bad forces perceived by some are outcomes for others. Sorry for my gross simplification.

Nope. You nailed it, rock solid.

We all interpret things through our own lens. There are things that are awe inspiring, despite knowing how they happen on a material level. I feel that every time I see jumbo jet fly. There are many, many things, infinitely many, that we still don't understand on a material level.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Nope. You nailed it, rock solid.

We all interpret things through our own lens. There are things that are awe inspiring, despite knowing how they happen on a material level. I feel that every time I see jumbo jet fly. There are still many things that we still don't understand on a material level.

Now your speaking my language. I know this guy Bernoulli figured it out long ago and the principle explains flight. However, when I worked 747s I‘d look at numbers, wait, we’re about to make something nearly a million pounds fly. After years still gives one pause.

WaltL1

What do you mean by 'evil'? A malevolent force that only works to create suffering and misery? The word we use to describe motives and actions that create suffering and misery? Can only humans do evil?

What do mean by 'good'? Actions and motives that increase flourishing and pleasure? The absence of suffering? Acts of selfless sacrifice?
The word we use to describe motives and actions that create suffering and misery?
Thats ^ basically how I see the word "evil". A descriptive word that we as humans have come up with that describes actions/motives. And even that can get complicated. Chop up a child up abuser into small pieces. Good? Or Evil? Good because they deserve it? Evil because you are intentionally creating suffering and pain?
All depends on how the individual looks at it. Also may depend on if you are the one doing the chopping or if you are the one being chopped. Complicated.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If they don't believe in good, they shouldn't believe in evil.

Can't have one without the other.
Why wouldn't an atheist believe in "good"? It takes a theist to link "good" with a "god".
It takes a person, a human to do good to do bad, to be good to be evil. Both exist and are actions of humans. No other species blames or gives credit to something else for it's own actions.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don't think "just" Nature is any less impressive or awe inspiring or miraculous than others think "just" God.