In general, do atheists believe that evil exists?

Artfuldodger

I‘ve often thought of the impact of societal norm of our definition of evil. It’s a sliding scale. Our early ancestors thought the natives evil as they bashed a captured child against a tree. I’m sure the native saw the child as something of no value, a burden and a threat to his very existence.

As I’ve aged and watched our societal norm of what is evil evolve it’s unsettling.
Yes even within say a mostly Christian nation, the defintions of morality change and what was once seen as evil is now accepted. Women can now wear gold and fancy hairdo's. Slavery is now frowned upon, views on homosexuality are changing, as is Man being the head of the woman like Jesus is the Church.
It sorta goes both ways really, some evil things are abandoned as we learn and some thigs what were once evil no longer are.

WaltL1

Great thread fellas. I miss these discussions, but drifted away from this forum a few years back because I felt like I said everything I had to say. Hope you all are doing well.
Hey Brent good to hear from you.
I always enjoy your FB posts. Particularly those youngins catching fish!
I really respect the life you are providing for them.

WaltL1

Only slightly different — the more I attempt to learn, the more questions I have. I read a little short article and the footnotes lead to multiple books. There are so many rabbits it is difficult to stay on one scent trail.
Thats a great way of putting it.

WaltL1

I‘ve often thought of the impact of societal norm of our definition of evil. It’s a sliding scale. Our early ancestors thought the natives evil as they bashed a captured child against a tree. I’m sure the native saw the child as something of no value, a burden and a threat to his very existence.

As I’ve aged and watched our societal norm of what is evil evolve it’s unsettling.
Its interesting to me how what is considered "good" or "evil" kind of all depends on where you are standing.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Its interesting to me how what is considered "good" or "evil" kind of all depends on where you are standing.
The Germans wore Gott Mit Uns on their belt buckles. They also thought God was on their side and they were doing good.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Hey Brent good to hear from you.
I always enjoy your FB posts. Particularly those youngins catching fish!
I really respect the life you are providing for them.

Thanks Walt, I appreciate you saying that. We are definitely "livin' the dream!" down here. I do hope you come visit one day. If you like shooting doves or catching fish I got the place for both.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
The Germans wore Gott Mit Uns on their belt buckles. They also thought God was on their side and they were doing good.

Folks can convince themselves of darn near anything they want, particularly when it comes to God. I was raised in a pretty dang strict "God wills it" sorta environment, where those in charge generally convinced themselves they were God's spokesman. Logic wins the day for those who apply it. Anybody who believes in God should also incorporate a ton of humility into their worldview (and in doing so this eliminates one's ability to speak for God).

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Walt, that’s the point exactly. What were you conditioned to as the “norm.”

IMHO, as society slips away from its norm the underpinnings rot and future events that would have been extreme are now the norm, desensitization.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Folks can convince themselves of darn near anything they want, particularly when it comes to God. I was raised in a pretty dang strict "God wills it" sorta environment, where those in charge generally convinced themselves they were God's spokesman. Logic wins the day for those who apply it. Anybody who believes in God should also incorporate a ton of humility into their worldview (and in doing so this eliminates one's ability to speak for God).

hulk-hogan-mic-drop.gif

ambush80

We just watched Inherit the Wind last night. That ^ was William Harrison Brady's downfall.

ambush80

Thanks Walt, I appreciate you saying that. We are definitely "livin' the dream!" down here. I do hope you come visit one day. If you like shooting doves or catching fish I got the place for both.

I still have that box of clays that I was gonna give you.....

RegularJoe

Folks can convince themselves of darn near anything they want, particularly when it comes to God.....
where those in charge generally convinced themselves they were God's spokesman.
Having to listen to those in charge can be a real problem
for any individual's own objective understanding of whatever god.
For those who have an interest in the objective personal understanding
of the Christian God
& not being feed whatever supposed related ideology from others,
such as those in charge,
consider taking a look at this 1/2 page website that has been around for years ....
www.TheBible.bz

bullgator

I don’t believe in atheists.

660griz

Steven Weinberg once famously said, "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

gordon 2

This little quirk is very evident in bible believing Christian cultures. Where "the bible says" and one is indoctrinated to " rightly discern context" there is no limit to what will come out " in the name of the Lord".

Also, I do believe that Christians believe in Atheists. Atheists are those folk who in good conscious chose to have no extra oil for their lamps (Mathew 24). ( Some are sickened by the hypocrisy of Christians and much more.) Therefore it is impossible for Christians to deny the Atheist. For Atheists there is nothing after "the end". And if I have the right context in scripture :) they are right and I have to believe in Atheists.