In-ground Pool Leaf Cover

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Anyone only put a cover on their pool only while leaves are falling? What are you using? This is going to be our first fall/winter with a pool and we are surrounded by trees but would like to keep the pool uncovered most of the time.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Spring loaded trampoline type cover with pop up brass studs in concrete. First year ever of not covering pool (33yrs), had 23 trees cut. Hate the thought of running filter/polaris year 'round.

They make some covers that roll out across pool as needed, but pricey. You can always revert to the old tarp and waterbags . . .

TJay

Our situation is very similiar to yours it is surrounded by trees. The first year I kept it open because we have an attached spa and I kind of wanted to see how bad it would be without a cover. It was bad. I swear leaves flew in from other counties just to land in our pool. Skimmers were full all the time. December mornings when it's freezing cold and I was out there scooping leaves because it's a lot easier to get them when they're floating then when they sink. The following year we had a cover like the one Hooked described. We are closing/covering the pool next week and will open again probably next April.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Our situation is very similiar to yours it is surrounded by trees. The first year I kept it open because we have an attached spa and I kind of wanted to see how bad it would be without a cover. It was bad. I swear leaves flew in from other counties just to land in our pool. Skimmers were full all the time. December mornings when it's freezing cold and I was out there scooping leaves because it's a lot easier to get them when they're floating then when they sink. The following year we had a cover like the one Hooked described. We are closing/covering the pool next week and will open again probably next April.

Going to see how bad it is, can always call the pool company and have 'em come close it.

DannyW

Anyone only put a cover on their pool only while leaves are falling? What are you using? This is going to be our first fall/winter with a pool and we are surrounded by trees but would like to keep the pool uncovered most of the time.

If your pool is surrounded by trees, like mine, I think you will come to the conclusion next spring that a full pool cover is the only way to go. I spent days and days the first 3-4 years dipping wet soggy leaves out of the pool by the bushel each spring. I tried a makeshift cover. Big waste of time and money. Finally bought a real cover.

It goes on the week after Labor Day (it's already on) and comes off in April. Takes about an hour to put it on and take it off. This is the 11th year for the cover and it's still got some years left in it.

But by all means try to go without a cover. Maybe you don't have as many trees as me, or maybe you have more energy than me (that's probably a given!).

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Left our pool open 1 year in 30+ years. Never again. It's snowed for 4 days non stop. The pump had to run continuously. Power bill was outrages for more than a few months. We didn't have a heater back then, but still the pump has to run when the heater is on.

DannyW

Here is our pool with the cover on. Our deck is on two levels with steps on both sides so the cover has to be made differently than one for a flat pool. Had a pool guy install it the first time to make sure the holes for the brass pegs were done correctly. Put it on and take it off every year since. It was made by Yard Guard Pool Products and cost about $2,000 in 2012. I just looked them up and they are still in business. YMMV.

IMG_0591.JPG

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Here is our pool with the cover on. Our deck is on two levels with steps on both sides so the cover has to be made differently than one for a flat pool. Had a pool guy install it the first time to make sure the holes for the brass pegs were done correctly. Put it on and take it off every year since. It was made by Yard Guard Pool Products and cost about $2,000 in 2012. I just looked them up and they are still in business. YMMV.

View attachment 1176412

We've got the same type cover, when you open in the spring, looks like you could run a buzz bait 'cross it.

Back when I was drankin, I was tempted on more than one occasion to drive my SxS across it, "they" claim it'll hold . .:eek::LOL:

Geffellz18

Just FYI!

Do not plant a crepe myrtle anywhere within 100 miles of your property.

The flowers, leaves and berries are horrible.

They are the horticulture version of Satin himself!

FIFY!:wink:

OP-We just have a small stock tank pool and I wouldn’t even think of not covering it if we kept the water full year long.
An actual pool-I’d be covering it right now as we’re having leaf fall already!

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Spring loaded trampoline type cover with pop up brass studs in concrete. First year ever of not covering pool (33yrs), had 23 trees cut. Hate the thought of running filter/polaris year 'round.

They make some covers that roll out across pool as needed, but pricey. You can always revert to the old tarp and waterbags . . .

I take it you turn the pumps off with this cover, my question is, does algae grow during the winter or does it block enough light to prevent this?

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I take it you turn the pumps off with this cover, my question is, does algae grow during the winter or does it block enough light to prevent this?

Throw the breaker til Spring. It'll look like pond water in the spring. Contemplating turning on the filter about a month before opening, help clear it up. Takes a good 2-3 weeks to completely clear.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
FIFY!:wink:

OP-We just have a small stock tank pool and I wouldn’t even think of not covering it if we kept the water full year long.
An actual pool-I’d be covering it right now as we’re having leaf fall already!

Changed my mind and called the pool co to close mine 2 days ago.

oops1

Buzzard Expert

I used a roll of polly and Home Depot Buckets filled with water for years but my current dogs can’t stay off it now and I worried about them falling through. Thinking about going with the trampoline style off Amazon .

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I used a roll of polly and Home Depot Buckeyes filled with water for years but my current dogs can’t stay off it now and I worried about them falling through. Thinking about going with the trampoline style off Amazon .

Mine has small cuts/tears/holes from the dogs. They like to lay on it .

DannyW

Mine has small cuts/tears/holes from the dogs. They like to lay on it .

Yes, one of my dogs is bad about that. He thinks it's a stretchy longue chair. I chase him off it every time I see him on it. As my cover ages and deteriorates, I'm going to have to be even more diligent about keeping him off.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Yes, one of my dogs is bad about that. He thinks it's a stretchy longue chair. I chase him off it every time I see him on it. As my cover ages and deteriorates, I'm going to have to be even more diligent about keeping him off.

New cover price hurt my feelings . . and that's after the new liner, new filter, new Polaris pump this year .