In-Line Ignition

SWAMPFOX

I have a Traditions .50 in-line and I've been using Pyrodex in it. However, I'm thinking of switching to Blackhorn 209.

My question is: Will the fire from a #11 percussion cap be enough to ignite a 90 grain load of Blackhorn?

Thanks

GregoryB.

I think Blckhorn recommends the 209 primer. Tried it in my Hawken with a fire nipple and and #11 cap and it didn’t ignite.

frankwright

It will require the 209 primer and either a breechplug made for BH209 or one that has been drilled out to I think a #32 drill size.

SWAMPFOX

That's what I'm finding out. I'm trying to determine which of the Knight line of muzzle loaders do I want to take a closer look at.

JMN1976

That's what I'm finding out. I'm trying to determine which of the Knight line of muzzle loaders do I want to take a closer look at.
FYI..... I would recommend that you stay away from "plunger" style actions with BH209 and stick with any of the bolt, falling block, break action style guns which utilize a closed breech style action. The BH209 will blow back a plunger style action and send hot gas toward your face or potentially rupture the spring loaded mechanism and send a missle at your face. For example a Knight plunger style action is the "Bighorn or Wolverine" models the "Disc" is the closed breech design Knight offers but it still utilizes a primer carrier called the "disc"

Read up on the BH209 and heed the warnings it is some potent stuff and I personally don't believe the Knight style of closed breech action is the best for use with BH209. I would much prefer an actual closed breech where the primer is against a wall of steel rather than a plastic primer adapter (disc)

Last edited:

BarnesAddict

The Knight Ultra-Lite or the Mountaineer, either would be an excellent choice.

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/the-knight-mountaineer/
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/the-knight-ultra-lite/

However it were me buying either, it would without question be the 1:20 twist .45cal in either model. Not a bit of doubt in my mind.

Then I'd contact Bestill LLC and have Jeff install his Knight breech plug and change the bolt nose and make it a perfect rifle and shoot all the BH209 (within manufacturer's maximum) you want to shoot. OUTSTANDING RIFLE.

When finished, you'd have a rifle that will not only shoot BH209, but shoot more accurately than most people can shoot. The Mountaineer is a little heavier than the Ultra-Lite, obviously, but its a well proven accurate rifle to 500yds in competition.

With a .45cal, it allows you an almost endless choice of bullets if you choose to shoot land riding bullets. Land riders will need to be sized for your specific barrel. When the manufacturers first came out with the .45cal's, they didn't go over well at all, which really was because of the limited choices of bullets. Now, you can shoot land riders (bullet to bore) of any .451 or .452 bullets made. From cheap XPT's to bullets that cost over $2 a pop. The sky is the limit.

You will NOT get the accuracy, repeatability, nor long range accuracy with a .50cal as you will with a .45cal. And with high BC bullets, you can have much higher bullet energy at longer ranges.