Inflatables

bentrod7

Anyone have any experience fishing from a Sea Eagle 285f inflatable craft ? If so , care to offer reviews? Thanks in advance for any help !

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Not that particular boat, but I've fished out of our Saturn SD500 inflatable and it's been great once the boat is put together and inflated. For me though, I've found that getting the boat inflated and set up with all my fishing gear and electronics is just too much work.

Last edited by a moderator:

ringorock

Not that particular boat, but I've fished out of our Saturn SD500 inflatable and it's been great once the boat is put together and inflated. For me though, I've found that getting the boat inflated and set up with all my fishing gear and electronics is just too much work.

Did you use a car pump? I've been using the Intex Explorer K2 for some years now. I am actually upgrading them for fishing today by putting in a one piece floor and some actual seats. I've fished and snorkeled from it many times, but I want some rigidity. I never had an issue with setup times.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Did you use a car pump? I've been using the Intex Explorer K2 for some years now. I am actually upgrading them for fishing today by putting in a one piece floor and some actual seats. I've fished and snorkeled from it many times, but I want some rigidity. I never had an issue with setup times.

I have a 2-stage 12v pump, but inflating it is not the issue. It's assembling the floor, assembling the trailer (I made a folding trailer that fits in my truck), getting the battery and fish finder set up, setting up the bimini top and rod holders. The other problem is I have to have all my stuff portable to switch it between my inflatable and my jon boat. I've just come to the conclusion that we'll take two vehicles when we want to take the camper and to boat somewhere.

ringorock

I have a 2-stage 12v pump, but inflating it is not the issue. It's assembling the floor, assembling the trailer (I made a folding trailer that fits in my truck), getting the battery and fish finder set up, setting up the bimini top and rod holders. The other problem is I have to have all my stuff portable to switch it between my inflatable and my jon boat. I've just come to the conclusion that we'll take two vehicles when we want to take the camper and to boat somewhere.

Yea, we have the same situation, but my wife will not tow. The camper takes priority over a boat, so we'll just keep using our kayaks. We're just going to try to make the best of it. I'll let you guys know how it goes. haha

Taxman

Anybody got an new insight? Needing something to be able to fish out of when we are camping.

I just picked up a kodiak water master. I fished out of one similar last year and
liked it. Light weight and packable. Alpacka has a new one out that gets good reviews also.

weagle

I've looked into them, but never used one. From what I've researched I think I would be happiest with one of the SUP style, like this:

sop.PNG

GunnSmokeer

Weagle, that seat looks like it would put your weight significantly above the boat's center of balance and therefore it would be unstable. If you get some waves or a motorboat passes you bye and hits you with the week I'd worry about tipping over.

I built an 18" x 30" wooden support to which I attached a cheap plastic boat seat and that sits on a piece of protective padding on the floor of my inflatable raft --a Sea Eagle 12-footer with a 600 pound weight rating.
I estimate that the combination of the seat and the materials underneath me lift me up about 2 inches and the fact that my butt is no longer concentrating it's downward force in one area pushing down the vinyl floor of my boat takes another 4 inches away from my draft.

So, effectively I sit 6 inches higher than I would if I just put my butt on the bare vinyl floor of the inflatable kayak.

This has obvious and noticeable effects on my stability when I go over even class 1 or 2 rapids, or if I just happen to bump a tree limb or a single rock that's poking out of the water, if I ride up on it and then the current starts pushing my boat sideways, spinning me in place, I feel like I'm in danger of tipping over. (although I have not tipped yet.)

Before I put the seat in, the boat was much more stable when hit by waves.
But I want the seat most of the time for its excellent back rest.

GunnSmokeer

Anyone have any experience fishing from a Sea Eagle 285f inflatable craft ? If so , care to offer reviews? Thanks in advance for any help !

I just looked at Google and I didn't see a model "285F" are you talking about an FPB- a frameless pontoon boat? One with an attachment point on the back for a motor?

I have an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak that's 12 foot long and rated for 600 pounds, but I don't know if this is the same kind of vessel you're asking about.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Fish hooks and an inflatable fishing boat what could go wrong.

weagle

Weagle, that seat looks like it would put your weight significantly above the boat's center of balance and therefore it would be unstable. If you get some waves or a motorboat passes you bye and hits you with the week I'd worry about tipping over.

That's what I thought till I watched some youtube reviews and demos. Apparently the pontoon design is quite stable.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You would think, but the demos and reviews show that they are quite durable.

The military has been using inflatables for decades. I’ve personally air dropped them.

The cheap inflatables look problematic, easily punctured.

The pontoons have been popular for fishing for a few years now, like the Colorado.
Those have bladders separate from the out shell.

bentrod7

I just looked at Google and I didn't see a model "285F" are you talking about an FPB- a frameless pontoon boat? One with an attachment point on the back for a motor?

I have an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak that's 12 foot long and rated for 600 pounds, but I don't know if this is the same kind of vessel you're asking about.
The Sea Eagle catalog is showing 285F , a U shaped vessel, two oars ,place for small motor, one seat . Been making this model for quite awhile. Also taking interest in float tubes, taking things back to basic,as well as more comfortable. Tight Lines !

The sea eagle seat design takes up a lot of space inside the kayak. I have an intex explorer with inflatable seats which are attached to the sides by belts with snap-in connectors. I haven't used them much so don't know how they will hold up over time. This kayak has design flaws. I had to repair a split seam after a couple of trips, and had a puncture on the inside. Don't know how that happened. Also, it sits up too high in the water so it catches a lot of wind. It's like trying to paddle around on a balloon. Also, the color scheme has too much dark surface, which makes it uncomfortably hot and deteriorates the material.
Result: Lately I've been using something else. Can anyone recommend a decent inflatable kayak for under $150, preferably less ? Thanks