Ins and Outs of Hog Hunting

Jim McRae

I'm going on a hog hunt for the first time. I know nothing at all about wild hogs other than they taste real good if cooked right. ;) I need some expertise from some of you w/ experience w/ hogs. Where do you set up? What kinda sign do you look for, etc. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Jim M.

bubbafowler

Porkers

Where you going? What kind of terrain will you be in? What kind of hunting pressure do they have? My best recommendation for a beginner would be to find a wallow w/ alot of trees with high mud on them and set up downwind of them, becuase they have really good noses. The high mud normally means a big hog, but if all your after is meat, then dont worry bout the high mud.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
if there has been any hunting presure where your going, they will be in the thickest stuff you can find that is near the biggest water source.(swamp or river). I look for their trails leading into the thick. this time of year hogs live just like rabbits! It doesnt hurt to hunt them like rabbits, get somebody to push the thick for ya.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Unless there is a food source cocentrating them ,look for smoking hot sign. They love thick stuff and water.

sniper13

::ke:
Hunt them with either a pistol or if you must use a rifle, use the lighest one you can find with a SHORT barrel.
:bounce:
It makes climbing trees when they get after you much easier. A long barreled weapon will get hung on the limbs when you make your getaway :D