Insuring equipment??????

GAranger1403

I've been thinking.

With the gear I already have, and that which is on the way, and that which I plan to get soon, I have a substantial amount of money tied up. Much more than I could replace if damaged or stolen. So I'm asking does anyone here insure their equipment? Surely some of you guys with tons more goodies than I got do. More questions.

1. How much?
2. Where from?
3. Complete coverage, loss, damaged, stolen?

Thanks,
Jason

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Schedule it on your homeowners policy or renters whatever the case may be. Scheduled Personal Property is not subject to the standard deductible and is typically all risk. Make sure to talk to your insurance provider to find out how their coverage works.

Smokey

Schedule it on your homeowners policy or renters whatever the case may be. Scheduled Personal Property is not subject to the standard deductible and is typically all risk. Make sure to talk to your insurance provider to find out how their coverage works.

I'd be willing to bet that Secondseason knows what she is talking about;)

believer

Second Season is right on tract. I have a rider policy off my homeowners that covers mine. I simply had to produce the receipts for the equipment and they determined the rate for the coverage. As I add equipment, I fax it over and it is added to the policy. The expense is minimal compared to the cost. The only thing is they wouldn't cover anything that was under $100 so some of those items would have to be replaced out of pocket.:banginghe

Hoss

Some useful info here. I'm going to add it to the Tricks of the trade sticky above for folks future reference.

Hoss

quinn

I've seen some of your work i wouldn't want to lose my equipment either.good luck

rip18

BUT - homeowner's policies (even with a rider) do not generally cover your gear if you sell images - which you have done recently...

The best deal that I have found is to join NANPA (North American Nature Photographers Association) and buy insurance through them. There is a basic fee and then a few cents on the dollar to insure your gear.