INTERESTING DOINGS...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Saw my first indigo bunting of the year in my yard this morning. And the first green heron of the year down by the creek.

oldguy

6:09 sitting on the porch in the dark enjoying the peace and quiet and just now a chuck-will's- widow started sounding off! Don't get to hear them much here in town. My wife asks: "Why do you sit out there in the dark like that?":)
I was trying to explain to her the other day my effection for native plants in the landscape rather than non-native, artifical "landscape" plants. My final point was Aldo Leopold's opening line to Sand County Almanac - "There are some who can live without wild things..." .
Man what a snakey Spring I'm having! Yesterday I saw two black snakes (racers) not 15 minutes apart on two different roads.
Anybody following the posts on thistle either in the trad archery thread or the gradening thread? How you feel about thistle? I like it.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Saw the first Shrike of the year, aka Butcher Bird today, he or she grabbing insects as I am bushhogging. That's one of my favorites. All the Bluebirds and Mockingbirds joining the party.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
6:09 sitting on the porch in the dark enjoying the peace and quiet and just now a chuck-will's- widow started sounding off! Don't get to hear them much here in town. My wife asks: "Why do you sit out there in the dark like that?":)
I was trying to explain to her the other day my effection for native plants in the landscape rather than non-native, artifical "landscape" plants. My final point was Aldo Leopold's opening line to Sand County Almanac - "There are some who can live without wild things..." .
Man what a snakey Spring I'm having! Yesterday I saw two black snakes (racers) not 15 minutes apart on two different roads.
Anybody following the posts on thistle either in the trad archery thread or the gradening thread? How you feel about thistle? I like it.
I like the native ones, hate and despise the non-native invasive noxious ones. As I said in the other thread, I propagate and plant native ones, and kill every bull, milk, or musk thistle I see. If you've ever seen what an infestation of bull thistle can do to a piece of good farmland, it's not pretty.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the first Shrike of the year, aka Butcher Bird today, he or she grabbing insects as I am bushhogging. That's one of my favorites. All the Bluebirds and Mockingbirds joining the party.
I've never seen one of those in my life. Always wanted to.

Red dirt clod

Rain crows back yesterday [ yellow eyed cuckoo] Whippoorwills came back last week. Baby wrens left the nest last week from our garage, had to leave the door cracked when I left home. 38 this morning, maybe a degree or so cooler tonight. Been a nice spring around here.

trents99

Finished up a privacy fence the other day and the next morning close to noon eyed about a 2' black rat snake perched on top of the fence catching some sun.

Yesterday the wind had stirred up some termites from somewhere in the woods and they were swarming the open area close to the house. Stood and watched as the dragonflys had a field day with them. They would dart amongst them and then you see just a little termite wing flutter to the ground.

oldguy

Saw the first butcher bird of the season yesterday and Eastern king birds as well. Elderberry blooming prolifically around the countryside. These 50 degree nights are keeping the water temperatures low - 60s. I haven't found any bream bedding yet. The fig tree has little "bloom" figs on it. All the mayhaws on our tree look like little porcupines.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No shrikes yet, but the chucks, kingbirds, indigo buntings, blue grosbeaks, orchard orioles, summer tanagers, great crested flycatchers, cowbirds, white ibis, Mississippi kites, rain crows, and hummingbirds have returned. My fig tree is gonna have a bumper crop this year, as well as one of my Meyer`s lemon trees.

Red dirt clod

34 this morning, no frost. Covered tomatoes & peppers yesterday, blueberries are loaded this year. Wrens built a nest in the spare tire of the Jeep again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
32 with snow showers here this morning.

oldguy

No shrikes yet, but the chucks, kingbirds, indigo buntings, blue grosbeaks, orchard orioles, summer tanagers, great crested flycatchers, cowbirds, white ibis, Mississippi kites, rain crows, and hummingbirds have returned. My fig tree is gonna have a bumper crop this year, as well as one of my Meyer`s lemon trees.
Send those Mississippi kites down here for a fly over! I'm gettin' a crick in my neck staring up!

35 Whelen

Saw a Rose Breasted Grosbeak for the first time ever. We are just inside their breeding range up here in the mountains, never saw one down in Gwinnett County.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Seems to be a very good year for amount of birds and species flying through or sticking around this year.

oldguy

I agree!
Same with snakes as well. I just added a red bellied water snake to the list this morning Makes 7 different species so far! And I'm not actively hunting them.
I'm STILL waiting on my first Mississippi kite!
Rescued a fledgling Cardinal from the cat yesterday. Stuck him back in the nest. How long he stays rescued is up to him.

GeorgeShu

Last evening was treated to the sight of a lone wood stork gliding toward his roost area. Neighbor has a nice wooded pond at the back of his farm where they roost from time to time.

oldguy

Last evening was treated to the sight of a lone wood stork gliding toward his roost area. Neighbor has a nice wooded pond at the back of his farm where they roost from time to time.
Look prehistoric don't they?
Working on dropping the water/removing the beavers at a culvert for a landowner. Has created a feeding ground for the wading birds. This morning when I drove up a huge flock of wood ibis flew off, followed by a great blue heron.