INTERESTING DOINGS...

35 Whelen

Large bear in the front yard this morning! I was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee when I saw him through the front window, not more than 20 yards from the house. Went out on the front porch and he turned to look at me then walked slowly away and disappeared into the fog.

Ocmulgee44

I had a beautiful pair of little doves loving up on my pea patch the other day. They could both fly but chose to walk around on the ground with me no more than three feet or so away. These are probably young but it never ceases to amaze me how the same animal can be so different acting in different seasons. We have all probably seen those sly old gray ghost bucks of January turn to red of summer and lose 40 points on their IQ!dove.jpg

35 Whelen

Saw a Scarlet Tanager up here on the mountain yesterday, first one I have ever seen.

Today, just a little bit ago, I actually put a coat on to go outside. It is cold and very windy up here on this mountain!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Had a pair of Orchard Orioles visit yesterday. This morning saw the male again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Had a pair of Orchard Orioles visit yesterday. This morning saw the male again.
I had a pair nest in my yard about 20 years ago, and I haven't seen one since. Those swinging nests are fascinating.

GeorgeShu

It was a good day yesterday. Blessed to see TWO painted buntings!
One flew up on the stop sign at a rural crossroads, another near my tool shed at the property.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I saw a wingless red wasp on the handrail from back porch to carport driveway today. She was missing most of both wings just little rough stubs left. The interesting part was she bailed off that handrail and fell an easy 4 feet onto concrete with no apparent harm done. She continued on her way at a fast clip. She was roughly one inch long,and 1/4 inch high,meaning she fell 162 times her own height,there's nothing else I've ever seen do that, and live.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Nic is so tough that the gators would organize a relay to get him to shore,the idea of making him mad would be unthinkable.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I bushhogged the garden today,disrupted the cottonrat population, and watched several formations of dragonflies. The humidity is better today but looking forward to lower humidity and temperature.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For the last two afternoons on the way home, I've seen a cormorant sitting on a rock in the river below my house with its wings spread out. Not something you usually see here in the mountains.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
For the last two afternoons on the way home, I've seen a cormorant sitting on a rock in the river below my house with its wings spread out. Not something you usually see here in the mountains.
I see them pretty often around here on the lakes. I'm surprised to hear they're in your neck of the woods also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see them pretty often around here on the lakes. I'm surprised to hear they're in your neck of the woods also.
Yeah, I see them by the thousands sometimes down on Clark's Hill, but that's only one of a handful I've ever seen up here in my life.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
See the butterflies are starting their migration out of here. About a month early. Saw probably a hundred monarchs flying high through out the day

Latest posts