Interesting hunting bill introduced

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
why are they putting puma on the closed season list if they arent in GA?

They've been listed as a game animal with a closed season for decades, probably dating back to when they may have still existed in the state.

lampern

Debating the bill now. Looks like it will pass the state senate. Apparently it passed the state senate last year as well but not the state house?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

lampern

Those 90s cats were Texas cats unable to reproduce released as an experiment.

They were rounded back up.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A bunch of them got shot or ran over

Unless I`m bad mistaken, one of those "fixed" females had a litter too. Ol Cuz got his picture taken with T43 when they tranqued him, south of Providence Canyon. I saw him cross a ROW between El Model and Newton, a few weeks before he was caught.

Terry Kile was keeping track of those that came up here, and was giving a weekly report on them.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I thjnk at least one of them just evaporated too

gtb3440

"... and manage the extended archery season for metro areas."

Rhetorical and somewhat random question: If I have to have my vehicle emissions done in Henry County because Henry is in the metro area, why isn't Henry on the list of extended archery season counties?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
"... and manage the extended archery season for metro areas."

Rhetorical and somewhat random question: If I have to have my vehicle emissions done in Henry County because Henry is in the metro area, why isn't Henry on the list of extended archery season counties?

because deer population and vehicle emissions aren't correlated.

Scallen2112

As an airgun hunter, I'm actually a little concerned about the .30 caliber being allowed. Almost all air gun hunting guides recommend no less that 200 foot pounds of energy to take a deer or hog with a vitals shot. There are certainly .308 air rifles that are capable of that, but they are all pretty high end. There are a ton of less expensive air rifles in .30 that don't even come to half that, however. My worry is that we will get people taking shots with a .30 that they can afford, not being able to get a clean kill, and DNR starts finding animals that died later with .30 air rifle pellets or slugs in them. When they revisit this in five years, there goes air gun hunting. I would be happier if they set the minimum at .357 or, better yet, set a minimum FPE requirement. Nothing will kill this sport faster than wounded animals starting to show up.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
As an airgun hunter, I'm actually a little concerned about the .30 caliber being allowed. Almost all air gun hunting guides recommend no less that 200 foot pounds of energy to take a deer or hog with a vitals shot. There are certainly .308 air rifles that are capable of that, but they are all pretty high end. There are a ton of less expensive air rifles in .30 that don't even come to half that, however. My worry is that we will get people taking shots with a .30 that they can afford, not being able to get a clean kill, and DNR starts finding animals that died later with .30 air rifle pellets or slugs in them. When they revisit this in five years, there goes air gun hunting. I would be happier if they set the minimum at .357 or, better yet, set a minimum FPE requirement. Nothing will kill this sport faster than wounded animals starting to show up.

I don't think it will be an issue, most any hunter would shy away from something that won't effectively kill a deer. We don't have a minimum draw weight on bows and that's never been an issue despite tons of bows on the market that aren't really adequate for deer. FPE requirements are a lot harder to enforce than you might realize too.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

i understand your concern and youre not wrong to be concerned. But keep in mind its legal in Ga to use a 25 ACP pistol to deer hunt with and its not been a problem. like killmaster said most hunters will use what is necessary.
we used to require a certain Foot pounds on pistol cartridges. its was unenforceable. same with bows--how is the foot pound draw weight going to be enforced? it was done away with probably 15 years ago and I dont know anyone now that doesn't use a bow that would have been illegal then.