Internet problem solved.......kinda!

DaddyPaul

Based on Phil's suggestion to try another computer I searched high and low for one to try! Duh, my little girl has our old one in her bedroom and it has a modem in it! Hooked her up to my monitor out in the computer/dining/home office and bingo, it connected without so much as a whimper. Now the question is, what is wrong with my other computer? Is it worth getting it looked at or should I just spring for a new system? It is a Pentium III, with Win 98, so even though it is my number one machine it is old as well.

QuakerBoy

Paul...my home computer is similar to yours....

If anything goes wrong with it...it will be replaced. For the price of some of the new units....it's hard to justify keepin the old one running..

DaddyPaul

Rich I like the way you think brother! I don't have a clue what a good one is or how much it will cost but I want one with a turbo charger and a kickstand! I am sick of this elmo thing. Trouble is though if I get a new one it will still be slow due to old phone lines! Nobody that lives around me can connect any faster than about 26,400 bps. Whatever that means? I don't care so long as I can hang with the Woodyites occasionally! Now I have to figure out how to get all of these games from Madelyn's computer to mine in the interim.

QuakerBoy

Paul,

I personally like the Dell computers and think they have some decent deals which of course change from week to week.

You connection speed may or may not change, but a faster processor (pentium 4) and the faster RAM should help images and such load faster.

Depending on what you want to spend, there are almost unlimited choices.

My Brother in law got a nice system from Dell fro about $650 shipped to his door.

Check you local ads also to see who as what on sale. Often you can find systems bundled with a printer and software packages for good prices.

DaddyPaul

How would a feller go about killing a Blaster worm? He is a funny critter if that is what it is 'cause my computer would connect to 1-800 numbers but not my local access ones? I still don't understand the whole situation to tell you the truth! I don't see how it can connect to a 1-800 number and not a regular one? Then again I am far from a computer guy.

DaddyPaul

Other than whatever is wrong with my computer I haven't had any trouble with AOL. Well I did encounter one smartelmo in the tech department but I quickly got shed of him. I have NetZero ready to roll as soon as I figure out what I am going to do. It must not be a Blaster worm as you call it 'cause I can get on with the 1-800 numbers just not my local ones?

gabuckeye

rpaul11

Dell is a great machine - BUT I don't reccommend them! If you ever have a problem with it or your billing by Dell in case you buy it through them - you will be talking to someone in India who speaks broken english and could care less about you and your problem.

Don't buy a Dell man!

huntfish

Dawn2Dusk said:
Blaster should hinder all internet connections regardless of number dialed.

Your first problem is the fact that AOL is crap!

You got that right. When I got DSL through Bell South, I gave them the boot. Talk about not wanting to loose customers, they kept lowering their price till it got down to $9/month. Well what do you think about that price? they asked. :confused: I kindly said that I called to cancel my service, do I need to speak with someone else who has the authority? :crazy: Best decision I made. :smash: