Intracoastal waterway. Good or bad idea?

jbpriest

Hey y'all. So, I'm a big fan of fishing around Jekyll Island, and I was wondering if my boat would be safe in the Intracoastal waterway/inshore. It's a 16' bowrider with a 70 HP outboard. Picture attached. Might be a dumb question, but I want some advice before I drown myself if it's too small. Couple pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG950141.jpg
    IMG950141.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG950197.png
    IMG950197.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 63

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Is it self bailing? That would be the determining factor for me. I’ve had too many unexpected waves swamp my boat.

Redbow

I would fish out of that boat in the Intracoastal anytime.. The only problem with fishing there in our area is the boat traffic, aggravating as all get out..

poohbear

we use to fish 7to 9 miles offshore in a boat like that just have to watch the weather Closely and i do mean closely. But it should be fine

zedex

Gator Bait
I used to fish the Brunswick river as well as the many nearby lesser waterways in a 14ft cobia with a 40 horse mariner. On calm days, even had it a few miles off Jekyll.
Being a bit bigger and faster, I think a 16/70 would be ok

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I have watched that same exact boat take many waves over the bow in a lake. The front sits too low for me to take it anywhere where it might be sketchy

benellisbe

I went from Brunswick to St. Augustine via the Intracoastal on labor day weekend. Other than the bay in Brunswick, it was very smooth and I could have taken my 20' ski boat with no issues. IF the weather rolls in, it will get rough in a hurry.

Edit: we had multiple lake boats with our group that went (Starcraft, etc.) in the 20-22' range who had no issues. I would take it easy and be mindful of the weather.

Seanote

I would not have any problem taking it out in that water. I would try to stay out of traffic. There are lots of creeks and rivers off of the IW. I have fished out of all kinds of boats and get more conservative as I get older as to what I would do. Self-bailing is obviously the way to go. I would definitely have a large bilge pump and maybe a back-up. I wouldn't mess with the sound personally, but I am not as young as I was when I would. As always, your knowledge of the weather systems, marine wave data, and how to handle your boat are more important than the length of your boat. Know your limitations. Catch some fish.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I take a poling skiff into the ICW both in GA and FLA with no problems, boat traffic and be a pain, but not hard to deal with if you are paying attention.