Iowa for next year,,,might as well start looking now!!

NUTT

If anyone needs a good hookup in Iowa for 2020 hit me up. My good friend has 200 acres with lots of timber. 2 people at 2300.00 for bow season in Zone 5. Bow hunting only. 182 killed on it last year. Legit farm. I can get you in touch with him. Please though...only if you have points.

Jim Boyd

If anyone needs a good hookup in Iowa for 2020 hit me up. My good friend has 200 acres with lots of timber. 2 people at 2300.00 for bow season in Zone 5. Bow hunting only. 182 killed on it last year. Legit farm. I can get you in touch with him. Please though...only if you have points.

Real deal. Plan with confidence.

1shot1kill

sent you a message

z71mathewsman

Who all is buying a Iowa non resident tag this year?This will be my first time bowhunting Iowa,what can I expect?What would be the BEST days for the rut?

LEGHORN

Can expect to spend a lot of money on the tag, man it’s expensive. I’m trying this year, but only have 3 points; but may get lucky with this Covid mess changing many folks plans, etc. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, it’s absolutely amazing up there; just the land layout and amount of deer seen. Stick with Bill Weinke’s rule and plan your hunt around his “magic” day of November 8.

Jim Boyd

Who all is buying a Iowa non resident tag this year?This will be my first time bowhunting Iowa,what can I expect?What would be the BEST days for the rut?

You will get some debate but for the entire Midwest the best dates generally fall 5-15 November. Just about can’t go wrong.

A week trip is probably the minimum you want in case you hit a bad spot.... hot, two days rain, a snowstorm etc.

@LEGHORN has it nailed.

I have 5 Iowa points but I think I will wait and use them in 2024, the year I retire.

I am leaving on Halloween day this year - 2020 - and heading for west central Illinois. Can stay for two weeks.

Lost my archery partner over the Covid deal but hunting alone does not trouble me at all.

Best of luck to all hunters, regardless of state.

Went to Zone 9 last season and hunted a DIY hunt on the best land I have ever set foot on. Plan was for a 12 day hunt. Started hunting Oct 29th with 20 degree temps and snow. It was unreal, bucks moving everywhere and trailing/chasing does. I hunted a whole 1 1/2 days and killed this.
Oct30.JPG

Then on day 4 I got to watch my hunting partner shoot this and we were done !!!!
Nov1.JPG

Do your research and spend what you can because at best its a once every three year trip for archery.
Iowa2019draw.JPG

Ihunt

Up there it’s all based on the weather. If it’s cold the very end of October through the first week of November that is a great time. If it’s hot from the 7th- 15th it will not be great.

I would plan like Jim and go the 5th-15th and pray for cool weather. If you’re up there then and the lows are in the 30s with highs in the 50s it will be amazing.

Ihunt

And the wind will blow just like Kansas. Not as bad but bad enough you need windproof clothing

z71mathewsman

Yeah,,know all about that wind.Killed this one in Kansas back in 2015,wind chill below zero.But I just couldn't pass this buck up first 15 mins of daylight.I will be in Van Burean County Iowa this year.Looking for my 5th Pope& Young in 5 different states also.FB_IMG_1589490527849.jpgFB_IMG_1548522420486.jpg

Last edited:

livetohunt

I have never hunted Iowa, but I hunt in West Central Illinois which is close..The hunting at the end of October can be unbelievable if the weather is cold. The first few days of November are great and then I generally see a slowdown around the 8th-11th. I think during this period, a lot of bucks lockdown with does. Then the 12th -18th seems to be especially good for mature bucks. They are out searching. I have killed 3 of my best bucks on November 12th!! Whatever days you choose will be a hunt to remember I'm sure. Good luck!