Is a mature black walnut tree worth anything?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
This is quite accurate. Yard trees are a no-no to a business mill. Hobby mills may take them but better skin and scan before cutting deep.

When I was in the historic home restoration business the architectural saw mill that would make crown molding to match the original had metal detectors that would stop the machine before ruining the knives that had to be custom made.

Anvil Head

When I was in the historic home restoration business the architectural saw mill that would make crown molding to match the original had metal detectors that would stop the machine before ruining the knives that had to be custom made.
No argument there, but for one or two logs he's not going to find a "sophisticated" mill with that capability. I used a hand held scanner but still missed a few and it only takes one big staple or nail to wreck the blade.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
No argument there, but for one or two logs he's not going to find a "sophisticated" mill with that capability. I used a hand held scanner but still missed a few and it only takes one big staple or nail to wreck the blade.

If people would just use copper or aluminum nails when putting up posted signs. But old timers never thought about that.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I'll add my $.02 as an owner of a band sawmill and someone who clears a lot of trees(I'm a builder/developer).

Your best bet is to find someone with a band sawmill that will drop the trees for the wood. I would not go this route unless trees can be dropped 360 degrees without hitting something.

I would be concerned about liability if the people removing the trees were killed or injured.

You would also be left with a big mess to clean up when they were done.

When I give away 'free" wood I have the stems stacked and ready to load.

I put an add on CL for "free wood must take all" and a flatbed OO called and said he would take it. I loaded with my machine.

It would(no pun intended) have been cheaper and easier to throw it in a dumpster but I hate to see wood go to waste.

My dually got stuck in the mud and I did $3k+ damage when I backed into a 3.5" diameter pine tree. Dually truck bed sides are expensive to replace and so is 3 stage paint. Luckily I found a takeoff bed in pearl white for $800. No good deed goes unpunished.

View attachment 1017833View attachment 1017834
View attachment 1017835

I just posted the pics because everybody like to look at pics.

Here is an interesting thread on walnut on the forestry forum.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=98933.0
There maybe someone there that wants the logs.
Thanks for the link. Fascinating thread. If I wasn’t old an crippled up , I’d Have me a sawmill. Love To Be able to mill my own lumber

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I want to say THANKS to all of you that have already posted in this thread because I have always like the looks of Black Walnut wood, especially on a few firearms that I have seen in the past. Ya'll have really given me some great reading and a good education on the pros, cons, and everything in between in trying to handle a situation such as this. I really enjoyed learning all of the information mentioned in this thread, especially about a homestead type of Walnut because I am also guilty of leaving a few pieces of lead in certain trees in my yard while growing up and that obviously would ruin most any type of saw as well.

onedude

A guy from Delta, Al. told me a gun company bought a walnut tree from a lady for 1500.00. They also dug the stump up and fixed her yard.

chobrown

I’m not sure where the walnut came from we used in our house, but it came from a mill somewhere in Alabama. It’s the only place we could find 2 inch thick boards. We used it making all our countertops in our house.
EC3F2B9E-2BDD-48E1-8BF0-E9DD0E9565FC.jpegF71C2C02-DFE4-4973-9620-3F72CFBB4AC4.jpeg9EC5F9F2-C778-4141-B69D-E03256D3CA3E.jpeg

gunnurse

I have a supplier that cuts a lot of lumber on his bandsaw mill. He charges me $1.00 a b/f for air dried walnut. Not much profit there, huh.

Jimmypop

A shelf and some frames made from walnut I had sawed from our property. Walnut and cedar are my favorite local wood. I wouldn't waste any of either.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_183058506 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200516_183058506 (1).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20

Shadow11

I want to say THANKS to all of you that have already posted in this thread because I have always like the looks of Black Walnut wood, especially on a few firearms that I have seen in the past. Ya'll have really given me some great reading and a good education on the pros, cons, and everything in between in trying to handle a situation such as this. I really enjoyed learning all of the information mentioned in this thread, especially about a homestead type of Walnut because I am also guilty of leaving a few pieces of lead in certain trees in my yard while growing up and that obviously would ruin most any type of saw as well.

Same here. Very interesting info. The fact that a guy who's dad makes expensive custom furniture for people said he wanted them real bad, plus the fact that there are some expensive slabs being sold online made me think they might have value. Kind of a bummer, but good to know.