Is anyone else excited to fish the double brood?

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Excited to hit the local creeks and rivers.

What are you guys thinking? What flies will you be tying?

Do you have a cicada pattern?

I have a bunch of boogle bugs on standby.

I hope I can fish it. Haven't gotten my cicada pattern yet or heard any news about the hatch. I don't live in the hatch area so hoping to hear something when the action heats up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have the periodic cicadas in my county, too high elevation, I guess. But, in the general area, like where I work, this should be the year. Last hatch was 2007, and it was a sight to behold.
I'd like to hit some carp spots and catch them on top slurping bugs. That would be fun. The river smallmouth will probably be interesting too. I'll probably tie me up a few giant black foamy rubber-legged monstrosities and see what happens.

Resica

I don't have the periodic cicadas in my county, too high elevation, I guess. But, in the general area, like where I work, this should be the year. Last hatch was 2007, and it was a sight to behold.
I'd like to hit some carp spots and catch them on top slurping bugs. That would be fun. The river smallmouth will probably be interesting too. I'll probably tie me up a few giant black foamy rubber-legged monstrosities and see what happens.
We had it at camp at 3,000 feet in 2007. Never heard anything like it in my life!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We had it at camp at 3,000 feet in 2007. Never heard anything like it in my life!
I'm at a fuzz under 3000 at my house, but I have never seen any of the brood cicadas here in over half a century except for a couple strays. We just have the annual cicadas (jarflies.)
Around Asheville, the brood ones pop out by the millions every 17 years.

Resica

I'm at a fuzz under 3000 at my house, but I have never seen any of the brood cicadas here in over half a century except for a couple strays. We just have the annual cicadas (jarflies.)
Around Asheville, the brood ones pop out by the millions every 17 years.
That's what I've experienced here in S.E. Pa. Cicadas every summer but not many. You couldn't hear yourself think back in 2007 in the mountains, Tons of them landing on you too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I've experienced here in S.E. Pa. Cicadas every summer but not many. You couldn't hear yourself think back in 2007 in the mountains, Tons of them landing on you too.
Same in the lower elevation counties around here. Deafening. You'd get smacked three times walking across a parking lot. Then, when they laid eggs before they disappeared, literally pretty much every twig on every tree turned brown and fell off.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
My biologist friend just told me it will be hitting us pretty good about June. Said it gonna be a huge brood, but the size of the bugs will be smaller than the annual bug, they will have dark greyish / brown bodies and red eyes if you wanna pattern em. Flyrod bass guys down here are pretty excited

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My biologist friend just told me it will be hitting us pretty good about June. Said it gonna be a huge brood, but the size of the bugs will be smaller than the annual bug, they will have dark greyish / brown bodies and red eyes if you wanna pattern em. Flyrod bass guys down here are pretty excited
I might tie some by grabbing them and putting them on a hook. :bounce:

Richf7

I remember they made Savannah sound like a deep, dark, jungle.

Latest posts