Is bear season dead?

chrislibby88

I’ve been checking back in the bear forum weekly, looks like it’s almost died. I haven’t seen it this slow here since I joined. I figured some of you guys would still be chasing them. Guess this year is a right off?

I’m heading to Chestatee for the December hunt in a few weeks, mainly chasing deer, but once I get a buck I may start cruising for bears. Figured the massive acorn crop would give me better late season odds than years past.

jbogg

I am still hoping for one. Mostly trying to catch up to a mountain buck, but always looking for bear sign. The two cameras I have running over mock scapes only have sows with large cubs showing up, but they are still actively feeding.

ddd-shooter

I’ve been in bear sign this weekend. Super hot. They’re still active. I had a close call back the end of October. My father has killed.
Its a weird year for sure, but there will be more killed this year, although probably not by me, lol

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've seen very little bear sign in the places I've hunted this year. Last week, me and @The mtn man covered 11.6 miles scouting for a big buck. I found a pile of bear scat as big as a soccer ball. Whatever bruin deposited it was an absolute giant.

tree cutter 08

Don't give up yet. Seen one the other morning. They still feeding heavy on the reds. Walked many miles in ivy thickets and they are living there. Been averaging around a dozen on my cameras each week. Several in daylight but mostly night.

Professor

I have not given up. I have been hoping that the warm weather and abundant red oak crop will keep them feeding into December. Maybe by then will have exhausted enough of the acorns that they will have to travel some. I will back at Cohutta in December.

chrislibby88

Don't give up yet. Seen one the other morning. They still feeding heavy on the reds. Walked many miles in ivy thickets and they are living there. Been averaging around a dozen on my cameras each week. Several in daylight but mostly night.
Yea same situation as early season it seems.

chrislibby88

I have not given up. I have been hoping that the warm weather and abundant red oak crop will keep them feeding into December. Maybe by then will have exhausted enough of the acorns that they will have to travel some. I will back at Cohutta in December.
Yea I figured you were still after it. I’m rooting for you Professor! At the very least maybe another nice buck ruins your bear season. Haha.

Professor

I would take that. I ha
Yea I figured you were still after it. I’m rooting for you Professor! At the very least maybe another nice buck ruins your bear season. Haha.
I would take that. I have been hunting for a wall hanger and I am getting down. My plan was to secure a big one in middle Georgia and then moving on to the mountains for the bear and any rude deer. I got a few days still and I am sitting on a ridge listening to one grunt right now.

chrislibby88

I would take that. I ha
I would take that. I have been hunting for a wall hanger and I am getting down. My plan was to secure a big one in middle Georgia and then moving on to the mountains for the bear and any rude deer. I got a few days still and I am sitting on a ridge listening to one grunt right now.
Grunt back at him! And I usually don’t get a wall hanger until I give up on getting one and decide I’m just shooting anything.

splatek

UAEC
He ain't a bear and not as big as @Professor and @chrislibby88 shoot in the hills, but he'd be my first real buck and would certainly hang on my wall. He's been on cam now a few days. Unfortunately, I am unable to sneak up to the hills to hunt this one so I gave the coordinates to a buddy who was super helpful in me learning to bear hunt, and to just plain hunt. Hoping he sticks something good up there.

IMG_0855.PNG

Professor

He ain't a bear and not as big as @Professor and @chrislibby88 shoot in the hills, but he'd be my first real buck and would certainly hang on my wall. He's been on cam now a few days. Unfortunately, I am unable to sneak up to the hills to hunt this one so I gave the coordinates to a buddy who was super helpful in me learning to bear hunt, and to just plain hunt. Hoping he sticks something good up there.

View attachment 1051619
Can not see if he is a 6 or 8. Can you see that in some of the other images? Also, has your friend gone after him yet? This is like a soap ora.

tree cutter 08

View attachment 1051619
Thats as fine of a mtn buck as there ever was!

ddd-shooter

View attachment 1051619
Dude's a hoss! Good on you for sharing. Don't think I could, lol