Is everything written in Holy Scripture intended for me to do?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have this strange opinion that your religion should be between you and who/whatever you consider to be the Higher Power, and is nobody else's business but yours.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have this strange opinion that your religion should be between you and who/whatever you consider to be the Higher Power, and is nobody else's business but yours.

I respect that. I look at it sort of like introducing someone to my dad. If they know him then any talk is fair game. If they don't strike me as someone who would care to know him then I don't bring him up. The very best I can do is to (just as I would my father) represent him the best way I know how. If I'm doing it right they will respect his raising of me. If I do it wrong then probably best if they don't know who my father is.

Madman

I respect that. I look at it sort of like introducing someone to my dad. If they know him then any talk is fair game. If they don't strike me as someone who would care to know him then I don't bring him up. The very best I can do is to (just as I would my father) represent him the best way I know how. If I'm doing it right they will respect his raising of me. If I do it wrong then probably best if they don't know who my father is.
I agree, I talk about those I love. My wife, my children, my grandchild, my Lord. Anyone want to hear about them?

Israel

BANNED
I agree, I talk about those I love. My wife, my children, my grandchild, my Lord. Anyone want to hear about them?
Yes...tell me about our Lord.

gordon 2

I will tell of my Lord. Did you know that:

"Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume."

It is said that Mary prepared Jesus, anointed him, before his death. Jesus said of her that she had done a beautiful thing. Now read that it did not only fragrance Jesus, it fragranced the whole house.

Now brothers when you are in a house of worship or perhaps alone in prayer in your house and a sudden fragrance, bold and sweet, powerful overwhelms your surroundings, don't assume it is the ladies' perfumes to your right or that everyone there is aware of the fragrance. It just might be our Lord preparing you to die and to live. And such is my witness, my telling of my Lord, your Lord which empties all corruption to fill it with love which overfills life, your's and all of life not unlike the perfume that Mary ministered to the feet of Jesus which would overwhelm the whole house.

Madman

Yes...tell me about our Lord.
I probably don't know as much about him as you do. Jesus Christ is the second person of the triune God. He is one in person two in nature. The Nicene Creed can flesh out more, however, he left the beauty and majesty of heaven and intimacy with the Father to don flesh, come to earth in order to show me the love of the Father and show me a way so much better that I had been designed for.

So incomplete. Would require many chicken wings and much tea.

Israel

BANNED
I probably don't know as much about him as you do. Jesus Christ is the second person of the triune God. He is one in person two in nature. The Nicene Creed can flesh out more, however, he left the beauty and majesty of heaven and intimacy with the Father to don flesh, come to earth in order to show me the love of the Father and show me a way so much better that I had been designed for.

So incomplete. Would require many chicken wings and much tea.

Kinda makes eternity fitting then, doesn't it? To be given the inexhaustible to share the inexhaustible.

The appearing of time's limit I often forget is a blessing...even when its pressing comes in almost unbearable terror...as to a child watching the clock at lessons thinking "but I am still on only the first question of the test"...

I have had this dream many times of myself when, as a visiting nurse, I would be given my assignment for the day...of who to visit, addresses, diagnosis, some history, their last condition at their last visit...but in my dream I research these matters till 4 or 5 o'clock...the time when I should be done with visiting...and way too late to even think of starting...I shall never get done! I have not even started!

I have never felt "right", even rightly prepared for anything of this life...at best I have mimicked as though prepared, even 40 years of nursing...and I have always felt all the others were "real" nurses...myself a fraud just copying ...but never really knowing as all the others seem to. Everyone else seems to have the handle...be "at home" while I myself, like an alien, try to keep my true identity as fraud secret. Sometimes I would marvel at how others could think I "really am" what they are...like they are.

If I have carried this fraud to our relationship that I might be trying to appear to you as "knowing better"...I really don't.

Perhaps your response to my question or appeal is just what I have needed...granted in time.

Israel

BANNED
Are you sorry for priming a pump?

Jesus is the only one who has ever made me feel...what? Comfortable? Able? "At home" enough (?) to be able to come clean about all my fraud. Saying "I love"...when I have had little understanding of that matter. "I care" when all I truly seem to care about is keeping my skin intact. "I know"...or "I understand"...when it can be made, has been made, is so ridiculously easily made apparent...I do not. I would complain about what seems to come from left field...or as a curve ball...only showing I don't know at all, have no skill at all..."Pitch em slow and consistent!" so I can tell myself I am a decent hitter...or at least no worse than any other. Ha!

I found out a secret, even if it seems to me...to only be between He and I...

I mean it's there...it's written, it's plain if I do know how to read...(but as with all my seeming knowing...do I? do I know how to read...at all?) But I read...as bad or as well...as I do. I am what I am, do what I do.

I read this "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do".

Is it my secret...only? Do I read correctly? That forgiveness is granted toward, and upon the basis that what is doing the doing, thinking it knows...doesn't?

It seems like those objects have no choice if they have any of the slightest inkling of the value of forgiveness. Either accept somehow...(oh, and how strait a place that seems!) that forgiveness in that place of thinking one knows better (when one really doesn't) is all and only that place where forgiveness is granted and found!

But I want to be "the one" who knows better! What do I have to do, to be...to "know better"? I thought Jesus would do this for me...deliver me from all that fraud...so that I would really be "that one"...like it seems all the others have appeared...as "the ones"...who to me...have known better. I don't want to be a wooden boy anymore!

I don't want to like dust passing away, like grass withering...flower fading! No...no...not me...too!

I don't know how, in that secret there came a knowing through all the furious striving...that not one seemingly insignificant speak of dust can ever even be apart from the Lord's ordination and will and power to uphold. Dust is so common...so ubiquitous, so much of even a nuisance seeming thing...yet...even dust cannot have any origin but in God. Is it enough?

I find it too great a gift that the only One who has right to ask (and has) first posited that question to me...has made it something He allows me to keep...as though I am made able to ask...even of myself, and somehow be sobered..."Is it enough?"

And if...and when...as I most assuredly have...forgotten...there is One tirelessly committed to reminding. And He's not ashamed to "just" be that...as needed...the RE-minder.

Last edited:

Madman

Kinda makes eternity fitting then, doesn't it? To be given the inexhaustible to share the inexhaustible.

The appearing of time's limit I often forget is a blessing...even when its pressing comes in almost unbearable terror...as to a child watching the clock at lessons thinking "but I am still on only the first question of the test"...

I have had this dream many times of myself when, as a visiting nurse, I would be given my assignment for the day...of who to visit, addresses, diagnosis, some history, their last condition at their last visit...but in my dream I research these matters till 4 or 5 o'clock...the time when I should be done with visiting...and way too late to even think of starting...I shall never get done! I have not even started!

I have never felt "right", even rightly prepared for anything of this life...at best I have mimicked as though prepared, even 40 years of nursing...and I have always felt all the others were "real" nurses...myself a fraud just copying ...but never really knowing as all the others seem to. Everyone else seems to have the handle...be "at home" while I myself, like an alien, try to keep my true identity as fraud secret. Sometimes I would marvel at how others could think I "really am" what they are...like they are.

If I have carried this fraud to our relationship that I might be trying to appear to you as "knowing better"...I really don't.

Perhaps your response to my question or appeal is just what I have needed...granted in time.
"Knowing better" was not meant as a slap. Each follower of Christ is being led on a journey that only the Shepard knows is needed. The narrow path that I am on is slightly different than yours.
Some sheep, for various reasons, are drawn by the love of the Father and the caring of the sheep, as for me, his Crozier pulls me close, reminding my delinquent heart of my need for him.

Sometimes I desire a different knowledge, but I trust him with my life and soul because I do know know that he loves me as only a father can.

Israel

BANNED
"Knowing better" was not meant as a slap. Each follower of Christ is being led on a journey that only the Shepard knows is needed. The narrow path that I am on is slightly different than yours.
Some sheep, for various reasons, are drawn by the love of the Father and the caring of the sheep, as for me, his Crozier pulls me close, reminding my delinquent heart of my need for him.

Sometimes I desire a different knowledge, but I trust him with my life and soul because I do know know that he loves me as only a father can.

I am inclined to see the whole of the "what will this man do?" exchange covers your agreeable statement in:

Each follower of Christ is being led on a journey that only the Shepard knows is needed.

How the Lord will be glorified in each is His business.

I have sometimes been forced to consider in times of an honesty I seem only all too infrequently able to bear

"Would it be "enough" for the Lord to use me as an example of all a man should not be?"

That is, if it pleased Him, to be formed as example for others (for God alone ordains blindness and sight) as all of the one who "calls himself a believer"...to not be. Chief hypocrite. Chiefest of the ignorant and blind thinking he both knows and sees. Chiefest of sinners...in every way.

Very much only a sign that says "Don't go that way" (Don't be that guy)

And though it should be clear such a singularity also implies a pride of sorts (apart from the plainly obvious stink of some sort of martyrdom complex), I nevertheless see no way around it.

Not unaware that as though a man, who might say "Lord, do with me as you want" could seem very pious...but the truth of the matter is...who is going to resist the Lord doing as He so wills, anyway?

I understand this may sound a coldly transactional matter as though between a slave and master. But if one has learned (as it seems the Lord has seen fit for me) I also have a proclivity toward an unwholesome familiarity.

It is like my child telling me "OK, I will let you be my father". (Letting such thinking stand may not be in the child's best interests of understanding "how things are")

Gordon has mentioned (if I understand him) a distinction between the "dissenters" form of understanding, or dissenters religion as opposed to something else. I suppose he means what was birthed in a stew of dissent so to speak.

I have been birthed out from the most contrarian of forms. And though I would be hard pressed to make an argument there may be some who "naturally" have a love of God, of authority, of truth...I must also concede to what the Lord whose name I claim as salvation has said:

"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance". and "The physician comes not for the well but for the sick"...whether He means I understand that there are those who are already "righteous" for whom He did not "have to" come, or those who are well apart from his ministry of health...does a sort of work in me..."don't automatically assume everyone is just as depraved as you believe/see yourself to be or have been".

For I too have known the way of projection...imputing to others the malignant motives I see in myself...as cause of their actions and demeanor. Thinking some man may just be seeking a preeminence...because I see that craven instinct in myself. The man may just be...true.

I am so often easily led to the false comfort of..."well, maybe I am no worse than anyone else, after all..."

To some, I would guess this sounds like the most nerve wracking and terrifying tightrope walk imaginable...but the outworking of it is a peace that I cannot do a thing...about anything in fixing of myself...in two terms of the word. I cannot fix what I believe I see wrong (either about myself or any other)...nor can I "fix myself" to position...as though a man might say I have fixed my location by GPS.

Sometimes I get giddy with it. What at times would appear only the most dire dread to sustain. "Only the Lord knows"

And, is that enough?

If it is not...what would be?

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Madman, you have indulged me without any show of pointing out what could be my self indulgence...or hi-jacking of your OP. I see it and appreciate it.

And your patience has worked toward me to bring me to this point in it all, which I hope you can find not only fitting to the OP in a way...but also appreciate with me, and that for me, another burden I find lifted as you let me "ramble on".

In all this rambling I come to that place where it would appear Paul and the seeming meaning of his words and my testimony crash headlong into each other...a real head on collision...

"Follow me as I follow the Lord"

How to take those words? Must I be, should I be, am I encouraged to be also...one who can say them? (or perhaps any of us?)

I had some small hope that some matters of truth to me, about me, for me(?) would make it so plain that were I to do so such, hilarious laughter, that is to me the most (and only) right response, would be all I hear.

Did I just say...truth? Me? Is that not even funny? As though I have "laid anything out" at all...when all can just be another layer of camouflage?

But...I have felt those words like a burden...this comes to me as brief narration to myself: "you must be someone (as you believe you see Paul) who can with straight face, say them"

Or in other words, then by extension "Every believer should be worth emulating" How many could easily look at me (really, who could not?) and not find I give enough ammunition for my own execution? And worse, (far worse) How many have I, likewise...executed? How many "dismissed"?

It's such an easy thing "This or that one seems so unlike the Lord (to me). Surely I can easily do without them"

If Heaven could cringe I would surely be its cause.

But, did Paul not say it? Is it, or better, how is it to be understood or received? Is it for me, and likewise...for everyone? To the point of your OP.

As one who has seen some of horrific outcomes of my own "trying to represent myself as a worthy example" both in pain for others and just as obvious frustrations to myself...again I think "If Heaven could cringe".

But, I am persuaded..."it" does not, cannot, and even one such as I, cannot make it so. Though I be found all of cringeworthy, Jesus Christ is able to preserve the place where it does not reach. A threshold where shame cannot cross. Where regret is repulsed. Yet, it is real...as real as I know I have no right to know it.

And so giddiness ensues at thoughts of such grace. That very seeming paradox upends all my reason, that a thing can be made to know that if left to itself and its "rights"...could know nothing.

Obviously there has been for someone a much needed intervention.
And a continual one that is no less necessary.

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

The OP is perfect to me and for me when I consider it in that light.

That "seeing" that another has testified to is life to me when received as a thing "to do".

seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

I cannot live apart from the seeing of this...even though all of me as I might represent only proves its very necessity.

Thanks brother.

Last edited:

StriperAddict

Yes, amen! To say otherwise would be to disown that grace, yet it (He) never disowns.
An ongoing need to see our need is unstoppable in the myriad of our confessions and sometimes not seeing. I'm glad His glasses don't fog, or, our Lord weary of our frequent mishandling of this very grace on which He has us stand. Necessary indeed!

Madman

Madman, you have indulged me without any show of pointing out what could be my self indulgence...or hi-jacking of your OP. I see it and appreciate it.

And your patience has worked toward me to bring me to this point in it all, which I hope you can find not only fitting to the OP in a way...but also appreciate with me, and that for me, another burden I find lifted as you let me "ramble on".

In all this rambling I come to that place where it would appear Paul and the seeming meaning of his words and my testimony crash headlong into each other...a real head on collision...

"Follow me as I follow the Lord"

How to take those words? Must I be, should I be, am I encouraged to be also...one who can say them? (or perhaps any of us?)

I had some small hope that some matters of truth to me, about me, for me(?) would make it so plain that were I to do so such, hilarious laughter, that is to me the most (and only) right response, would be all I hear.

Did I just say...truth? Me? Is that not even funny? As though I have "laid anything out" at all...when all can just be another layer of camouflage?

But...I have felt those words like a burden...this comes to me as brief narration to myself: "you must be someone (as you believe you see Paul) who can with straight face, say them"

Or in other words, then by extension "Every believer should be worth emulating" How many could easily look at me (really, who could not?) and not find I give enough ammunition for my own execution? And worse, (far worse) How many have I, likewise...executed? How many "dismissed"?

It's such an easy thing "This or that one seems so unlike the Lord (to me). Surely I can easily do without them"

If Heaven could cringe I would surely be its cause.

But, did Paul not say it? Is it, or better, how is it to be understood or received? Is it for me, and likewise...for everyone? To the point of your OP.

As one who has seen some of horrific outcomes of my own "trying to represent myself as a worthy example" both in pain for others and just as obvious frustrations to myself...again I think "If Heaven could cringe".

But, I am persuaded..."it" does not, cannot, and even one such as I, cannot make it so. Though I be found all of cringeworthy, Jesus Christ is able to preserve the place where it does not reach. A threshold where shame cannot cross. Where regret is repulsed. Yet, it is real...as real as I know I have no right to know it.

And so giddiness ensues at thoughts of such grace. That very seeming paradox upends all my reason, that a thing can be made to know that if left to itself and its "rights"...could know nothing.

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

The OP is perfect to me and for me when I consider it in that light.

That "seeing" that another has testified to is life to me when received as a thing "to do".

seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

I cannot live apart from the seeing of this...even though all of me as I might represent only proves its very necessity.

Thanks brother.

Much to agree with here.

I have long thought that Christianity is like the parable of the King, prince, and urchin. In short the King sends the prince into the market to find the most feral child he can in order that he might be brought to the castle, adopted, and taught to BE a prince. In my case he found me, a madman, an enemy, and brought me in. The process of becoming is just that a.process. Christianity is about becoming a god, to be by grace what the Father is by nature.

For some of us this process, should we die in a state of grace with God, would include purgatory., but that is another topic.

P.S. I keep a journal it is called, the ramblings of a madman. I constantly ramble.

God's peace to all. There is much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season.

Israel

BANNED
Feral. Yes, I like that a lot. I have watched my wife make almost pets of the several cats she feeds with with daily consistency and patience that once scattered at her approach and now gather around her for petting...even when she doesn't have food in her hands. They still find me a little dodgy.

And the few who again, with much patience, were taught to be able to live in the house in peace with one another.

Katz party of 5 queuing up at back door awaiting breakfast

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 1

gordon 2

I'm not sure what's happening or happened in this tread. My mind or brain is mush to a lot of things and sometimes I just got to go with my heart.

So here goes.

…27Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God! 29Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”…

Personally I have a strong belief because of Peter, the apostle. No witness is more human and ordinary that Peter for me, his character, his failings, his convictions, his two feet on the water, his two feet on the ground, his head right side up, his head upside down. Peter seems to be a good neighbor kind of person, not perfect in everyway, but good. He is a good type for humankind for me. He embraces his humanity and our own with the light of salvation-- sometimes not without coaxing or another's persuasion. Not unlike ourselves, Peter is.

If I had to believe from an other's witness, having had none of my own, I would believe due to Peter as a person. If I was to know God only from another's witness it would be Peter's. There is something about Peter that is universal-- that deserves trusting and a deep engagement in faith. There is something about Peter that reaches out of the the strain of the world, which he knows well, and into the bliss or assurance of eternal life and this alone is perhaps all the witness most of us need to know our Lord--Peter's.

Last edited:

Madman

I woke up thinking of this about 3:00 AM. The first Scripture that came to mind was "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". Roman's 3:23
Yet we know that is not true when taken literally.

If everything means everything then why doesn't everyone mean everyone?

Israel

BANNED
I woke up thinking of this about 3:00 AM. The first Scripture that came to mind was "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". Roman's 3:23
Yet we know that is not true when taken literally.

If everything means everything then why doesn't everyone mean everyone?
Interesting how God wakes us.
For me this AM it was in consideration of God's pleasure and my ceaseless/endless need of His grace (even when I don't...or especially when I do not seem as conscious of it as some other times) to believe.
Me peeing in the pot and thinking..."how could anything or anyone be pleased with me?" And God? Well, maybe I could get my dog to be pleased with me, she seems rather easy to fool...with not very far reaching concerns or demands...but...God?

It is not so much that it is beyond me to "act" at most times a certain way...to do things a certain way...but once entering into any form of conscious relationship with anyone that includes "knowing me"...well the matter becomes laughable. Pleasing? And knowing me at the same time? Too mutually exclusive.

On the one hand there seems enough dread and trembling to not dismiss the significance of God being pleased...but when I enter the equation of it...(where does this giddiness come from?)...how absolutely absurd it seems.

It's almost as though, no, forget the almost. It really is "God, you know me. If I know anything (though I may not know the depths of it)...I know that...so if that knowing is true...whatever knowing of myself is included there absolutely negates me finding anything of me...to please...you". With enough fear I side step the place of "therefore considering your good pleasure Father is all of vanity and frustration and...ultimately useless". No, something keeps me from going there. For I find I am not to conclude the conversation in that way. O! Grace!

Make every effort to find out what pleases the Lord.

How much effort is in every? Is there an end? Is there...to effort? Thankfully the Lord is not done. He who lives, who declares Himself the ever living One, continues in intercessions in His ever living.
The reminder comes that

"If any man come to me and hate not his own life he cannot be my disciple".

And of course it becomes plain it cannot be a matter of trade..."If I hate my life enough...you will teach" That matter is a matter of reality...in that place of hating...is when the Lord is far more than willing to be known, seen, instruct....for the man "pleased with himself" not only finds the Lord a joke...but all of unnecessary.

It seems an untenable place...and is...all of impossible...except for God. Who could ever choose this place?

Then He reminds me of love...even as I have known it "in this world". The man who is head over heels...is head over heels with the object of his affection. Does he think..."Of course she should love me"? Does he think "No wonder she finds me so appealing"? Does he much think of himself at all...except as such might be "I don't know or care if I have done anything to deserve this all too wonderful situation...all I know is it is too wonderful!" And I think the case is too easily made that were a man to think "Of course she should love me..." he really isn't head over heels at all.

The staling of relationships, or even stalling...well, familiarity breeds something in its entropy. Maybe we all know something of this. But newness...when the newness is all satisfied by just looking steadfastly without flinching into another's eyes (and it is enough for hours and hours)...The Lord will not have settled for something less.

"Mary has chosen that good part and it will not be denied her"

But...then there's that: "OK, but there's work to be done besides just sitting and listening for you, to you, with you" (though it never really seems to come out that way, or so plainly) And we must be reminded to listen for the Lord is to listen with the Lord...for He only speaks what He hears. Is it really "enough" for Him to see someone made willing to sit with Him?

Yet, He is unconcerned (as in not worried) that I may think I must find something to present other than my attention. For to be directed to His eyes...is to see whose eyes He has set His upon...and He is not flinching. His is an inexhaustible interest (investment) in His creation...without shame.

To the rest of the world (yes, even those close and closer still) being so lost to another seems folly. "Don't worry...he'll come back to earth soon enough, when the newness wears off."

And somehow I know this is all impossible for me, even all impossible to will myself to believe. Thankfully what is impossible for man...

Madman

Interesting how God wakes us.
For me this AM it was in consideration of God's pleasure and my ceaseless/endless need of His grace (even when I don't...or especially when I do not seem as conscious of it as some other times) to believe.
Me peeing in the pot and thinking..."how could anything or anyone be pleased with me?" And God? Well, maybe I could get my dog to be pleased with me, she seems rather easy to fool...with not very far reaching concerns or demands...but...God?
Such colorful language. LOL was it the consideration of God or the need to "pee in the pot the woke you".

"Mary has chosen that good part and it will not be denied her"

Yes we have a difficult time sorting the previous verse
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, "

But...then there's that: "OK, but there's work to be done besides just sitting and listening for you, to you, with you" (though it never really seems to come out that way, or so plainly) And we must be reminded to listen for the Lord is to listen with the Lord...for He only speaks what He hears. Is it really "enough" for Him to see someone made willing to sit with Him?
Yes. Fixers and doers we are, I would do better to stop, listen, and dwell in, to ruminate on.

I used to be ashamed to receive communion after private confession with a priest, it was almost overwhelming to think he could lay the Host on my tongue after hearing how "debauched" I really am. Then in his grace, as you mentioned, God opened the truth of His love, grace, and healing balm.

When I "kick against the goads" the Shepard's staff is used to rein me in, as a father would apply to an unruly teen whom he truly loves. When I approach with a "broken and contrite heart" he pulls me into his lap and says, here is new day my child do not soil it.

Last edited: