Is it over.....

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ll subscribe to yall’s you tube channel !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
She's still there. Definitely cubs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Still there yesterday afternoon. I'm curious to see how long she stays there.

NCMTNHunter

That is awesome. I know of two den trees that you can hear bear breathing in almost every winter. I’ve never seen one den up right on top of the ground like that. I turned dogs loose on a late season track once that I knew to be at least 24 hours old. They jumped the bear within about 300 yards and I always figured it was a situation similar to this.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can hear the cubs squeaking now and then. I think they den up like that pretty often. What you can't really see in the pics is that there is a big rootwad on her north side from a blown-over tree there that she's snuggled up under for some shelter, and the morning sun comes in there good.

Rabun

Curious how long she will stay also. I would think this warm weather might get her going but I don't know if they wait for the cubs to be a certain size/age before getting active. A bear cam would have been really something on this sow. Thanks for the updates and keep us posted (y)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Curious how long she will stay also. I would think this warm weather might get her going but I don't know if they wait for the cubs to be a certain size/age before getting active. A bear cam would have been really something on this sow. Thanks for the updates and keep us posted (y)
Actually, except for the last couple days, it's been pretty durn cold lately. Teens and single digits last week with highs around freezing most of the week. It's warming up the last few days, but we were still below freezing last night. I'm guessing around the first of April maybe?

Rabun

Wow..considerably chillier up your way. I would think you would want to exercise some caution around wake up time...especially given she has cubs?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow..considerably chillier up your way. I would think you would want to exercise some caution around wake up time...especially given she has cubs?
Yep. She's just kinda of dazed and confused right now like somebody sedated for outpatient surgery, but that will probably change soon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
She's still there, but seems to be more awake now. I checked on her this afternoon, and she was sitting up licking her cubs. She woof!ed at me when I got a little too close.