Is it too early for the bucks to be doing this???

Scout-N-Hunt

Can't be .......... but it must be ........... it is! Thought it was way too early for this. Anybody seen this yet?

Scrape1.jpg

Scout-N-Hunt

A better look

A little closer now
Scrape2.jpg

Scout-N-Hunt

And then there was this one ........

Whadda Ya'll Think???

Dsc_0017.jpg

BOWHUNTER!

That my friend would be a scrape! We have a few popping up on our lease as well. Nothing serious, but scrapes nonetheless.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Yes --- it's time.

I'm sure there is at least some breeding taking place right now.

We had an eight come in for mounting today and it's hocks stunk terribly.

We also have scrapes and rubs at our club.

Thunder

If they...

are already marking, you have a good ratio of bucks-does, with more than a couple of "big boys" letting the others know they are there....your in a prime spot! :yeah: With Thanksgiving being the primary rut, mid Nov should be awesome!!!!

Love to see this stuff! :clap:

Anyone else seeing this type of activity this early? If so, your thoughts?

DaddyPaul

I watched a 3.5 or 4.5 year old 8 point chase does for 20 minutes Saturday morning down here in Florida. Not uncommon at all for them to be chasing wide open when our archery season opens.

Timberman

My buddy up here who runs a processor backdated conception with a bunch of does last year. The mean was around Oct 5.

Deerman

Those are scrapes I saw couple at our club last weekend

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I think the shorter days (less daylight) also trigger them into the pre-rut.

meriwether john

The rut on the Ga. coast is early to mid Oct. Pre rut when scrapes are primarily made should be about now. Don't know where you took the pics but did appear sandy.
Does will also make small scrapes.

As Woody/JT stated breeding can start when the haedgear is established and will only abate when headgear disappears.

Hunt them puppies and you just might stick yourself 'ol Rudolf.

Haven't seen a scrape yet but some rubbing has been going on here on the west side.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
They're tearing the woods up here in Chatham county!I found a live oak ridge yesterday that was full of serious rubs and scrapes.I plan dusting off the rattling antlers and grunt call in the morning!:D

UGAalum13

SNH,

Where do you hunt. I killed a doe that was being chased by a small buck on opening day of bow season in Camden Co. a couple of years ago. The buck was a little six, and I was hunting a scrape line that had been there since late August. Georgia is about as diverse a state as there is to hunt the rut in. If you had the time and leases all over the state, you could probably hunt the rut almost everyday of the season if you moved around enough.

GA DAWG

I saw 2 young bucks sparring saturday eve.I've seen a bunch of horned trees no scrapes yet.Some small bucks as of yesterday were still in velvet here.

LMCGATOR

We Had A Fresh Scrape On The Edge Of A Soybean Field In Mid-august In Marion County. Looked Like A Young Buck By The Tracks.

ponyboy

:bounce: too early for what?.is that sand or snow? :crazy: i shot a doe trailing abuck sat. morn. :crazy:

cowboyron

What do ya'll really think about these scrapes. I seen one on our lease this past weekend where there is one laid down every year. I wouldn't call it a scrape it more like a pawing just a couple rakes of the hoof. I believe does and young bucks are the ones messing around right now. I know (or at least I think I know) that the big boys know when the time is right and they won't be messing around until. Them young'uns start to feel there oats right away but have not a clue. When you see that 3x3 or larger all tore up with a big wet spot and licking branches twisted and busted then ........................
"IT IS ON BROTHER" :banana: :banana:

Duck's and Buck's

yes

My brother in law kileed a 9 pt with a seventeen inch insde spread Mon. morning and he said he scouted Sunday and found two scrapes like those you saw and that is where he hunted and Bingo there he came. i was surprised , no velvet

Just 1 More

Conclusions and Hunting Implications:
This study provided new information on the scraping behaviors of wild white–tailed deer. We observed that scrape use is primarily nocturnal and highly seasonal, with most visits occurring 2–3 weeks prior to the rut. After the peak of the rut, bucks almost completely stop visiting scrapes. We also found that yearling and 2.5–year–old bucks mark the same scrapes as older deer, and marking behaviors by younger bucks are not delayed until later in the season. Although bucks may frequently investigate scrapes, the frequency of marking behaviors appears relatively low. This implies that chemical signals may be persistent, and that repeated marking is not necessary.

Because most visits occurred at night, marking was relatively infrequent, and mature bucks were not commonly observed, it might not be advantageous to hunt scrapes. Given this new evidence, concentrating hunting efforts on bedding sites, travel corridors, or feeding areas may be more advantageous. Since frequent scrape activity occurred just after dusk, hunting trails leading to and from scrapes might be an effective way of using these signposts to increase harvest opportunity. With this research and other projects at the University, we hope to learn even more about the role of these signposts in whitetail communication and behavior.

Author: Karen Alexy

Here is the complete article.. Pretty long but good

http://www.deerhunters.net/qdm/scrapes.htm