Is it worth it?

T-N-T

Good advice.

As to that...do you think a tarp with ventilation allowed for (I could build a frame to keep it up off the roof itself)...would suffice?
They make covers that breath. Purpose built for RVs. I believe they are water proof but allow air to move. Check those out.

pop pop jones

Yes.

Although we are essentially raising them daily, when they return from the weekend they look...bigger!

We did just recently get a decent deal on a RAM 2500 (5.7 Hemi, not Diesel) and I'm good to GCWR of 15K (which I plan to stay as far under as possible) unless I switch out rear axles. At the first we really were thinking almost exclusively of 5th wheelers...but unless I go gooseneck and smallish, (which is why the Escape looked great) I sacrifice the bed's use for much else...and most of the used trailers I see are probably about 20% cheaper than comparable 5th's. That's why I am now more inclined toward a 24-28 foot tow behind.

On both your and Ringorock's recommendation I did check out Grand Designs, they obviously hold good resale. Now to see if I can find anything in Minny plus that might be available used.

It may have been Renoir who said "if you would be a painter cut out your tongue", but I still enjoy talking/thinking about camping too much with you fellows, enjoying all the input.

You can buy a 5th wheel hitch for your truck, that has 4 pins which holds the tracks against the bed of the truck. Park the camper, pull 4 pins and stack more plywood than you want to unload..

pop pop jones

I've looked at rentals...and at least as a first time/few times...to see if the great grands are gunna like it as much as I hope. Just wanna hit a Lake (Hartwell, Keeowee, Hiwasee?) before it gets too cold. They keep asking "Boompah are we really going camping, when are we going camping?"

But I also know it can easily turn to something else, so yours is a very fitting suggestion. Seeing as how I have seen a few that would fit our bill for 100/night (and in some cases 75$)...it's a way cheaper way of testing the waters. And I wonder more (as my wife often suggests) I am just trying to recapture the joys I've known sipping morning coffee next to a fog laden lake just as the sun comes up.

Keeping in mind that 75 to 100 per night will be plus the camp site and the added fuel to get there. I tend to think, a lot of people are just better off staying in a hotel.

Oldstick

. That's why I am now more inclined toward a 24-28 foot tow behind.

Israel, have you looked at the Trail Manor line of campers? They involve a little more work to set up than a normal travel trailer, but not very much. You could tow one with the 2500 like there is nothing back there. This because they have a fold down mechanism that makes them somewhat like a pop-up camper for towing. Probably around 6 ft high, 23 to 25 ft towing length, and 4000 lbs max for even the largest models. Ours is a model 3023 which means about 23 feet for towing, then "equivalent space" to a 30 ft camper when opened up.

Construction is good, with all Aluminum roof and siding. No rubberized roof to rot in the sun. Hard to find new or used, but used prices are normally pretty good.

Israel

BANNED
Israel, have you looked at the Trail Manor line of campers? They involve a little more work to set up than a normal travel trailer, but not very much. You could tow one with the 2500 like there is nothing back there. This because they have a fold down mechanism that makes them somewhat like a pop-up camper for towing. Probably around 6 ft high, 23 to 25 ft towing length, and 4000 lbs max for even the largest models. Ours is a model 3023 which means about 23 feet for towing, then "equivalent space" to a 30 ft camper when opened up.

Construction is good, with all Aluminum roof and siding. No rubberized roof to rot in the sun. Hard to find new or used, but used prices are normally pretty good.

Hey, thanks! Very cool. I'm a big fan of aluminum in these kind of applications, and low profile low weight is also a big bonus. I've seen some other "half shell" campers that were interesting, but most seem to have mechanisms that could end up troublesome, this seems simpler and straightforward...will look into them more, thanks again.

Oldstick

That is a good video covering the basics of the setup. The set-down is basically a reverse of that. I may be wrong about the siding. The outer skin on the sides is a type of very sturdy PVC or something similar. but underneath that is a sandwich of a foam panel with AL skin on both sides. The floor and roof sections are made of the same type of panels except sturdier. The main areas of leaking risk are around the roof vents or the PVC trim panels around the roof. If those are kept maintained periodically with roof sealant, then no worried of leaking unless something penetrates the AL skin on the roof.

Israel

BANNED
First sit of the year and Lord blessed with me a nice buck. Giving him some time to expire, Pics to come...
Hope you are done waiting...

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed at night. Not one you hope the maids changed the sheets on... and the bedbugs are all dead

Bob Shaw

IMHO, decide how you want to camp, and buy the floor-plan that suits your needs. The quality varies a lot, even within brands. What I've observed is that the trailers on the dealers lots, or the ones they take to camper shows, especially at the beginning of the model year look like they are thrown together quickly. I ordered one after the initial rush for the manufacturers to get the trailers out to the dealers at the start of the model year, and I was impressed with how much better the quality of the build was. You have to go into it realizing they take some maintenance, and leaks are a problem with virtually all of them.

pjciii

I have owned a class c rv. 2015 brand new. I did not have any problems with it or water. Upgraded alot my self. In the end let it go for 10,000 more than KBB. Think of who your target resale market. Young small family, elderly couple? I would always make time to go over it from roof to tires camping or parked.

If i were in the market right now i would jump all over this
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Lance-1130-5012248188

Looks like it is in great shape all the way around.

Patrick

Israel

BANNED
Just came for a quick revisit. Have not yet made purchase...and with all that has transpired in these intervening months, not sorry. Had planned, if able...to make a trip to Canada, and as we all know about the only way into Canada has been with a night drop HALO insertion. (A lot of those up north campgrounds/lodges have been suffering lack of US $$$)

But I have taken a lot of the info offered here and chewed it thoroughly. Joined a few groups on FB to keep up with some of the recommends (Trailmanor, Casita) and though I do find myself persuaded toward molded FG, I realize the smaller models (Casita is limited to up to 17 feet) just won't do. (3rd great grandbaby was just added a few days ago)

There's what appears to me a good/great deal on an Escape 5th wheel, but it is in Ottawa.

Hope you all have a had a good season so far...even if somewhat limited in excursions. And thank you all for the info and willingness to share the benefits of your experiences and knowledge.

Be safe and well.