Is this the Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics section

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
An excerpt from Dr. David Reagan

Peter Stoner’s Calculations Regarding Messianic Prophecy
Peter Stoner calculated the probability of just 8 Messianic prophecies being fulfilled in the life of Jesus. As you read through these prophecies, you will see that all estimates were calculated as conservatively as possible.

The Messiah will be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2).
The average population of Bethlehem from the time of Micah to the present (1958) divided by the average population of the earth during the same period = 7,150/2,000,000,000 or 2.8×105.
A messenger will prepare the way for the Messiah (Malachi 3:1).
One man in how many, the world over, has had a forerunner (in this case, John the Baptist) to prepare his way?
Estimate: 1 in 1,000 or 1×103.
The Messiah will enter Jerusalem as a king riding on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9).
One man in how many, who has entered Jerusalem as a ruler, has entered riding on a donkey?
Estimate: 1 in 100 or 1×102.
The Messiah will be betrayed by a friend and suffer wounds in His hands (Zechariah 13:6).
One man in how many, the world over, has been betrayed by a friend, resulting in wounds in his hands?
The Messiah will be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12).
Of the people who have been betrayed, one in how many has been betrayed for exactly 30 pieces of silver?
The betrayal money will be used to purchase a potter’s field (Zechariah 11:13).
One man in how many, after receiving a bribe for the betrayal of a friend, has returned the money, had it refused, and then experienced it being used to buy a potter’s field?
Estimate: 1 in 100,000 or 1×105.
The Messiah will remain silent while He is afflicted (Isaiah 53:7).
One man in how many, when he is oppressed and afflicted, though innocent, will make no defense of himself?
The Messiah will die by having His hands and feet pierced (Psalm 22:16).
One man in how many, since the time of David, has been crucified?
Estimate: 1 in 10,000 or 1×104.
Multiplying all these probabilities together produces a number (rounded off) of 1×1028. Dividing this number by an estimate of the number of people who have lived since the time of these prophecies (88 billion) produces a probability of all 8 prophecies being fulfilled accidently in the life of one person. That probability is 1in 1017 or 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. That’s one in one hundred quadrillion!

Part Two: The Accuracy of Prophecy
The second section of Stoner’s book, is entitled “Prophetic Accuracy.” This is where the book becomes absolutely fascinating. One by one, he takes major Bible prophecies concerning cities and nations and calculates the odds of their being fulfilled. The first is a prophecy in Ezekiel 26 concerning the city of Tyre. Seven prophecies are contained in this chapter which was written in 590 BC:

Nebuchadnezzar shall conquer the city (vs. 7-11).
Other nations will assist Nebuchadnezzar (v. 3).
The city will be made like a bare rock (vs. 4 & 14).
It will become a place for the spreading of fishing nets (vs. 5 & 14).
Its stones and timbers will be thrown into the sea (v. 12).
Other cities will fear greatly at the fall of Tyre (v. 16).
The old city of Tyre will never be rebuilt (v. 14).
Four years after this prophecy was given, Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to Tyre. The siege lasted 13 years. When the city finally fell in 573 BC, it was discovered that everything of value had been moved to a nearby island.

Two hundred and forty-one years later Alexander the Great arrived on the scene. Fearing that the fleet of Tyre might be used against his homeland, he decided to take the island where the city had been moved to. He accomplished this goal by building a causeway from the mainland to the island, and he did that by using all the building materials from the ruins of the old city. Neighboring cities were so frightened by Alexander’s conquest that they immediately opened their gates to him. Ever since that time, Tyre has remained in ruins and is a place where fishermen spread their nets.

Thus, every detail of the prophecy was fulfilled exactly as predicted. Stoner calculated the odds of such a prophecy being fulfilled by chance as being 1 in 75,000,000, or 1 in 7.5×107. (The exponent 7 indicates that the decimal is to be moved to the right seven places.)

Stoner proceeds to calculate the probabilities of the prophecies concerning Samaria, Gaza and Ashkelon, Jericho, Palestine, Moab and Ammon, Edom, and Babylon. He also calculates the odds of prophecies being fulfilled that predicted the closing of the Eastern Gate (Ezekiel 44:1-3), the plowing of Mount Zion (Micah 3:12), and the enlargement of Jerusalem according to a prescribed pattern (Jeremiah 31:38-40).

Combining all these prophecies, he concludes that “the probability of these 11 prophecies coming true, if written in human wisdom, is… 1 in 5.76×1059. Needless to say, this is a number beyond the realm of possibility.
And yet Jesus, a Jew, Did Not Fulfill Jewish prophesy.

Now How easy would it be 2000 years later to write fictional stories that fulfill prophecy told all those years earlier ?
There was a LOT of time between the OT and NT and a LOT of writings that told different tales.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
How can u remember prebirth yet just like the lab that fetches it come natural.
You will cease to exist and never know this world existed. I knew nothing of this world because I came apart of it with the creation of life from my parents. Once I die this world will continue as if I never excited. my question. What and how was this world created and the whole vast universe. One day this world will die as does everything we know. what happens next. I’ll never know.
What gave me this intelligence that we have acquired. that’s the big question.
My point is that I did not remember anything pre birth nor will I be able to experience memories post death.
We are products of the available chemistry set. What happens is what current conditions allow to happen.

Ray357

AWOL
And yet Jesus, a Jew, Did Not Fulfill Jewish prophesy.

Now How easy would it be 2000 years later to write fictional stories that fulfill prophecy told all those years earlier ?
There was a LOT of time between the OT and NT and a LOT of writings that told different tales.
By your standards, where is your evidence the prophecies were altered?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

Peter Stoner calculated the probability of just 8 Messianic prophecies being fulfilled in the life of Jesus. As you read through these prophecies, you will see that all estimates were calculated as conservatively as possible.

The average population of Bethlehem from the time of Micah to the present (1958) divided by the average population of the earth during the same period = 7,150/2,000,000,000 or 2.8×105.
One man in how many, the world over, has had a forerunner (in this case, John the Baptist) to prepare his way?
One man in how many, who has entered Jerusalem as a ruler, has entered riding on a donkey?
The Messiah will be betrayed by a friend and suffer wounds in His hands (Zechariah 13:6).
One man in how many, the world over, has been betrayed by a friend, resulting in wounds in his hands?
Of the people who have been betrayed, one in how many has been betrayed for exactly 30 pieces of silver?
One man in how many, after receiving a bribe for the betrayal of a friend, has returned the money, had it refused, and then experienced it being used to buy a potter’s field?
One man in how many, when he is oppressed and afflicted, though innocent, will make no defense of himself?
Multiplying all these probabilities together produces a number (rounded off) of 1×1028. Dividing this number by an estimate of the number of people who have lived since the time of these prophecies (88 billion) produces a probability of all 8 prophecies being fulfilled accidently in the life of one person. That probability is 1in 1017 or 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. That’s one in one hundred quadrillion!

The second section of Stoner’s book, is entitled “Prophetic Accuracy.” This is where the book becomes absolutely fascinating. One by one, he takes major Bible prophecies concerning cities and nations and calculates the odds of their being fulfilled. The first is a prophecy in Ezekiel 26 concerning the city of Tyre. Seven prophecies are contained in this chapter which was written in 590 BC:

Four years after this prophecy was given, Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to Tyre. The siege lasted 13 years. When the city finally fell in 573 BC, it was discovered that everything of value had been moved to a nearby island.

Two hundred and forty-one years later Alexander the Great arrived on the scene. Fearing that the fleet of Tyre might be used against his homeland, he decided to take the island where the city had been moved to. He accomplished this goal by building a causeway from the mainland to the island, and he did that by using all the building materials from the ruins of the old city. Neighboring cities were so frightened by Alexander’s conquest that they immediately opened their gates to him. Ever since that time, Tyre has remained in ruins and is a place where fishermen spread their nets.

Thus, every detail of the prophecy was fulfilled exactly as predicted. Stoner calculated the odds of such a prophecy being fulfilled by chance as being 1 in 75,000,000, or 1 in 7.5×107. (The exponent 7 indicates that the decimal is to be moved to the right seven places.)

Stoner proceeds to calculate the probabilities of the prophecies concerning Samaria, Gaza and Ashkelon, Jericho, Palestine, Moab and Ammon, Edom, and Babylon. He also calculates the odds of prophecies being fulfilled that predicted the closing of the Eastern Gate (Ezekiel 44:1-3), the plowing of Mount Zion (Micah 3:12), and the enlargement of Jerusalem according to a prescribed pattern (Jeremiah 31:38-40).

Combining all these prophecies, he concludes that “the probability of these 11 prophecies coming true, if written in human wisdom, is… 1 in 5.76×1059. Needless to say, this is a number beyond the realm of possibility.
But I believe in God. For someone who doesn’t - how’s this evidence?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

https://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My point is that I did not remember anything pre birth nor will I be able to experience memories post death.
We are products of the available chemistry set. What happens is what current conditions allow to happen.
That’s all u got. well I’m out for now. y’all carry on and be civil
Thank

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
By your standards, where is your evidence the prophecies were altered?
Prophecy wasn't altered, the writings chosen to make the NT were written to fit the OT prophecies. And they still did not fulfill Jewish Prophecy

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That’s all u got. well I’m out for now. y’all carry on and be civil
Thank
I can't tell you what I do not know. No sense for me to fake it and say "So and So did it" because I cannot understand it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Even with our intelligence and power to reason. There are so many things we will never understand.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That made me smile ?
Since the Universe formed , Right now, and up to this very second there is either What Is or What Isn't, why pretend to not only know what might be and then also pretend to know what it is?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Even with our intelligence and power to reason. There are so many things we will never understand.
Which brings me to another one of my thoughts/points:
Such a being as a God or GOD would be so complex that I could not even begin to understand it. I used to pretend that I did understand plus knew its wishes, likes and what it was thinking because that is what my family did and the people in church did before me. One day I realized that it is all above my pay grade. I am content with admitting that I do not know and I also am open to the fact if that there is a god who wants me to know it, then being a god and having the knowledge of a god would allow that deity to contact me in a way or ways that I would be sure to understand. I am open to contact. I would honestly tell everyone in here about it if it happened. But until then I am not going to use one set of various writings compiled over thousands of years by mostly anonymous authors who used influences from other cultures then tweaked to suit by 40,000 different denominations to find what version best suits me.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2012/08/probability-proves-bible-prophecy-or-not/

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Which brings me to another one of my thoughts/points:
Such a being as a God or GOD would be so complex that I could not even begin to understand it. I used to pretend that I did understand plus knew its wishes, likes and what it was thinking because that is what my family did and the people in church did before me. One day I realized that it is all above my pay grade. I am content with admitting that I do not know and I also am open to the fact if that there is a god who wants me to know it, then being a god and having the knowledge of a god would allow that deity to contact me in a way or ways that I would be sure to understand. I am open to contact. I would honestly tell everyone in here about it if it happened. But until then I am not going to use one set of various writings compiled over thousands of years by mostly anonymous authors who used influences from other cultures then tweaked to suit by 40,000 different denominations to find what version beat suits me.
Mankind is a big word. The gods created by man kind. Well there’s plenty. the history of this subject is enormous.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

WaltL1

Its not just philosophical, it’s not just an argument, either. You can’t prove something isn’t there if there’s no evidence of it being there.

Where’s Bigfoot? What I gotta do to prove he doesn’t exist?

Most A/A’s on here are open minded enough that if you can show them evidence of God, they’d follow the evidence.
Its very refreshing that you can see both sides of the coin Spot :clap:

WaltL1

Hey Ray,
About your "Moral Absolutism" -
Note this is NOT an Atheist website.
What I find interesting is it makes it perfectly clear that PEOPLE decide what is morally absolute depending on their beliefs. Its not a standalone thing that exists on its own. It all revolves around what people think and believe. There are even different "levels" of moral absolutes INCLUDING IN CHRISTIANITY.
What Is Moral Absolutism? - WorldAtlas