Is this what muzzleloading has come to?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
People and their lives are NOT the same as those of us older folks. Lazy generation? To some extent maybe but, when I started hunting as a child, I'd start out in the morning from the farm, and I might end up 5 miles or more from home. I'd cross farm after farm, maybe even hunt with one of the neighbors. l'd walk out to a road and start heading home. Someone would always stop and pick me up, make sure my firearm was unloaded and take me home. How would that work out today in the majority of the country????
Next the large properties or farms in many areas have been chopped up and sold off. 10 acres here, 20 acres there, 5 acres here, or a darn subdivision now in place. City folk moved to the country to find THEIR little piece of country and by God its THEIRS! Don't you dare cross that property line. You do not have permission to retrieve game if its on my property and a whole list of other "do not disturb me" lines.
Some hunters hunting over large agricultural fields must shoot long range. Others have to kill an animal DRT because of "that" neighbor.

EVERYONE has to set back and think about how others may hunt and not be so selfish. That gets no one anywhere and only divides the numbers. You boys that have hunted in the mountains all your lives, have no clue what its like to hunt over a 200 or 400 acre agricultural field/s. Try your Davy Crocket sneaking on a buck that came out of a corner 300yds away over a picked bean field. The does will instantly spot you and they'll all be gone.
Likewise, the guys that have hunted open fields all their lives, know nothing about the guys hunting mountains and certainly anyone that hunts in the swamps.

If you have a problem with Billy Bob hunting with a modern inline rifle, you have the problem not Billy Bob. That your way or the highway stuff is nothing but selfishness.

That`s how I was raised, down here in the Southern river swamps. My uncle owned an island in the Oconee River between Wheeler and Montgomery Counties, couple of hundred acres of virgin timber. He wouldn`t post it. Said that when he died he wanted friends and locals to come to his funeral. The big river swamp that surrounded our place was hunted by everybody. When the paper company that finally bought it offered our families first option to lease it, my older cousin leased it and he wouldn`t post it either, for the same reason. He paid for the lease and never said a word to family, friends, or strangers about hunting it. In his words, 'Everybody deserves a place to hunt".

The hunting world was a better place because of men like them. I`m lucky enough to know a few farmers and plantation owners who are much like them.

ddd-shooter

People and their lives are NOT the same as those of us older folks. Lazy generation? To some extent maybe but, when I started hunting as a child, I'd start out in the morning from the farm, and I might end up 5 miles or more from home. I'd cross farm after farm, maybe even hunt with one of the neighbors. l'd walk out to a road and start heading home. Someone would always stop and pick me up, make sure my firearm was unloaded and take me home. How would that work out today in the majority of the country????
Next the large properties or farms in many areas have been chopped up and sold off. 10 acres here, 20 acres there, 5 acres here, or a darn subdivision now in place. City folk moved to the country to find THEIR little piece of country and by God its THEIRS! Don't you dare cross that property line. You do not have permission to retrieve game if its on my property and a whole list of other "do not disturb me" lines.
Some hunters hunting over large agricultural fields must shoot long range. Others have to kill an animal DRT because of "that" neighbor.

EVERYONE has to set back and think about how others may hunt and not be so selfish. That gets no one anywhere and only divides the numbers. You boys that have hunted in the mountains all your lives, have no clue what its like to hunt over a 200 or 400 acre agricultural field/s. Try your Davy Crocket sneaking on a buck that came out of a corner 300yds away over a picked bean field. The does will instantly spot you and they'll all be gone.
Likewise, the guys that have hunted open fields all their lives, know nothing about the guys hunting mountains and certainly anyone that hunts in the swamps.

If you have a problem with Billy Bob hunting with a modern inline rifle, you have the problem not Billy Bob. That your way or the highway stuff is nothing but selfishness.
I agree with the land problem. Its huge, and I hate the attitude nowadays.

I don't have a problem with Billy Bob shooting anything, really. I can see his side of the fence really well.
But maybe he does actually have a problem he doesn't know about. I would ask him and others to look across the fence as well. It's not always a benefit to do things the easier way, and no amount of burying our heads in the sand will avoid it.
Maybe he'd find more enjoyment doing stuff the hard way. Thats all I'm saying, in a real rant kind of fashion. Lol

lampern

Then why continue to have special seasons?

Let me hunt with what I want as long as its not a safety hazard

Everyone can support that, right?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Then why continue to have special seasons?

Let me hunt with what I want as long as its not a safety hazard

Everyone can support that, right?
If you changed ML season to rifle season here in the mountains, there would be no deer to hunt in a few years. I don't see that anything needs changed. I like it just like it is. You don't like to hunt with a muzzleloader? Then don't. And quit griping at and trying to steal the joy of those who do. Maybe we should just legalize deer snares, then everybody could just go check them every day.

lampern

If you changed ML season to rifle season here in the mountains, there would be no deer to hunt in a few years. I don't see that anything needs changed. I like it just like it is. You don't like to hunt with a muzzleloader? Then don't. And quit griping at and trying to steal the joy of those who do. Maybe we should just legalize deer snares, then everybody could just go check them every day.

How so? Most NC counties only have a few days to kill does. One week or one day.

Interestingly you go up on the national forest in NC there is just one day to shoot does with a muzzleloader.

Adding buck only days doesn't change much.

Georgia has one week for muzzleloader and air guns. Adding it to any legal weapons season there would change nothing since the biologists can adjust either-sex days

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How so? Most NC counties only have a few days to kill does. One week or one day.

Adding buck only days doesn't change much.

Georgia has one week for muzzleloader and air guns. Adding it to gun season there would change nothing.

You can still use muzzleloaders during the regular gun season.

LTFDretired

First of all I’m not bashing anyone for the method they use to hunt. Also I’m not trying to start an argument about what’s the best way to do things.

Maybe it’s just an age thing. When I was in my teens during the 70s , muzzleloading gained a big resurgence in popularity. Of course many of us back then considered Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett our heroes. Thompson Center and CVA were very popular as they produced guns that were replicas of original muzzleloaders from the 18-19th century.
Yes, many of us got into muzzleloading just to lengthen our hunting time but many enjoyed learning to load, shoot, build and clean these guns to add a challenge to the hunt.

Along came the inline rifle. Now you no longer need to worry as much about moisture as you did with a flintlock or percussion rifle. Plus you can now add a scope, SS barrel, Load with modern bullets, powder and components. Now it no longer even resembles a muzzleloader.

It’s seems each year companies come up with more ways to make primitive weapons less primitive and less challenging.
I also think money is the driving factor for these companies. They’ve now made it where newcomers to the sport only know about inlines and have no idea about using flintlock or percussion guns. A real shame.

I don’t think TC and CVA even build muzzleloaders anymore.

This started bothering me when I met a fellow at a gun store buying an inline rifle. His friend told him that “real muzzleloaders “ only fire 50% of the time. I politely informed him that his friend was mistaken and didn’t know the proper way to clean and load a muzzleloading rifle.
I’m sorry for the rant. Again , I don’t care what others shoot but I hate to see what this has become.
In my opinion if you’re gonna use the gadget advertised here in this pic you may as well use a 30-06 or .270

Rant over. Thanks for reading my long post.
View attachment 1100902
No need to complain. The antis love it when we divide amongst ourselves. Any legal method is fine imho