It’s Really Late But... **1 Year Update**

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wow! What a plot David. You definitely got the green thumb. I've never seen a brand new plot do that good!

Ihunt

When Mother Nature is kind we look like we know what we are doing as in this case LOL Great looking plot!!

davidhelmly

Well the new plot did much better than expected with the help of Mother Nature this summer and has fed a lot of deer. My intentions were to wait until they finished off the sorghum before replanting in clover/wheat/brassica but I deceived to go ahead and replant it this past weekend before the soil temps got any lower. I've never planted this late but really want to get some clover going in there before the spring so hopefully it explode when it warms up.
I wasn’t sure how the planter would do planting into this tall and thick plot but I think it did fine, I’ll know for sure in a couple of weeks if I get good germination.
The first pic is back in early October and the second one is the before and after as I was planting, you can see where I had already planted the middle and was working my way out, I hope we get the predicted rain this week. ?10B86721-FDAA-4C9B-AD9E-C12CABB46A6B.jpeg742D172C-C956-4113-AE59-1847360F6332.jpeg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Look at that!! Very nice!!!!!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Wheat will be fine ..... clover should germinate, but it's growth will come on next spring. Brassica's may be a question mark, although I think they will germinate, they just might not mature this fall.

Your soil temps are around 50, but there is a cool snap moving in, along with the rain. But you will get a crop! :)

PH rates.JPG

davidhelmly

Wheat will be fine ..... clover should germinate, but it's growth will come on next spring. Brassica's may be a question mark, although I think they will germinate, they just might not mature this fall.

Your soil temps are around 50, but there is a cool snap moving in, along with the rain. But you will get a crop! :)

View attachment 1051847
My thoughts are about the same, I don’t expect anything from the brassica but it’s in the mix with the red and white clover so if I get a little top growth I’ll be happy. The clover is a mix of medium red and a new white named aberlasting, I hope they do explode next spring.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

wtruax

So just your seeder pushed it down? Or do you have a roller crimper?

davidhelmly

My fall planting was so late last year that I was worried it would do well, I planted red and white clover, wheat and brassica. I was on the property yesterday and was amazed at how good the clover looks, of course the wheat and brassica are long gone but the clover looks much better than expected and is feeding lots of critters, clover is king!!

CCBF06B2-E086-4B04-9775-5E171812A5E3.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My fall planting was so late last year that I was worried it would do well, I planted red and white clover, wheat and brassica. I was on the property yesterday and was amazed at how good the clover looks, of course the wheat and brassica are long gone but the clover looks much better than expected and is feeding lots of critters, clover is king!!

View attachment 1086415
Looks great , also looks like parts of your planter was pouring the seeds out , made some nice looking rows of clover that should spread on its on

Ihunt

Lol, those rows are where I drove through the plot earlier and it pushed down the dried up wheat, it's pretty solid clover.

David,
I’m still looking at different planters. I know you bought yours as a time saver but seeing how good the clover did in your wheel tracks, have you thought about running a cultipacker over it again after planting?

davidhelmly

David,
I’m still looking at different planters. I know you bought yours as a time saver but seeing how good the clover did in your wheel tracks, have you thought about running a cultipacker over it again after planting?
It has a cultipacker attached to the back of it.

Ihunt

It has a cultipacker attached to the back of it.

Yes sir it does but it looks like the clover did much better in the tire tracks where it really got packed. That’s why I asked if you had any thoughts about cultipacking it again when you plant clover.

Or just drive around in the plot with your truck for miles and miles?