It ain't just lumber folks...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
OSB at $46.45 this morning at Lowes.

12/2 should be above $600/1,000' roll this week(it hit $640 at the supply house last week, the big boxes usually lag by a week).

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We gonna be killing each other in the streets for a crust of bread in a year

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
$560 here. Come get you some!

It's $560 at the big boxes(they don't have any 1,000' rolls). The supply houses change price(up or down) about a week before the big box stores.

treemanjohn

Banned
Heck, next time you are at the grocery store look around. Lots of container sizes going down with the price the same or higher as the old bigger size. Inflation is here.
This is what fools a ton of people. They always say prices of food items aren't raising, because the packaging looks the same, but the volume is cut

snooker1

I went to purchase 10 foot 2X4 the other day and about had a stroke when I seen the price. Stupid me, I have been hoarding ammo and toilet paper and completely missed out on lumber.

Last edited:

gopray12

Good article. I would disregard the quote from the beginning about lumber futures at $1500. That is the front month May quote which is pretty much done. If you look at the back months going in to 2022 lumber is significantly lower and more in the normal range that they discussed. It's coming back down it will just take time for prices to change on the shelf.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
February 2020 pricing: 2x6x10' #2 $6.01($6.43 with tax).

Today: 2x6x10' #2 $19.95($21.35 with tax).

232% increase.

It's gonna cost me $192. for material to frame a knee wall for my kitchen island bar top.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I ordered a framing package this morning for a 24'x34' garage. $19,988.
I asked if that comes with a tube of grease and a hug?

You should get a RA with all that.

Reactions: Dub

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Cross posting from the hunting forum:

last week said:
7/16 4x8 OSB has dropped from $48 down to $43 this week. Bulk price is $38.75. This is at Home Depot.

Now $37.45. Bulk price is $33.71.

Lowes 2x6x10' is $14.55. Peaked at $20 a few weeks ago.

Bad news: Lumber futures have gone up 8%. I read that they are blaming the forest fire out west and mills(like Canfor) scaling back production to keep prices up.

A lot of SPF comes from Canada but a lot(most?) OSB products are made in Georgia and the SE.

As I am ready to paint the interior of my new house(just bought 50 gallons of primer) I see there is a paint shortage.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I was doing some repairs to the back deck this last weekend and 2X4X8 treated was $4.49 each. 2X4X8 pine studs are down to just under $7 dollars. I never in a thousand years thought that I would see treated lumber cheaper than untreated.

Whatever is happening may save me a few hundred dollars getting the back deck done now. Guessing that people just stopped working around the house with the high prices.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I was doing some repairs to the back deck this last weekend and 2X4X8 treated was $4.49 each. 2X4X8 pine studs are down to just under $7 dollars. I never in a thousand years thought that I would see treated lumber cheaper than untreated.

Whatever is happening may save me a few hundred dollars getting the back deck done now. Guessing that people just stopped working around the house with the high prices.

Thanks for the heads-up. Have a stair set and mini deck I need to build for the wife's new she shed.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Thanks for the heads-up. Have a stair set and mini deck I need to build for the wife's new she shed.
I haven't priced the decking boards yet because I am scared to look but hoping there is a similar trend. I have been wanting to tear the deck down to the bones and replace everything for six months but just stayed away from it due to cost.

I can't imagine having built a house this last six months and it now worth 40% less. On the other hand, my home prices have skyrocketed leaving me sleepless thinking about selling and renting for a spell.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
7/16"x4x8 OSB is down to $37.45($33.71 when buying 69 sheets or more.

When(if) she hits $20 per sheet I'll pull the trigger on the shop framing package.