It is illegal to use electronic calls for fox, bobcats and coons in GA

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
27-3-12. Unlawful substances and equipment; computer assisted remote hunting prohibited

(a) It shall be unlawful to hunt any wild animal, game animal, or game bird by means of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, recorded calls or sounds, or recorded and electronically imitated or amplified sounds or calls. It shall also be unlawful to use electronic communications equipment for the purpose of facilitating pursuit of any wild animal, game bird, or game animal.
(b) (1) As used in this subsection, the term "computer assisted remote hunting" means the use of a computer or other device, equipment, hardware, or software to control remotely the aiming and discharge of a firearm or other weapon so as to allow a person not holding that firearm or other weapon to hunt or shoot a wild animal or any wildlife.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, partnership, or association to engage in computer assisted remote hunting or provide or operate a facility that allows others to engage in computer assisted remote hunting if the wild animal or wildlife being hunted or shot is located in this state.

(3) (A) Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000.00 and not more than $5,000.00, imprisonment for a term not to exceed 12 months, or both such fine and imprisonment.

(B) Any equipment used or intended for use in a violation of this Code section, excluding motor vehicles, is declared to be contraband and shall be forfeited to the state.

(C) The hunting and fishing privileges of any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be suspended for three years.

and for those wondering what a game animal or game bird is

(34) "Game animals" means the following animals: bear, bobcat, deer, fox, opossum, rabbit, raccoon, sea turtles and their eggs, squirrel, cougar (Felis concolor), and all members of the families Alligatoridae and Crocodylidae.

(35) "Game birds" means the following birds: turkey, quail, grouse, and all migratory game birds.

and wild animal

(75) "Wild animal" means any animal which is not wildlife and is not normally a domestic species in this state. This term specifically includes any hybrid or cross between any combination of a wild animal, wildlife, and a domestic animal. Offspring from all subsequent generations of such crosses or hybrids are wild animals.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
can this be stickied for a while? maybe till the end of february?

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good thread. Got it stuck for you, T.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
One time I used an electronic call for sea turtle eggs...didn't have any luck though. I won't do it any more I promise. And what the heck is a blind pig?

a live animal used as bait. As has been mentioned here many times also. :flag:

T

Roberson

So why the heck do they sell electronic calls? what are they for, then? You mean you can't even use them for yotes?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
So why the heck do they sell electronic calls? what are they for, then? You mean you can't even use them for yotes?

you CAN use them for coyotes, but coyotes only

they are legal to use for fox and bobcat, coon, deer and turkey in some states, just not in GA.

T

childers

I do believe it is illegal, but want to make sure. It is illegal to shoot a fox or bobcat that came into an electronic call when you are targeting coyote.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I do believe it is illegal, but want to make sure. It is illegal to shoot a fox or bobcat that came into an electronic call when you are targeting coyote.

yes.

T

Its kinda of a stupid law if you ask me,a predator is a predator. Its not like its that easy to kill any of them anyhow. Its also like the stupid law about shooting hogs with a rim fire or muzzle loader and only during the day. The people that make the laws are the same ones who wear their socks over their shoes and do not understand the un-intended consequences of their laws.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Its also like the stupid law about shooting hogs with a rim fire or muzzle loader and only during the day.

that's not a law that's a regulation and it only applies on WMA's during small game hunts. You can only hunt small game with small game weapons and only during daylight hours, therefore during small game seasons on a WMA you can hunt hogs during the same time, but not when it's illegal to hunt small game. They could just ban hog hunting all the way aroud during small game season since it isn't legally small game to begin with, but instead they choose to allow more people on the wma to hunt.

sounds like a good idea to me.

T

Last edited:

Randy

They don't consider fox and bobcat as predators. They consider them fur bearers.

jkk6028

thanks for the post T, i had just assumed it was legal :crazy:

guess i better read the regs a little bit closer

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
thanks for the post T, i had just assumed it was legal :crazy:

guess i better read the regs a little bit closer

its actually illegal to use them for hunting a lot more things, but I just put those three in the header because this is the varmint forum and that's all that really apply.

T

Do all the Regulations apply to private land or just to WMA's?
If allowed to trap Fox and Bobcat using bait why not allow Hunters to use Electronic calls . Just does not seem to be any logical reason for the Regulations written the way they are. I'm sure Coyotes are not the only Predator that feeds on small Game. :crazy:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Do all the Regulations apply to private land or just to WMA's?
If allowed to trap Fox and Bobcat using bait why not allow Hunters to use Electronic calls . Just does not seem to be any logical reason for the Regulations written the way they are. I'm sure Coyotes are not the only Predator that feeds on small Game. :crazy:

the only reason coyotes are allowed is they aren't a game animal or wild animal.

T