Jack Crevalle

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
View attachment 1070242Try them on an 8wt fly rod for an hour and a half of brute force fun. I was going to break the thing off but the guide said he needed it for a family grill out that evening. A buddy of mine cooked some JC a year ago, it was darn good!
I chase them with my fly rods. If I see the busting, I will quit whatever other fishing I am doing, to include hunting tarpon, to chase them....the only fish I won't stop fishing for for busting Jacks is bonefish and permit. I always have a 10wt in my skiff with a loud popper tied on so I can switch rods fast when they show up. I see you are in a panga in your photo, was that Mexico or Belize? Biting at the bit to get down to Belize this year now that travel is allowed again.

Last edited:

Uptonongood

I chase them with my fly rods. If I see the busting, I will quit whatever other fishing I am doing, to include hunting tarpon, to chase them....the only fish I won't stop fishing for for busting Jacks is bonefish and permit. I always have a 10wt in my skiff with a loud popper tied on so I can switch rods fast when they show up. I see you are in a panga in your photo, was that Mexico or Belize? Biting at the bit to get down to Belize this year now that travel is allowed again.

I was in Belize, my third trip there. Tons of bones, not the biggest fish but great fun. Saw a number of permit, had three shots at them, hooked up and landed one about 12 pounds. we couldn’t get to the big tarpon area so the guide got me into some mangrove lagoons were I finished my grand slam With a small tarpon. Haven’t been there in ten years so can’t give you recent info. I think it’s the safest, easiest place to go for the slam. We stayed at El Pescador so my wife had some activities. Other lodges that are strictly catering to fishing my be better options for permit and tarpon. Again, bonefish are a slam dunk if you can cast 50’.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I was in Belize, my third trip there. Tons of bones, not the biggest fish but great fun. Saw a number of permit, had three shots at them, hooked up and landed one about 12 pounds. we couldn’t get to the big tarpon area so the guide got me into some mangrove lagoons were I finished my grand slam With a small tarpon. Haven’t been there in ten years so can’t give you recent info. I think it’s the safest, easiest place to go for the slam. We stayed at El Pescador so my wife had some activities. Other lodges that are strictly catering to fishing my be better options for permit and tarpon. Again, bonefish are a slam dunk if you can cast 50’.
Where are you going now for your fishing adventures since you haven't been to Belize lately? I had a great shot at the slam last July in Islamorada, some huge permit, could not get them to take, we found schoolie bonefish all over in the Everglades, which really shocked me, I always went out front for them, and large baby tarpon were everywhere...had I gotten a permit would have made the super slam, snook were all over the mangrove islands.

Uptonongood

Haven’t picked up my long rod in a few years for a number of reasons, mostly physical. Had some surgeries, now I’m planning Scotland and Belize. Been a tough few years, I’m raring to go.