Jack in the Box

Hillbilly stalker

For a pup anyways.:rofl:I took little “Smoke Jensen“ around to feeder buckets this morning. He snuck up on a bucket and run his nose up in it.....almost. Old squirrel shot out and ran right across his nose, he couldn’t help himself. He chased it about 10 yards up a hickory tree. Like most cur pups starting out, the squirrel goes up and the nose goes down. He circled around a little bit and then claimed the tree. Lotta wining and a few squeals, it it’s in there I can tell. He’s a special kinda pup, his dad is a full blooded German Short Hair that climbs a 4 foot fence and gets trees at least twice a day EVERY day, for hours. He wouldn’t leave the tree till I put a lead on him. He’s hard headed but real smart. I haven’t fooled with bird dogs before, that must be where he gets it. Summer fun !

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice looking young pup. I believe he’ll make you a good one.

Twinkie .308

Here’s his daddy. Big old stud of a GSP dog. Purty ! On watch for squirrels all day everyday.View attachment 1033195

Boy I teared up watching your video and seeing this picture. My GSP died last year. He whined just like the pup in your video when he treed a squirrel. Smartest dog I've ever had. He'd tree a squirrel, point a quail, track a deer, swim and retrieve. I sure do miss him. It's been so long I'm starting to consider another dog. My pitt is on his last leg now too. You think them feists can track a deer? All I really do is squirrel and deer hunt anymore and I think I want a smaller dog this go round

Hillbilly stalker

The old time Feist were more versatile in my opinion. They kept varmits out of the yard, hunted rabbits and birds and often retrieved = AKA meat dogs. The updated version are bred to be a lot more tree minded and squirrel only. I know of only one person who still breeds the old way. But I have never Hunted with him or his dogs. A strong retrieve drive is a huge plus when training a tracking dog.....man or critter. I’m not saying it can’t be done with a Feist, but it wouldn’t be my first choice if that was my goal.

If that was what I was shooting for, I would try a treeing cur similar to this pup, he is 1/2 Mt. Cur and 1/2 GSP. Logically he should have a good nose, good winding ability, strong retrieve drive and smart. The Cur in him should make him tree minded and have a strong desire to please. But you never know what your going to get, there is often a trade off. It can be done no doubt, but it would require some specialized training. They might pick it right up or you might have to work at it a bit. But it is totally do-able. And I don’t have anything against a Feist....that’s my #1 dog here. If you decide to do it, shoot me a PM and I might have a few tricks to help you out if you like.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
For a pup anyways.:rofl:I took little “Smoke Jensen“ around to feeder buckets this morning. He snuck up on a bucket and run his nose up in it.....almost. Old squirrel shot out and ran right across his nose, he couldn’t help himself. He chased it about 10 yards up a hickory tree. Like most cur pups starting out, the squirrel goes up and the nose goes down. He circled around a little bit and then claimed the tree. Lotta wining and a few squeals, it it’s in there I can tell. He’s a special kinda pup, his dad is a full blooded German Short Hair that climbs a 4 foot fence and gets trees at least twice a day EVERY day, for hours. He wouldn’t leave the tree till I put a lead on him. He’s hard headed but real smart. I haven’t fooled with bird dogs before, that must be where he gets it. Summer fun !

Oh that gets the blood stirring!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
HS you gonna cost me money finding a treeing fiest before it over with.

Hillbilly stalker

Boy I teared up watching your video and seeing this picture. My GSP died last year. He whined just like the pup in your video when he treed a squirrel. Smartest dog I've ever had. He'd tree a squirrel, point a quail, track a deer, swim and retrieve. I sure do miss him. It's been so long I'm starting to consider another dog. My pitt is on his last leg now too. You think them feists can track a deer? All I really do is squirrel and deer hunt anymore and I think I want a smaller dog this go round
Here’s his dad treeing GSP...

Twinkie .308

The old time Feist were more versatile in my opinion. They kept varmits out of the yard, hunted rabbits and birds and often retrieved = AKA meat dogs. The updated version are bred to be a lot more tree minded and squirrel only. I know of only one person who still breeds the old way. But I have never Hunted with him or his dogs. A strong retrieve drive is a huge plus when training a tracking dog.....man or critter. I’m not saying it can’t be done with a Feist, but it wouldn’t be my first choice if that was my goal.

If that was what I was shooting for, I would try a treeing cur similar to this pup, he is 1/2 Mt. Cur and 1/2 GSP. Logically he should have a good nose, good winding ability, strong retrieve drive and smart. The Cur in him should make him tree minded and have a strong desire to please. But you never know what your going to get, there is often a trade off. It can be done no doubt, but it would require some specialized training. They might pick it right up or you might have to work at it a bit. But it is totally do-able. And I don’t have anything against a Feist....that’s my #1 dog here. If you decide to do it, shoot me a PM and I might have a few tricks to help you out if you like.
I appreciate that very much and might take you up on it one day. That GSP cur dog seems like a good mix. I'd like to have one of them puppies or maybe if you crossed your pup with a feist one day. I bet that would be a good mix too

Hillbilly stalker

One step closer.....he’s right on the edge of pulling the trigger. This is his 2nd trip to the big woods...no more feeders. He went 176 yards a couple days ago. I’m liking the way he stays busy and getting squirrely.

Hillbilly stalker

Still making progress, 137 yards in the big woods. After I knock a couple out on him, I believe he will sit down on one. We gotta work on that tree jacking
tho :bounce: