Jackson Lake Crappie 11-6-22

KrappieKrane

Last second trip that turned out to be a perfect day! Found fish on isolated structure in 15-30 fow and with the weather front approaching, they were aggressive. Mixed bag of fish from crappie, spots, stripers and catfish that put 42 in the boat to be released for another day! There must be a million 1/2 lb crappie in this lake and we caught a lot of them. Lol
I did add to the total with the biggest crappie for 2022 that tied my personal best at 2lb and was released to grow some more hopefully. I’m starting to figure this lake out some and can’t wait till the next trip.
Time to get on the water and chase the thump. Fill the Freezer Tour 2022 continues!

B737226F-505E-4F60-A20A-7F8B084AD94D.jpeg

KrappieKrane

Nice catch, a 2 pounder is a big fish in Jackson
Thank you sir, much appreciated. It was a blessing to catch and capture a pic. I hope it makes someone else as happy if it’s caught again.

klerchkatcher

Years ago Jackson Lake crappie fishing was good for size and numbers, comparable to Oconee. But after a flood in 1994, 13 inches of rain the crappie in Jackson have been small. Of course there are still some quality crappie in Jackson but not the numbers there use to be. Also the spotted bass and stripers have done a number on the shad population.

Fullnet2

Have had very successful trips shooting docks on Jackson but I'm getting old and Lanier is close. Bobby Garland Cajun cricket worked well for me on Jackson. As you know, that changes from day to day or from hour to hour sometimes.
Good luck fishing

KrappieKrane

Years ago Jackson Lake crappie fishing was good for size and numbers, comparable to Oconee. But after a flood in 1994, 13 inches of rain the crappie in Jackson have been small. Of course there are still some quality crappie in Jackson but not the numbers there use to be. Also the spotted bass and stripers have done a number on the shad population.
I read it changed water nutrient quality when the reclaimed water was transferred out of the watershed by Fulton County. People said it was one of the best lakes in Ga many decades again.
Id help the Shad population if I could pattern the stripes on Jackson. Just haven’t figured them out yet. Plus the boat traffic doesn’t help in the bays when you’re rocking n rolling.

klerchkatcher

I read it changed water nutrient quality when the reclaimed water was transferred out of the watershed by Fulton County. People said it was one of the best lakes in Ga many decades again.
Id help the Shad population if I could pattern the stripes on Jackson. Just haven’t figured them out yet. Plus the boat traffic doesn’t help in the bays when you’re rocking n rolling.
Yes and back then phosphates were removed out of laundry detergent, another source of nutrients. West Point lake use to be like pea soup. Clearer water now the crappie relate to structure more in Jackson. Use to catch most crappie long line trolling on Jackson.

Mistrfish

When I lived in Conyers i fished Jackson and really had no reason to go elsewhere.
My personal best is a touch over 3 lbs back in the 90s and many close to that.
Mr Berry of Berrys boat ramp has a photo of crappie over 4lbs on a strigner I believe from the 30s and 40s.

After the floods of 93 and I believe 2013 it was never the same. It may also have something to do with Flathead catfish said a biologists I met out there shocking.

KrappieKrane

Congrats on a great trip and one heck of a crappie !
Thanks Brother! I’ll be back on WP soon. With the rain and cold fronts, I’ll let the fish stabilize and then hit them. Plus, chasing horns during the rut has something to do with it also. Tell your Pops hello.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks Brother! I’ll be back on WP soon. With the rain and cold fronts, I’ll let the fish stabilize and then hit them. Plus, chasing horns during the rut has something to do with it also. Tell your Pops hello.
Must of been several bass tournaments on West Point today . My goodness at the bass boats I seen this morning before daylight