January gobbling !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I know it’s not unusual for turkeys to gobble some all year . But this morning something was going on , maybe moon or something else . Another guy I know was deer hunting on the other side of state and had same experience . Also on LFTT on forum several deer hunters were hearing them . I heard so much gobbling this morning for about a solid hour I lost all interest in a deer . The hens were pretty frisky also .

jaydawg

I know it’s not unusual for turkeys to gobble some all year . But this morning something was going on , maybe moon or something else . Another guy I know was deer hunting on the other side of state and had same experience . Also on LFTT on forum several deer hunters were hearing them . I heard so much gobbling this morning for about a solid hour I lost all interest in a deer . The hens were pretty frisky also .
Ten fo…they were having a party this morning on the Coweta/Heard line

They were fired up yesterday morning on our farm in Norwood, GA. I heard 4-5 different birds gobbling until 9:00 and hens going crazy.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Heard no gobbling this morning. East central Georgia

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Heard them this morning around 930 then seen a couple hens fly up in some pines and then flew from pine top to pine top until they where out of site. I thought that was pretty neat.

BASS1FUN

I’ve heard them like that before in January and I in a medium tone voice ( while sitting in my tree stand) said I’m going to kill both of you if you’re in there during turkey season, killed one opening day and the other April 6

herb mcclure

The best turkey hunter I ever knew from the past and way before Spring gobbler hunting begun, told me how gobblers would be gobbling when the mountain tops would be iced and snowed over. Back then the only places there were any turkeys was in those remote high mountains.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Middle of December they were hollering and doing their thing while I was deer hunting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111-101811.png
    Screenshot_20230111-101811.png
    477.4 KB · Views: 24

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I heard 2 birds gobblin i beleive on Jan 7 at daybreak.
I heard raspy hen couple hundred yards behind me start that bossy yelp that gets louder n louder and crankyer as she goes.
In that split second I thought to mahself......"if it were spring he'd crank out right after her last note" AND BAM!! Sho nuff a gobbler cut one loose right after her!!! I LOVED IT!!!!
They did it a few mer times an that was it, 2 different gobblers in the same spot answerin her ah beleive

Swamprat

Swamprat
Opening morning of GA rifle heard 3 separate birds in a half mile stretch of river bottom gobble for 15 or so minutes.

One would gobble and the other two would follow suit.

Hens were also pretty vocal as well.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve heard no gobbling in the spots around the house on public land. If the number of vehicles I see while I’m out listening is an indication of hunting pressure for this upcoming season then there will not be enough birds to go around.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I’ve heard no gobbling in the spots around the house on public land. If the number of vehicles I see while I’m out listening is an indication of hunting pressure for this upcoming season then there will not be enough birds to go around.
ahhhh man maybe after this rain tommorow!
If not, maybe next year

Swamprat

Swamprat
Is the black one fluted on the other side?

Yep , only took one season ! If and when the population really rebounds the Turkey doc and biologist will be geniuses !

This past deer season we had two separate flocks of 12 birds and the other had 15. Mostly hens and a mix of jakes with them.

Still did not see that wad of dominant gobblers we were promised with a two week delay on the opener.

For the most part our birds are pretty much done by the 3rd week of April, especially if it gets warm quick.

Wish the DNR not only in GA but other states would stop listening to one man’s theory and set the traditional dates back but the rabbit hole has been opened and ol Turkey Doc is hiding in it.

buckpasser

I’ve heard some gobbling through deer season most of my life, but this season was insane. A good example, the morning my daughter shot her buck there was a Tom just out of sight that started before good light and straight up burnt it down until fly down time. Like gobbled every ten seconds or so. It was a great but super weird soundtrack to grunt up and kill a big buck to.