Jarrett Rifles

RJY66

Check these out....

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/signature.html

In our discussion of shooting at extreme ranges, I believe it was Mr. Piper that mentioned Jarrett Rifles. Something to the effect that you could buy one of these and attend one of his schools if you really wanted to become a top long range shooter.....and could afford it. I have seen them mentioned in various magazines.

This rifle cost nearly $7000 base price. It is guaranteed to shoot at 1/2 moa. That is great, but my question is what makes this gun worth over 10 times the price of a standard factory bolt gun. Do not some of you have regular rifles that shoot very well....1moa or under? Can a gunsmith not re-barrel a rifle with a match grade bore and tune the trigger for a lot less than 7gs?

Evidently, there is a demand for these rifles as Kenny Jarrett has been making them for 25 years. I really don't get it. I have only shot factory guns...either mine or a friend's. Can you buy marksmanship?

Buzz

There is certainly a point of diminishing returns that comes with high end equipment in any sport. Personally - I'd rather take a pre64 style Winchester action and have it rebarreled with something like a Kreiger barrel and have the action blueprinted, slicked up, trigger worked, some kind of cerrakote \ ceramic finish added, install iron sights, top off with Talley Bases and QD rings, and have it bedded into a nice McMillian stock. This would still be about 1/3 of the cost of a Jarrett rifle and IMO it would be fit my requirements better than a Jarrett rifle.

That being said I have two rifles that are basically factory rifles with a trigger job and a stock bedding job that will shoot better 1/2 MOA. One is a Savage Tactical the other a Remington 700 VS. Mind you I have owned quite a few guns and these two are the ones that will average better than 1/2 MOA for many groupings. Just shooting a 1/2 MOA group occasionally does not make a 1/2 MOA rifle. Most of my bolt guns have averaged MOA with handloads and it is not too hard for a good shooter to get between MOA and 1.25 MOA with loads most any bolt action rifle likes. 1/2 MOA is nice but it is not necessary for big game hunting, period.

The answer to "Can you buy marksmanship" is a profound "no." Just like a poster brought up recently you can buy the same clothes that Tiger Woods wears and you can buy the same clubs he uses, but that does not make you Tiger Woods the golfer. Tiger could use WalMart clubs and beat most golfers with the best equipment they can get.

Last edited:

raghorn

Lot of possible answers for that one. Some people would pay thousands of dollars for a fraction of an inch of accuracy when the odds are that under field conditions most would not notice the difference.Could be pride of ownership (Elitists),or just an appreciation of craftsmanship. Kinda like a Chevy and a Ferrari , I'm happy with my Chevy , but others may not be .Who knows? :huh: :huh:

huntfish

7X57 hit the nail. Accuracy is practice and experience. Also like your new Avatar. Has your wife seen it yet? ::ke: :banana:

CPiper

Iv seen fellas arrive at Mr Jarretts that could not hit the broad side a barn at 10 paces and after going through his shooting academy nail 500+ yard shots!!
One of the links I provided in that long distance thread depicts the writer making several 600 yard shots you could cover with a $0.25 piece - he had never shot at them desrances before - and it was all due to the rifle and him following KJ's instructions.
You may not be able to buy marksmanship, but you can buy a rifle that is heads and shoulders above the basic Rem 700 and you can buy directions and be instructed on how to become a better shot!
And Mr Jarrett KNOWS what he is talking about, both in building rifles and marksmanship - him and his rifles hold or have held many a shooting W.R.

Good Day!

Larry Rooks

Though it does take a certain quality of rifle to consistantly make these extreme long range shots, it does not take s 7000.00 rifle to do it. Most facotry rifle are not ready yet, until they are tweeked a little, proper bedding,
trigger work or custom trigger and the p[roper load/bullet combination worked up for them. Then top it with the right rings/mounts and scope. You can take a 1000.00 rfile and ruin it just by installing the 59.95 scope. If you can't see it, you can't hit it. The rest is up to YOU. I have several rifle that are capable, a Win 70 Coyote in 270 WSM, a Rem 700 in 7MM SAUM, both in McMillan fiberglass stocks, and a Win mod 70 in 7MM WSM, all three capable and do real nice. The Win 70 in 7MM WSM needs a better stock, right now in the factory composite which is not top quality and in need of the right bedding once I swap it over to a McMillan. Time at the loading bench and range will determine the rest and the best

Now, Kenny JArrett does produce some of the most accurate rifles in the world, always has had a reputation of doing this and from what he puts into a rifle, and the gaurantee, you can't get much better. And, tallent and quality does cost in any form. Race cars, custom engines, anything tweeked to max performance does have its cost, and Kenny is one of the best

Last edited:

Buzz

CPiper said:
Iv seen fellas arrive at Mr Jarretts that could not hit the broad side a barn at 10 paces and after going through his shooting academy nail 500+ yard shots!!
One of the links I provided in that long distance thread depicts the writer making several 600 yard shots you could cover with a $0.25 piece - he had never shot at them desrances before - and it was all due to the rifle and him following KJ's instructions.
You may not be able to buy marksmanship, but you can buy a rifle that is heads and shoulders above the basic Rem 700 and you can buy directions and be instructed on how to become a better shot!

There is a difference between doing this on several shots (anyone can be lucky - especially for a product promo) and being able to do it at will. A simple 5 mph cross wind that pops up between shots at 600 yards will cause the group to open up dramatically.

Here are some of the current world records for NBRSA that were set last year.
1. Light Gun Score Aggregate, 205 (8X) (3.0275"), 7/31/04
2. Heavy Gun Group Aggregate, 2.373", 11/21/04
3. Two-Gun (LG/HG) Combined Score, 390 (7X), 11/21/04
4. Two-Gun (LG/HG) Combined Group, 2.5548", 11/21/04

These groups were fired by Joel Kendrick. His rifle was built by Jim Borden using a TPE action, Rimrock stock, Kelbly bases and rings, Leupold 40X Comp scope, Jewell trigger. Tooley-smithed 27" Krieger 4-groove, 8.5-twist, HV contour. Added weight in butt of stock to give better balance; weight 13.5 lbs.

If you are trying to tell me that a person who has never shot at long range before is shooting 600 yard groups slightly less than one inch and less than one half the size of the current NBRSA BR record, I have a really hard time believing that.

H

HT2

A question????

I am "NOT BEING CRITICAL" of these rifles........

O.K.????

But what in the world could make them worth that kind of money?????? I know they are custom made, but I just don't see that kind of money in them????

Enlighten me..........

CPiper

I stand corrected - musta confused some other article - the 3 shot spread was 3.5" - from a .300Jarrett and a man who "I’ve hunted all my life but I’ve never been much of a long-range shooter. To me, anything over 350 yards is a long, long way away. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of animals I’ve taken at 400 yards or so"

Here is the article again

For the avg day in and day out sport hunting, this kind of accuracy is not needed - then again - if ALL of us could shoot like KJ, WOW!!
Im not a gun maker nor do I claim to know all there is about guns and ballastics and gun makin, but no matter how you slice it, KJ and his guns are GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

OutDoor Life's Review of the .300 Jarrett

Last edited:

Randy

HT2 said:
I am "NOT BEING CRITICAL" of these rifles........

O.K.????

But what in the world could make them worth that kind of money?????? I know they are custom made, but I just don't see that kind of money in them????

Enlighten me..........
It's like owning an expensive car. Most cars will get you from A to B with no problem. We buy expensive cars because we can.

We buy expensive guns because we can. Yes there is a performance advantage but just like most of us can not drive a Vett to it top performance neither can most of us sue a rifle to it top performance. I bought my VTEC because I could. Yes it is the smoothest bow I have ever shot but most of my bows would kill all teh deer I am capable of getting close enough to.

Larry Rooks

What makes a Jerrett Rfile valuable?? QUALITY and PERFORMANCE. Just like Randy said, different prices, different performance levels. You can buy a Rem 700 across the counter at 500.00 or so, but that Rem 700 coming thru Remingtons Custom Shop ain't 500.00 anymore, but more expensive. Why,
the custom work that is required to get the most out of performance. And from a man that knows how to get the absolute best out of the rifle when building, it ain't gonna be cheap. Then you take the acorss the counter Rem 700 to the right Gunsmith and let him/her give it the touches required, then you have one that will perform with the Custom Shop rifle, but you have added that extra cost to get it. There must be something to Kenny's rifle, as there is one heck of a waiting list to get one. Of course, the cost includes the load development and ammo too :clap:

gobblinglawyer

I have a Jarrett rifle in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved. I received it as a Law School Graduation gift from my Father. I certainly would not sell it for any price.

It will shoot sub MOA groups all day every day. My personal best three shot group is .243 inches. I think they may have even bested that group at Kenny's range while developing the load for the rifle.

The Jarrett has made all of my other deer rifles obsolete. I have not shot any of my four other deer rifles since 2001.

My question is whether or not any of you on here that seem to be so vocal about how I might choose to spend my money have ever seen, held or personally fired a Jarrett rifle?

Randy

gobblinglawyer said:
My question is whether or not any of you on here that seem to be so vocal about how I might choose to spend my money have ever seen, held or personally fired a Jarrett rifle?

Nope but only because I can't! I would if I could afford to.

GeauxLSU

They are worth it. If they have a long waiting list they are worth more apparently.
Things are worth what people are willing to pay. Are they 'worth it' as a HUNTING rifle? Well, they are not going to kill a deer anymore dead. A $250,000 Ferrari isn't going to get me one inch closer to work than my Chevy and is probably not going to get me close to my hunting camp. But there's a waiting list for them to, so I guess they are also worth it.
If it flips your switch and you've go the coin, go for it.
I will admit though, I'd love to shoot my bone stock Weatherby Vanguard that has shot 1/4" groups against one of those or my competition benchrest rifles that cost substantially less (though admitedly not something I'd want to lug in the woods).
If people are buying them because they are snobs, well then I like messing with 'em. Course maybe they've already been messed with by Mr. Jarrett. It's wrong, I know... :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

CPiper

IF IF IF IF only I had been born rich instead of so good lookin Id buy 2; one in the .280 and the other in the .300!!!
:banana:

FootLongDawg

gobblinglawyer said:
I have a Jarrett rifle in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved. I received it as a Law School Graduation gift from my Father. I certainly would not sell it for any price.

It will shoot sub MOA groups all day every day. My personal best three shot group is .243 inches. I think they may have even bested that group at Kenny's range while developing the load for the rifle.

The Jarrett has made all of my other deer rifles obsolete. I have not shot any of my four other deer rifles since 2001.

Hey GL..Did you go all out and top it off with a nice Tasco scope??? :cheers:

CPiper

CPiper said:
I stand corrected - musta confused some other article - the 3 shot spread was 3.5" - from a .300Jarrett and a man who "I’ve hunted all my life but I’ve never been much of a long-range shooter. To me, anything over 350 yards is a long, long way away. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of animals I’ve taken at 400 yards or so"
Think about it - a man who has never shot past 400 yards and done that only a couple of times takes one of these rifles and follows some voice commands and does a 3 shot group of 3.5inches - that is a testiment to the rifle and KJ!

ryanwhit

gobblinglawyer said:

Yes, and I don't blame you. In fact, my next rifle WILL be a custom one...or close to it...maybe not a Jarrett, but a custom (although that Kimber rifle looks sweet, and it's really reasonably priced...I love the way my Kimber pistol shoots!).

Shot a .300 Jarrett in Africa. It was very nice. But, I'm no rifle conosuer(sp), so I couldn't tell the difference between it and a Speedy in .300 Jarrett, or another gun in .300 rem ultra mag from a south GA shop (forgot the name).

They all shot very well.

CPiper

Got me to thinking ..... with that kind of accuracy, you QDMers could shoot the horns off at the brow tines on them 2.5 year old and less bucks thus making them undesireable to some hunters.

:smash: :hammers: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Buzz

I do not think anybody on this thread is vocal about how YOU choose to spend your money. Hey - if you want to pay $150k Euro for a Holland and Holland double rifle, more power to you - but I don't want to. It is not a matter of money for me, I could write a check for a couple of Jarrett rifles right now, but they are not what floats my boat. As I said before I would rather spend my money on upgrading the components on a Pre64 style Winchester. Why - well, I prefer the Mauser style actions to the push feed actions. Every time I get ready to spend the money, I try to come up with cases where my nearly factory spec Winchester, Remington, Ruger, and Savage guns have failed me in the field from not being accurate enough or failing to feed, etc. However, I cannot come up with a single failure and I end up thinking of something different to spend a couple of grand on. I do not think anybody could deny that a Jarrett rifle is a jewel of a rifle, but that does not mean that everyone wants a Jarrett rifle even if the means to acquire the rifle is there. Everyone has their preferences, and I have never understood the draw to spending many thousands of dollars just with the primary goal of getting tiny little groups out of a big game rifle. I certainly realize other people see it differently. However, it is a certain reality that a rifle capable of firing three shot groups of 1.25" at 100 yards is accurate enough for hunting any deer sized game past 300 yards. It would also be accurate enough for larger game even further. Certainly, spending a couple of hundred dollars slicking up the rifle’s action and assuring it is 100% reliable in feeding is a very good investment. Spending a couple of hundred bucks getting the stock cut to your specs and having a quality recoil pad installed is another wise investment.

I have been able to hold a Jarrett rifle at my gun club - and I have held and shot several competition Bench Rest guns based off Neiska Bay, Stolle, Shilen, and Farley actions. 0.243” for three shots is a very good group for a hunting rifle. However, I have to ask what does it average over the course of ten groups for of three shots each? I currently have three bolt action rifles that have all shot individual groups of less than 0.25” at 100 yards, but I would be telling a fib if I said they could always do this. As I mentioned in an earlier post two of them have aggregate averages slightly better than 1/2 MOA (for five shots) and I sure did not spend $7k for them. Determining what something is worth is very subjective. For those that purchased a rifle like the one GL did and they are 100% pleased with it and it gives them utter confidence, then yeah it is worth it – regardless of what they paid for it. However, for someone like myself that has been able to collect several near factory spec rifles that display good target accuracy and have never been let down in the field, they would not be.

Last edited: