Jarrett Rifles

Buzz

CPiper said:
Think about it - a man who has never shot past 400 yards and done that only a couple of times takes one of these rifles and follows some voice commands and does a 3 shot group of 3.5inches - that is a testiment to the rifle and KJ!

The question though CPiper is what size was his next group? I do not mean to sound like the constant doubter, but one three shot group can easily be dismissed as luck - I have shot plenty of lucky three shot groups that are far tighter than my rifles average. To get a true measure of the shooter and the rifle - you need the aggregate accuracy of the shooter and the rifle over many more groupings to get the level of true accuracy. IMO - that is where many of the stories come from we hear on the internet (yet do not see at the range) about 1/4 MOA shooting bone stock factory guns. Just because it was done once does not mean it can be done again.

RJY66

I don't care how anyone spends their money. I am happy that GL's Dad got him the rifle and am equally happy that Mr. Jarrett has been able to build a great business around his love of shooting.

If possible, I would come a lot closer to buying a Jarrett rifle than I would a Ferrari, because I like guns better than I do vehicles :shoot:

GeauxLSU

RJY66 said:
I don't care how anyone spends their money. I am happy that GL's Dad got him the rifle and am equally happy that Mr. Jarrett has been able to build a great business around his love of shooting.

If possible, I would come a lot closer to buying a Jarrett rifle than I would a Ferrari, because I like guns better than I do vehicles :shoot:
How 'bout a Ferrari with a hood mounted Jarrett? ;)
Lest it be misunderstood, my comment was not directed at ANYONE on this board. It was a general comment directed at snobs, which as we know, high priced items often draw like flies.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

H

HT2

Randy............

Randy said:
It's like owning an expensive car. Most cars will get you from A to B with no problem. We buy expensive cars because we can.

We buy expensive guns because we can. Yes there is a performance advantage but just like most of us can not drive a Vett to it top performance neither can most of us sue a rifle to it top performance. I bought my VTEC because I could. Yes it is the smoothest bow I have ever shot but most of my bows would kill all teh deer I am capable of getting close enough to.
Make sense........

I guess if'n you can afford one, it's the kind of gun that you never would hunt with..........Or at least I wouldn't......... :p

Randy

GeauxLSU said:
It was a general comment directed at snobs, which as we know, high priced items often draw like flies.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Wait just a minute, I resemble that remark.

GeauxLSU

Randy said:
Wait just a minute, I resemble that remark.
Then quit doing that! :p
I'll try one mroe time, I like some nice things to. Some of them happen to be expenisve. But I don't like them BECAUSE they are expensive. Ah, heck, you know what I'm saying... ::ke:
Besides all that, I'm too po to be a snob. Though I do know some po snobs. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Randy

GeauxLSU said:
Though I do know some po snobs. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

OK now you are starting to get offensive. I reseamble that remark also!!!!

GeauxLSU

Randy said:
OK now you are starting to get offensive. I reseamble that remark also!!!!
Randy,
If you're a snob, you're not a very good one. Snobs would have at least have a hair piece. Your brother in exposed scalp....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

E

edge

Boy, it sure doesn't take much to get folks riled up. People wear their feelings on their sleeves....I agree with 7x57...well stated. My best friend and hunting partner hunted on Jarrett's place for two years back in the late 90's. He got to tour his shop and spend some time with him. Other than usual personality quirks, nothing unusual about him. I've been reading and hearing about him for years in gun circles.
I have also, while in my past job as a firearms instructor with the state, met alot of people who thought they knew a bunch about rifles. I met one guy who said he had a Jarrett rifle and carried around a laminated target in his wallet that his rifle had shot, presumably by Jarrett. He was sure enough proud.
In my tinkering a bit with hunting rifles, I've produced some nice groups, and I've accurized a bunch of hunting weight rifles that would do it often and consistently. Some groups in the teens. Averages in the half in. mark. This is with floated barrels, bedded actions, tuned triggers, lapped rings, good scopes, custom handloads, etc. In other words, plain old time proven methods for producing accuracy. ($250-$500 worth of work) Some customers wanted match grade Shilen or Pac-Nor barrels, and while easier to work up loads with, these did not produce the absolute best accuracy. What did?
Two accurized Sako .243's, a Savage Heavy Barrel FP10 in .260, and a Winchester Mod. 70 in .270, which is my go-to rifle for long range. They all had custom work, factory barrels,and proper handloads, and including the rifle and accurizing, cost under $1500 each. Oh yeah, and they all have Leupold scopes on them. (what else is there?)

So, in response to whether a Jarrett rifle is worth it...or does it take $7000 to get long range accuracy? Yes, it is worth it, and no, it does not.
On my website, I even used to tell customers that if they wanted the best and money was no object, call Kenny Jarrett. If they wanted a hunting rifle that could do everything that needed to be done, call me. I no longer do this except for friends and an occasional referral, but it ain't that hard to do. It just takes time. Personally, I'd rather spend that $7000 on something else I don't need :bounce: , but if somebody wants to have the best at all costs, go for it.

er

Last edited:

raghorn

GeauxLSU said:
Randy,
If you're a snob, you're not a very good one. Snobs would have at least have a hair piece. Your brother in exposed scalp....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Got room in that club for one more hair folicle challenged guy? I think thats the pollitically correct way to say slickhead. :cheers: ::ke:

Randy

raghorn said:
hair folicle challenged guy?

I don't know about you guys but the challenge for me is keeping the ladies from rubbing it. If I had known I would have gotten this much attention from the girls I would have shaved my head at 16!

GeauxLSU

Room for all!

raghorn said:
Got room in that club for one more hair folicle challenged guy? I think thats the pollitically correct way to say slickhead. :cheers: ::ke:
It's a club growing by the day. I actually have some 'velvet' left but will be a true slick head soon enough. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

bull0ne

Banned
Before i dropped the coins it takes to put a Jarrett in the safe i would rather have a builder put a rifle together with my choice of stock,barrel and trigger and the other bells and whistles that go along with it.

That would be my idea of a custom rifle.

Jarrett makes a fine rifle and theres nothing wrong with expensive toys.I would love to own a Jarrett but not before i get my own custom rifle built.