Jeep questions

willbuck

What is the differences between a Wrangler, Sahara, and Rio Grande?

Also, if you were to buy a soft top and wanted to convert it into a hard top, what would the cost be and how much trouble would it be.

sf

B Young

I have never heard of a Rio Grande. I do know a Sahara is nicer than a regular Wrangler. I suggest if you are going to get a new one make it a Rubicon. They are nice. They come stock with full off-road package

willbuck

yeah, the rubicon is nice but

Can't afford a new one without selling my truck and that is not going to happen. I am too dependant on my truck to get rid of it. Just trying to find a mid 90's, preferably a hard top, 6cyl to use going back and forth to work. Don't want one that has had a lift/ oversized tires/wheels - just an original. The thing that is confusing is the different models - wrangler/sahara and so on. Don't really know what the difference is.

BULLDOG FAN

The Sahara is a limited edition of the Wrangler. Basically the same but the Sahara is featured in the movie Sahara. Can't help you on the Rio Grande, that's a new one on me.

willbuck

Would like to have an early model CJ7, but to find one that is original is going to be hard and expensive. Might as well get a mid 90's, with parts that are pretty accessible.

How expensive is it to convert a soft top to a hard top? Looking on the net the ceapest I could find (aftermarket) was around $1300 not including the half doors.

willbuck

finding a soft top will not be that bad, but trying to find a hard top will be a chore and from I have found pretty expensive.

Phillip Thurmond

Jeeps come in 4 Cly and 6 cly. The 4 cly only comes in jeep se model. The 6 comes in either Sahara or Sport in the 90's models. In 2002 they came out with Sahara, Sport and Jeep X. In 2003 they came out with the Rubicon. All of these are different versions of the same jeep just like F150 xl, xlt, lariat! in Ford trucks. Difference include things like black fenders or painted fenders that match the color of the paint. As far as price differences for the 90's models the Sahara is about 1,000 more expensive than the Sport. In later years the Jeep x is the cheapest with the Sport next then the Sahara then the top of the line is the Rubicon. When pricing them you add about 800 buck for a hard top to the base price. Jeeps are fun but don't think they are cheap. Expect to pay top dollar for them. Hope this helps
Phillip