Jekyll Island Mid November

GTMODawg

BANNED
My wife and I are getting away from the kids for a long weekend in mid November and will be camping at Jekyll Island. Any suggestions for fishing would be greatly appreciated. Surf fishing....I ain't taking the duck blind off the boat and I am too cheap to hire a guide.

My plan is to fish the beach just to the east of the fishing pier on the north end of the island. I am planning to fish cut bait (hopefiully fresh caught croakers and whiting) and target reds but I am concerned it may be pretty late by mid November. I was told the trout bite may be on that late. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also curious if the fishing center (I think thats what they call it) at the pier has good bait? If not if there is a good bait shop somewhere that would be appreciated also.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Bait store at the pier is hit and miss, and expensive if they have anything good.

Just buy you a bag of small frozen food shrimp at Kroger or Wally, and use it to catch some whiting to cut up fresh.

This solves your bait problem ahead of time, now you don't care if there is any bait available.

They don't call the North end "driftwood beach" for nothing. Lots of snags and live bottom at the North end, and the tidal current runs strong both ways.

A better surf fishing bet is the South end, parking at the soccer complex and using the boardwalk.

There will still be big Redfish around, whiting, croakers, etc.

And you'll have the beach pretty much to yourself.

Fall fishing is great, I skipped hunting for several years because of it.

Enjoy!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Bait store at the pier is hit and miss, and expensive if they have anything good.

Just buy you a bag of small frozen food shrimp at Kroger or Wally, and use it to catch some whiting to cut up fresh.

This solves your bait problem ahead of time, now you don't care if there is any bait available.

They don't call the North end "driftwood beach" for nothing. Lots of snags and live bottom at the North end, and the tidal current runs strong both ways.

A better surf fishing bet is the South end, parking at the soccer complex and using the boardwalk.

Enjoy!

Thank you! I’ll check out the soccer complex area. I’m looking forward to this trip!

GTMODawg

BANNED

Enjoy!

One follow up….what size croakers / whiting? Eating size or small enough to flat line or fish live on bottom? I’m happy either way LOL….but seems like a 6 inch croaker live would be irresistible to a red.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
One follow up….what size croakers / whiting? Eating size or small enough to flat line or fish live on bottom? I’m happy either way LOL….but seems like a 6 inch croaker live would be irresistible to a red.

If you want to target big Redfish, my favorite bait is the head of an eating size whiting, with the mouth still moving...

12" whiting makes about five baits...

6" whiting, front and back halves...

Also, whiting are cannibals. Filet a small one, and use small skin-on strips. Sometimes that works better than the shrimp.

As far as trying to fish a small, live whiting or croaker goes, it ain't worth the trouble.

Keep this in mind also. Don't be the guy using a whole shrimp on a 3/0 hook and then wondering why you ain't catching any bait.

Small hooks, and small bites of fresh peeled shrimp. A 30-40 count shrimp is 3-4 whiting baits (bites)....

GTMODawg

BANNED
If you want to target big Redfish, my favorite bait is the head of an eating size whiting, with the mouth still moving...

12" whiting makes about five baits...

6" whiting, front and back halves...

Also, whiting are cannibals. Filet a small one, and use small skin-on strips. Sometimes that works better than the shrimp.

As far as trying to fish a small, live whiting or croaker goes, it ain't worth the trouble.

Keep this in mind also. Don't be the guy using a whole shrimp on a 3/0 hook and then wondering why you ain't catching any bait.

Small hooks, and small bites of fresh peeled shrimp. A 30-40 count shrimp is 3-4 whiting baits (bites)....

Thanks again. The whiting head bait sounds like the best of both worlds….fish AND cut bait! My problem is if I start catching whiting I’ll keep catching ‘em! For their size they’re a blast…and about as good eating as anything that swims. Thanks for the info!