Jekyll/St Simons Oil Spill??

They are close to removing all the fuel from the ship itself, then they will begin carving up the ship to remove the cargo. This is going to go on for quite some time; it wont be a quick solution to the problem. I'm sure they are taking every precaution they can, but given the nature of the disaster there really is no quick solution.

Rhodes

Just curios and maybe someone can explain to me but I would think gasoline would eventually evaporate since it would be on the surface and not mix with water correct? So would diesel do the same? I mean this ain't a crude oil tanker. I seen pics of what looks like sludge on the water and in the marsh grass but where would sludge be coming from if we are talking about gasoline and diesel?

These ships burn some pretty crude fuel (residual or bunker oil), you have to heat it up to pump it. I would imagine they are experiencing some spillage as they are pumping the fuel from the ship; and I doubt they will be able to get every last drop of it. Some motor oil may be leaking from the cargo as well. This is going to be a fustercluck for quite a while.
The heavier fuels that remain after all other usable fuel types have been drawn off are the residual fuels and are highly viscous. The fuels are used only in low and medium speed engines but require heating in order to reduce their viscosity allowing them to be pumped along the fuel system and injected into the combustion chamber. Such fuels have a higher energy content by volume but can also retain many more of the pollutants from the crude oil. Residuals are produced from the thick sludge left over at the bottom of the refinery’s fractionating column and are only a step or two removed from bitumen, the stuff used to pave roads: the most widespread types of residual bunker available have densities ranging from 500 to 700cSt at room temperature.
Sludge would be a good description of it.

Any updates guys,

Were supposed to leave in a couple of days. The tides look good. The weather looks good. Im hearing good things about catching reds.

Im not excited about the bottom of my boat coated with a film of oil that want come off.

We seined the north beach by the pier last Wednesday without any problems or oil on us or our gear. The tidal flow appears to be keeping most of the problem toward the north on St. Simon's side of the inlet. They are most likely about done with pumping the bunker fuel out of the ship. What remains will most likely be leaking from the vehicles. Doesn't appear to be effecting either the shrimping or the fishing.

I bank fished a creek by my house yesterday. Oil was on the water, mud, and in the grass. A large amount of spartina has died there over the last three to four weeks. I caught a flounder, but didn't feel safe eating it.

Where are you located Ladder Man? Would be nice to know where not to go fishing...
We pulled our net for mullet for red fishing Wednesday on the north beach of Jekyll Island by the pier. We did not encounter any oil at all. I have no doubt that there are areas where the oil is present; but I have yet to actually see it myself on Jekyll.
Not saying it isn't there somewhere, just that we haven't actually seen it or found it on our clothing, net, or the beach.
Updates on the Golden Ray situation can be found at: https://ssiresponse.com/

Al White

I'm thinking about heading out again - any reports on the bite there? I'm guessing the deeper creek bends with this cold weather.

Thread starter #32
From what I have seen the lasting impact will be on the marshlands. High tides pushed the oil up into the grass and it has stayed there once it attached to the grass.