Jekyll/St Simons Oil Spill??

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Any updates guys,

Were supposed to leave in a couple of days. The tides look good. The weather looks good. Im hearing good things about catching reds.

Im not excited about the bottom of my boat coated with a film of oil that want come off.

WalkinDead

Banned
We seined the north beach by the pier last Wednesday without any problems or oil on us or our gear. The tidal flow appears to be keeping most of the problem toward the north on St. Simon's side of the inlet. They are most likely about done with pumping the bunker fuel out of the ship. What remains will most likely be leaking from the vehicles. Doesn't appear to be effecting either the shrimping or the fishing.

I bank fished a creek by my house yesterday. Oil was on the water, mud, and in the grass. A large amount of spartina has died there over the last three to four weeks. I caught a flounder, but didn't feel safe eating it.

WalkinDead

Banned
Where are you located Ladder Man? Would be nice to know where not to go fishing...
We pulled our net for mullet for red fishing Wednesday on the north beach of Jekyll Island by the pier. We did not encounter any oil at all. I have no doubt that there are areas where the oil is present; but I have yet to actually see it myself on Jekyll.
Not saying it isn't there somewhere, just that we haven't actually seen it or found it on our clothing, net, or the beach.
Updates on the Golden Ray situation can be found at: https://ssiresponse.com/

Al White

I'm thinking about heading out again - any reports on the bite there? I'm guessing the deeper creek bends with this cold weather.

mdgreco191

From what I have seen the lasting impact will be on the marshlands. High tides pushed the oil up into the grass and it has stayed there once it attached to the grass.

Al White

Hows the bite inshore around the islands?

WalkinDead

Banned
Better late than never, I guess. One would think this should have been done immediately. Wonder if they intend to empty the area of sea water in order to make the disassembly of the ship easier?

fuelman1

They are not building a coffer dam. The barrier is a giant net with oil booms around the perimeter. It's meant to catch debris that comes loose as they are cutting it into sections. The original response contractor is suing to stop them. They claim there is a high likelihood of environmental contamination and that cutting it into large pieces is a very high risk plan. I'm skeptical of the plan they are using. They chose the plan that would get rid of the ship the quickest versus the safest. A coffer dam would have assured containment of contaminates. The net will hold solid matter like cars and such but there is still thousands of gallons of bunker fuel onboard. If something happens it could be a huge mess. I'm hoping for the best.