Jesus 101- Church Attendance is Not a Priority

LittleDrummerBoy

Madman

Interesting. I believe it is a logical fallacy to tie followers of Jesus Christ meeting together with a personal relationship to God.

If there is no need to meet together then why did Christ build his church?

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Did you watch the video?
There is NO assertion that brothers and sisters need not meet together - only that it need not be in a traditional western church on Sunday mornings.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Hebrews 10:25

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

1 Corinthians 12:12

For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.

Madman

Did you watch the video?
There is NO assertion that brothers and sisters need not meet together - only that it need not be in a traditional western church on Sunday mornings.
I did. I watched the entire video. The purpose of the Church is for the teaching and edification of the saints and the distribution of the sacraments.

Everyone invokes the “western church” but they forget the church is massive and encompasses the world. The vast majority of the Church understands the need to meet an worship, only a very small sect disagree.

You and I will never agree, I just attempt to layout the traditional and founding operation of the Church.

LittleDrummerBoy

I did. I watched the entire video. The purpose of the Church is for the teaching and edification of the saints and the distribution of the sacraments.

You and I will never agree, I just attempt to layout the traditional and founding operation of the Church.

Can you name 5 traditional churches in Hall County that did not close their doors for months in 2020? Is it the proper tradition of the church to close when deemed "non-essential" by the government? If distribution of the sacraments was so important, why did so many churches close their doors in 2020?

My boat was open, and the church met there for prayer, fellowship, edification, and teaching. My dinner table was also open for all of the above and communion as well. Since traditionally ordained elders were not offering to anoint with oil and pray, the Lord told me I could, and I did.

What do people of faith do when the traditional church fails them? We keep doing what the Bible says, regardless of tradition.

Reactions: Kev

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Can you name 5 traditional churches in Hall County that did not close their doors for months in 2020? Is it the proper tradition of the church to close when deemed "non-essential" by the government? If distribution of the sacraments was so important, why did so many churches close their doors in 2020?

My boat was open, and the church met there for prayer, fellowship, edification, and teaching. My dinner table was also open for all of the above and communion as well. Since traditionally ordained elders were not offering to anoint with oil and pray, the Lord told me I could, and I did.

What do people of faith do when the traditional church fails them? We keep doing what the Bible says, regardless of tradition.

If I understand your video / comments; the Sunday meeting at a specific building isn`t relevant as long as you`re assembling yourselves together with like minded believers? I can agree here.

Traditionally, it is easier at a building or a house, basically anywhere you can have some decency and order / structure. It is not an assertion to meet. The requirement is to forsake not the assembling of yourselves together. I am not following you telling people it is ok to find themselves in the duck blind on Sunday morning and "forsake themselves from assembling together".

Further - He gives us Pastors to feed us with knowledge and understanding, he does that at the meetings and as needed with those that need more throughout the week..............that Pastor can only sit in one duck blind at a time.

Madman

Ignorance, fear, the exact same reason those churches in Hall County closed. These times are the exceptions not the rule. My church didn't close. It sounds like your church closed if you met on your boat.

And I applaud that, no church should ever close it's doors. Sounds like the ordained in your group were scared too. Once again you are talking about the exception not the rule.

What do people of faith do when the traditional church fails them?

The "traditional" church has historically ran toward those in need due to sickness, famine, or disaster, but let's not confuse the failings of man with the church. Our congregation met on regular schedule, which is 4 days a week and there are 2 services one of those days.

We had people who were afraid to attend church for fear of catching the covid, our priests, communicated them outside, or went to their homes.

The only reason "traditional" church fails the body is because the body allows it to fail.

Insofar as doing what the Bible says and not tradition we may want to look into that a little deeper as the Holy Scriptures speak of tradition and keeping it, but all of that is for another time.

LDB, I enjoy your posts and have said so on several occasions, but when I think the mark may have been missed or I have been taught differently I like to share it.

You and I may never agree on many "church" things, but I have no problem with that.

It only breaks my heart that many miss the fullness of the faith.

We keep doing what the Bible says, regardless of tradition.

You need to be careful "doing what the Bible says" when it gets outside of what the church has taught and how those Scriptures' have been interpreted for over 2000 years. Peter warns against it.

2 Peter 3:16

16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

So far as the laity administering the sacraments, that is another topic.

God's peace.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I find this thread interesting after the conversations we all had regarding Church closures and cancellations last year.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I find this thread interesting after the conversations we all had regarding Church closures and cancellations last year.
Why? It still puts emphasis on the unimportance of what seems as “tradition” (meeting at a building) and the importance of coming together as one in a meeting by joining together at a specific time for live streaming.

We learned “we are the church, the building isn’t”. We never canceled church; we still met as one body, just not inside the brick building.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We never canceled either. Met outside for weeks, then slowly transitioned back into the Sanctuary.
We still have folks sit in the parking lot & listen to our service on the radio.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Why? It still puts emphasis on the unimportance of what seems as “tradition” (meeting at a building) and the importance of coming together as one in a meeting by joining together at a specific time for live streaming.

We learned “we are the church, the building isn’t”. We never canceled church; we still met as one body, just not inside the brick building.
Go and look back at the responses of the thread about church cancellations last year. It sounds as if some have changed their position.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never really felt spiritual in a building full of people in my whole life. I have felt spiritual many times out in the woods or on a mountaintop or wading in a mountain stream by myself.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Go and look back at the responses of the thread about church cancellations last year. It sounds as if some have changed their position.
I’m sure many did. I know I did. Lesson learned for me, though. But I now see your point in your post.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I’m sure many did. I know I did. Lesson learned for me, though. But I now see your point in your post.
I was called just about everything but a child of God last year because I said it was ok if you laid off from attending church for a little while back when we didn't know as much about Covid.

Madman

It is difficult to receive the sacraments without a priest.

Madman

It is quite easy to pontificate, some 2000 years later, outside of the ancient teachings, with an inspired collection of writings, which have been canonized in something called the book.

And we point to that book and proclaim, “if it is not in the book it is not so”, all the while forsaking what is in that very book, those things that inform us for our edification.

Christ built a Church, it is very difficult to find where he also states, “I will have a book compiled in the next 300-400 years, until that day just rattle around on your own”.

No it is evident from Holy Scripture and Holy tradition that Christ started a Church, he put men in charge that the faith could be passed down until his return.

See what Paul says about tradition, see what Peter says about reading Paul’s writings and twisting them.

Much care need be taken, these things are about life.