Jesus has lifted our burdens?

Artfuldodger

Think about all those various peoples in the Old Testament. The main burden was captivity. They had a lot of burdens, a heavy load, and severe tasks. It all did point to salvation from eternal death but to them back then, don't you think they thought part of their salvation would be salvation from the daily burdens of their slavery?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I never said he did. I'm just asking what burdens or burden has Jesus lifted?

So it looks like the answer is the burden of wondering every single day if we have Eternal life. We know we do. That is definitely a great burden lifted.
In terms of a gift it is the greatest. Blessed assurance. I get that.

So Christ in no way helps with our everyday burdens such as watching an elder parent get sicker and older and going blind?
Wrong. I lost my dad a year and a half ago to cancer and the Lord made much more bearable than I would have anticipated. It’s not like it was fun or that I didn’t mind. But knowing where he was going and that I will see him again was and is quite a comfort. Same as my day in and day out problems. I know that I don’t face them alone and that is a major boost. Try this, get up a little earlier than you normally do tomorrow morning and start the day off with prayer and reading the word. Plenty of good resources for that right here or you can google a morning devotional. See if it doesn’t make a difference in your day.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
And Christ, in no way, helps us daily, by the indwelling of his Spirit help us be obedient to the Father. That burden is on us. No relief, no help.
No help relieving the burdens of pain? No help lifting that load? Wondering if our drunk or high loved one will make home tonight? Wondering when our elderly mom will fall and break her hip. Wonder when our family member will need their other hip replaced?

Christ never promised us any help other than reliving the burden of thinking about our own death and where we will spend eternity?
Seems like you just want to argue, man. It seems like what you want is for Jesus to eliminate all of your problems and struggles.

Artfuldodger

Seems like you just want to argue, man. It seems like what you want is for Jesus to eliminate all of your problems and struggles.
That is not what I want at all. I'm not mad with God no do I want him to do away with my trials, tribulations, or burdens? I'm not sure why you even think that? I welcome my burdens as they make my faith stronger.

I'm very, very thankful for God's gift of salvation and that is the greatest burden lifted. Like I said, I get that.

I'm just asking if He helps with my other burdens. Just a simple question. If he doesn't then I'm OK with dealing with them myself as a man. God doesn't promise me a Rose Garden.

My life is easy, I can't imagine being taken or born into captivity. I can't even imagine having to chop fire wood to cook every meal or chop cotton. I'm very thankful for my many, many blessings.

I never meant this to be such a negative post. My other burdens are "dung" compared to the burden of wondering if I've lived good enough every day to buy my own salvation.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
That is not what I want at all. I'm not mad with God no do I want him to do away with my trials, tribulations, or burdens? I'm not sure why you even think that? I welcome my burdens as they make my faith stronger.

I'm very, very thankful for God's gift of salvation and that is the greatest burden lifted. Like I said, I get that.

I'm just asking if He helps with my other burdens. Just a simple question. If he doesn't then I'm OK with dealing with them myself as a man. God doesn't promise me a Rose Garden.

My life is easy, I can't imagine being taken or born into captivity. I can't even imagine having to chop fire wood to cook every meal or chop cotton. I'm very thankful for my many, many blessings.

I never meant this to be such a negative post. My other burdens are "dung" compared to the burden of wondering if I've lived good enough every day to buy my own salvation.
I guess because it seems like you won’t accept any answer.

Artfuldodger

I guess because it seems like you won’t accept any answer.

Because you first come with an answer that I was wrong to even wonder if God helped with other burdens. That I was wrong to even think he did because salvation was enough. Now you are saying he does help relieve other burdens. Yet you said earlier just suck it up that he doesn't.
The responses from others as well. Like He gave you eternal life, now you want him to help you with life's daily burdens? I'm just getting mixed signals from everyone.

Either He helps or He doesn't. If he doesn't then I'm thankful for my greatest burden to be lifted. I'm thankful for my salvation. If I get nothing else from God, so be it.
I'm just asking if there is more, not that I expect it or want it.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Because you first come with an answer that I was wrong to even wonder if God helped with other burdens. That I was wrong to even think he did because salvation was enough. Now you are saying he does help relieve other burdens. Yet you said earlier just suck it up that he doesn't.
The responses from others as well. Like He gave you eternal life, now you want him to help you with life's daily burdens? I'm just getting mixed signals from everyone.

Either He helps or He doesn't. If he doesn't then I'm thankful for my greatest burden to be lifted. I'm thankful for my salvation. If I get nothing else from God, so be it.
I'm just asking if there is more, not that I expect it or want it.
You’re overthinking it.

welderguy

He's touched with the feeling of your infirmities. He dandles you on His knees. His ear is attentive to your cry. As a hen gathers her chicks, He shelters you beneath the shadow of His wings. His love is everlasting. He saves you to the uttermost.

LittleDrummerBoy

In what ways has Jesus lifted our burdens? Has he made our load lighter? What does that mean in everyday terms? And in relation to our yoke? Lifted? Removed?

We are required to be obedient to God. How has Jesus made that easier by his death? Besides covering the penalty of not being able to be obedient.

I like to get back to what the Scripture actually says. I hang out with lots of charismatics who often drift into the "name it and claim it" errors of thinking Jesus promises health and wealth. I also hang out with lots of messianics who often err by imposing the requirements of the Mosaic covenant but also some of its promises that no longer apply in the New Covenant.

Perhaps the Scripture you have in mind is:

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Note that Jesus is saying that his yoke is easy and his burden is light. This is different from a promise that Jesus removes and carries every and any burden. Remember that Paul wrote "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied. " (1 Corinthians 15:19) New Testament promises are more for the next life than than for this one. Jesus said, "In this world you will have tribulation" and Scripture also says, "Everyone who wants to live a righteous life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." So Jesus does not lift every burden.

But I like the question, "What burdens does Jesus lighten for the believer?"

1. Jesus removes the guilt of past sins. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

2. Jesus removes bondage to ongoing sin. "Everyone who sins is a slave to sin, but if the son set you free, you are free indeed." "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability to bear, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

3. Jesus removed the burden of needing to obey the law of Moses by fulfilling the law. "For the law was given through Moses, Grace and Truth came through Jesus Christ."

4. Jesus removes the burden of being bossed around by religious authorities, since "the head of every man is Christ" and "no man can serve two masters." His rebuke is ongoing for those who would place or accept a religious yoke of human authority -

a) Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? (Acts 15:10)
b) For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1)
c) So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 14:16-17)
d) And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them. (Luke 11:46)
e) For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. (Acts 15:28-29)
f) Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke? (Isaiah 58:6)

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
You are correct, New is the wrong word.
I may be missing it, but I can't seem to find an application for the concept of new that relates to the eternal realm (walk in the Spirit); the transition to which is the essence of sanctification, (and the foundation of fruit production).

The Great commandment. Yet it kind of replaced the others, Love God and your neighbor as yourself. Couldn't that be considered a burden? Maybe not the God part but the neighbor part. Regardless of who we think our neighbor is.
Is the greatest replacement for those that follow; or are those that follow dependent upon the greatest.

"The second is like it ..." First things first — perhaps any difficulty experienced with the second reflects a difficulty with the first. I have found it so.

Artfuldodger

I may be missing it, but I can't seem to find an application for the concept of new that relates to the eternal realm (walk in the Spirit); the transition to which is the essence of sanctification, (and the foundation of fruit production).

Is the greatest replacement for those that follow; or are those that follow dependent upon the greatest.

"The second is like it ..." First things first — perhaps any difficulty experienced with the second reflects a difficulty with the first. I have found it so.
I think Jesus was trying to convey that if one loved God, he would also love his neighbor. I think it's about as spiritual a one can be.
Maybe "love" is what Jesus was trying to convey. It's the heart of the ten commandments.

You are correct that it isn't new, Just the last that Jesus mentioned. It's as if someone is spiritual, this summary command is in their heart.

I think I'll start a new thread on this subject.

Madman

We are required to be obedient to God. How has Jesus made that easier by his death?
Sometimes I ask the wrong question. Maybe it's the same here.

Jesus death and resurrection defeated death. "Oh death where is thy sting?"

I am to become like Christ. Take my yoke upon you........... is in light of rabbinic law that had been strapped on the Jews.

LittleDrummerBoy

You are correct, New is the wrong word. The Great commandment. Yet it kind of replaced the others, Love God and your neighbor as yourself. Couldn't that be considered a burden? Maybe not the God part but the neighbor part. Regardless of who we think our neighbor is.

The world, the flesh, and the devil have all worked hard to redefine "love" so many are fooled into thinking they are carrying out these instructions when they have lots of room for improvement. One song that was important in my early transition from the worldly view to a Biblical view is this one: "Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will."

Digging deeper into Scripture, a good summary is that love is an act of the will to do good to and for the object of one's love. Of course, one needs to keep working within the Biblical definition of "good" rather than getting off into worldly or fleshly understandings of "good." If in doubt, I fall back onto the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." This provides a concrete answer for me on how to love when I'm otherwise stuck for ideas.

Israel

BANNED

It's a gift, isn't it?
A sort of "How to know..."

We might agree(????)...if left very much "to ourselves" how easy it is to imagine we are this fellow:

And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

And we know what he "had to hear"...

It's a funny thing, almost hilariously funny, no, it is hilariously funny...that we would think we would make our disposition "toward" the Lord...more plain to the Lord...by our speaking.

I am reminded of the time I was seeking to pray with some understanding of a thing I sensed...but it was just as though appearing behind a gauze...I saw form...but not plainness...and I grasped at it for expression...in speech to the point of saying "Lord, do you know what I mean....?"

For the love of Christ just laugh with, or at that man, no matter.joy.jpg

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
It's a gift, isn't it?
A sort of "How to know..."

We might agree(????)...if left very much "to ourselves" how easy it is to imagine we are this fellow:

And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

And we know what he "had to hear"...
Yes, there is both sorrow and joy in what he heard. I confess that I must work to get passed the sorrow in that message.

It's a funny thing, almost hilariously funny, no, it is hilariously funny...that we would think we would make our disposition "toward" the Lord...more plain to the Lord...by our speaking.

I am reminded of the time I was seeking to pray with some understanding of a thing I sensed...but it was just as though appearing behind a gauze...I saw form...but not plainness...and I grasped at it for expression...in speech to the point of saying "Lord, do you know what I mean....?"

For the love of Christ just laugh with, or at that man, no matter.View attachment 1000890
You have been proven correct, I laughed out loud at the absurdity of each of the statements.