Job's Experience No Excuse For Christians To Live In Defeat

BanjoPicker

These are the kinds of doctrines expressed constantly in modern churches by preachers who know infinitely less about God after studying the six-books of the Bible than Job knew without the Bible. These false doctrines are the ones taught by most of the modern religious teachers, that is about God and His dealings with men. Therefore when men come along contradicting such teachings they are classed as fanatical and heretical in the extreme. The truth is they are the heretics.

BanjoPicker

Job Teaches Modern Saints Many Lessons

These lessons can and should be learned by all modern believers. They should profit by the experience of Job ever afterward intelligently act to defeat Satan in their lives and to get deliverance according to their needs.

Satan is the author of sickness and disease (Job 2:7; Acts 10:38).
Satan causes calamities to come to men (Job 1:6-22; Rev. 12:9).
Satan is the accuser of the righteous (Job 1:6-12; 2:1-8; Rev. 12:10).
Satan is permitted to go only so far in testing God's people (Job 1:12; 2:6; 1 Cor. 10:12, 13; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9).
God does not permit Satan to test His own people (Job 1:6-12; 2:1-8; Lk. 22:31-34; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9).
Satan has access to God's throne (Job 1:6-12; 2:1-8; Rev. 12:10).
Satan has many helpers in disguise (Job 1:6-22; 2 Cor. 11:13, 14; Rev. 12:7-12).
God will not utterly forsake the righteous in times of trial (Job 42:1-17; Ps. 34:6; 37:23, 24; 2 Cor. 4:8-12; 6:5-10; Jas. 5:10, 11).
God is the deliverer of His people in sickness and trouble (Job 42; Jas. 5:10, 11; Acts 10:38; Jn. 10:10; 1 Cor. 10:12, 13).
God always delivers those whom Satan is permitted to attack for the purpose of testing (Job 42; Jas. 5:10, 11; Ps. 91:1-12; 103:1-4).
God uses troubles to purify and refine men just like any father would use any trouble his child got into to help him be a better man (Job 33:14-30).

BanjoPicker

God is not the cause of the trouble any more than a wise and righteous earthly parent would be, but since men are attacked by Satan He works it out to their best good if they will simply turn to Him for help and deliverance (Job 42: Ps. 34:6-19; 37:1-10; Heb. 6; Jas. 1:5-8).
God is not to be judged concerning His acts (Job 2:10; 1 Cor. 13:12, 13).
Men must learn that cooperating with God is His method of deliverance (Job 33:14-30; Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9; Acts 10:38; Jas. 5:10-16).
God is greater than all and can and will deliver from any power that afflicts His people (Job 42; Jn. 10:10; Acts 10:38; Lk. 13:14; Ps. 103:1-4).
Man is frail and helpless in himself to defeat Satan (Job 1:6-22; 2:1-10; Eph. 6:10-18; 2 Cor. 10:4-7; Rev. 12:10, 11; Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9).
Man should depend upon God and have faith before he gets into trouble (Ps. 91; 2 Cor. 10:4-7; Eph. 6:10-18; Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9).

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Thousands of sick and defeated Christians are using Job and his sufferings as the divine pattern for all men to be content in sickness and calamity. They use him as excuse to continue in defeat and unbelief. They oppose God's Word and contend that they must be in the will of God and special subjects of God's grace when in times of sickness, pain, or failure in business. They miss altogether the true teachings of the experience of Job. God never intended men to use the case of Job for any such purposes. God intended all men to see how He is glorified, not in sickness and calamity, but in deliverance from such.

No offense, but it's easy to see where others deviate from God's intentions. Most preachers make their only hay off that alone; preaching down to others. The fact is that any unbelieving literate person with a Bible can do that. It's another matter indeed to provide common sense, easy to understand, compassionate and applicable guidance in such matters. That takes a shepherd and there are darn few of those behind the pulpits these days.

SemperFiDawg

When the inspired writer used Job as an example it was not to encourage anyone to believe that it is in the will of God for him to remain sick that he should tolerate sin, sickness, and financial defeat that he should accept these things as being sent by God that he should use Job as an example of failure to get from God those things which Christ died to deliver him from, and which God promised to keep us from, provided that certain conditions are met. Job was used as an example of patience and of deliverance

This and this alone is the underlying lesson of Job. "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”

BanjoPicker

And it still does not change for anyone to blame God and use Job for a reason to be sick when Jesus's stripes took care of our sickness if we would only believe and have faith that he has done this.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
And it still does not change for anyone to blame God and use Job for a reason to be sick when Jesus's stripes took care of our sickness if we would only believe and have faith that he has done this.
I don’t know of anyone blaming God because of Job for their sickness.

I know plenty of folks who blame God for things He doesn’t do or they lack faith and trust in Him!

And I know folks who think they know what’s wrong with God’s people but they do not.

I bet there are many who can affirm my testimony, that is, I have been healed every time I been sick. Thank you Lord!

BanjoPicker

And that's good, and the Bible tells the truth about thou folks too. as be not deceived believing that a child of God should be sick. the devil causes sickness and sin not God.

SemperFiDawg

And that's good, and the Bible tells the truth about thou folks too. as be not deceived believing that a child of God should be sick. the devil causes sickness and sin not God.

Not going there.

BanjoPicker

Sickness is not always experienced because of some personal sin (Job 1:1-12; 2:1-10; Jn. 9:1-3; Jas. 5:14-16).
Man's friends are always ready to criticize, to find fault, and to interpret wrongly divine providence in time of sickness or calamity (Job 4:1-37:24).
Attacks of Satan are part of the lot of the best Christians (Job. 1:1-12; Eph. 6:10-18; Jn. 10:10; Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8, 9).
Men must learn patience and trust in God (Jas. 5:10, 11; Rom. 5:1-11).
Men must learn to give thanks to God in trouble (Job 1:21; Phil. 4:6).
Men under trail generally accuse God falsely of being responsible for the trouble (Job 42:3).
Satan gets men to accuse God and blame Him for the devil's own works (Rev.12:10).
It is God's purpose and will to test men through the attacks of Satan (1 Cor. 10:12, 13).
God seeks to get glory by men remaining true to Him and by delivering them from the works of the devil (Jn. 10:10).
Under test it is only natural to defend one's self, as did Job (Job 42:1-6).

BanjoPicker

It does not pay to criticize anyone in trouble. God and sometimes man will make critics humble themselves before the ones they talked about (Job 42:7-9).
It does not pay to find fault with God (Job 42:1-6; Gal. 6:7, 8).
Men must learn to trust God in sickness and calamity (Jas. 5:10, 11).
God does not always reveal Himself the very moment we pray, but He will answer if men have faith (Job 40:1-6; 42:1-6; Lk. 18:1-8).
It does not pay to argue or to defend one's, self in time of trouble (Job 40:1-6; 42:1-6; Ps. 37:1-9; 1 Pet. 4:12-19).
The godly are always vindicated in the end and right always prevails in time (Job 42:1-7; Heb. 10:30-36; 1 Pet. 4:12-19).

LovinOutside

I know better than to get into these things. I really do.

And, I do not know where to start in the OP statement as it contains some truth and some error. But in general,

James 5:

8Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. 9Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. 10Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. 11Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. 12But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. 13Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: [I tried to bold, but it wouldn't let me.]

I don't usually use the KJV, but it is the version that came to mind. In the olden days, we didn't have 50 versions. Personally, I prefer the NASB or the ESV.

LovinOutside

When the inspired writer used Job as an example it was not to encourage anyone to believe that it is in the will of God for him to remain sick that he should tolerate sin, sickness, and financial defeat that he should accept these things as being sent by God that he should use Job as an example of failure to get from God those things which Christ died to deliver him from, and which God promised to keep us from, provided that certain conditions are met. Job was used as an example of patience and of deliverance. In James 5 the writer predicted labor troubles in the last days and how the rich men would have calamities strike them because of their oppression of the poor (James 5:1-6). James next advised Christians to be patient in such times for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh (James 5:7-9). He then stated that the prophets were examples of suffering and of patience (James 5:10). The sufferings of the prophets was not that of sickness and disease as much as other sufferings as can be seen in Heb. 11:4, 7,, 19, 23-39. Not one example of sickness is given in all the list of sufferings in these passages. They were afflicted with wars and persecutions by the ungodly but not with sickness. Job is the only example given concerning physical diseases among the prophets (James 5:10, 11). Naturally, God wants all men to be patient in sickness as well as in other troubles but this no excuse to accept sickness as the will of God [blaming God] or as being sent from Him. This is no excuse to make up our minds to remain sick and give in to the attacks of the devil. Such attacks should never be accepted as the work of God or as being sent from God. God did not send the sufferings upon Job that he went through.

Why did Job cover his mouth?

BanjoPicker

Why did Job cover his mouth?

Job 40:1 More over the Lord answered Job and said, This indicates that God paused a moment and then continued answering Job (v 1).

40:2 Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.

Great Sins of Job:
1 He contendeth with the Almighty to instruct Him 40:2
2 Reproved God 40:2
3 Disannulled God's judgment 40:8
4 Condemned God to make himself appear righteous 40:8
5 Hid counsel without knowledge 42:3
6 Uttered what he did not understand 42:3.

40:3 Then Job answered the Lord, and said, meaning Then after Jehovah had asked him 60 questions about the animate and inanimate creations, Job answered; but he was not as bold and self-confident about being justified if he could talk to God in person, as he had bragged about in his discourses (v3-5).

40:4 Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
meaning Compare this brief answer and the attitude of Job here (v 4-5) with the bragging of 23:1-8. He said then that he would fill his mouth with arguments if God would only come to him and give him a fair trial. But what did he do? He had nothing to say except that he was vile and did not know what answer to give God.
The first of only two questions Job asked during the whole trial in God's presence. There were 186 questions and God asked 184 of them; it was like a courtroom cross examination. Where were all the arguments Job said he would give should he ever have the opportunity to see God and talk to Him (23:3-5)? Now all he wanted to do was lay his hand upon his mouth (v 4). In the first barrage of questions from Jehovah, Job was brought to complete silence and acknowledgment of his vileness (v 4-5) After the second barrage Job was brought to complete repentance (42:1-6).

Then after Job had answered Jehovah briefly and made his confession of vileness, God continued by asking 25 more questions (40:6-41:34).

gemcgrew

Such attacks should never be accepted as the work of God or as being sent from God. God did not send the sufferings upon Job that he went through.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Satan serves God's purpose.

BanjoPicker

Even the best men are at times weak and discouraged (Job 3).
Seek to help and encourage men in trouble instead of condemning them (Job 13:1-4; 16:1-6; 19:3; 21:3; Mt. 7:1-5; Gal. 6:7, 8).
Riches and honor are insecure (Job 29:1-30:31).
Satan is the adversary of God's people (Job 1:1-22; 2:1-12; Rev. 12:10).
Trials and sickness should not cause men to backslide (Job 1:1-22; 2:1-12; 1 Cor. 10:12, 13; Jas. 5:10, 11; 1 Pet. 4:12-19).
Bodily sickness need not affect the status of the soul (Job 2:1-12).
Do not permit wives or husbands to discourage us or cause to backslide (Job 2:1-12; 1 Cor. 7:15-17).
Satan is sometimes given permission by God to cause storms (Job 1:6-22).