Joining a club process

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Every one will be a little different. The first step on your part will be call/text/reply to the post. The next step will be up to the club.

If they say send money to join and you do one or both of you will probably have made a mistake. The process should include the determination that the ground to be hunted, the rules, and the other members are to your satisfaction, The club should endeavor to determine whether or not you are satisfactory to them as well.

Read the rules before you join.

Agreed.

Every one will be a little different. The first step on your part will be call/text/reply to the post. The next step will be up to the club.

If they say send money to join and you do one or both of you will probably have made a mistake. The process should include the determination that the ground to be hunted, the rules, and the other members are to your satisfaction, The club should endeavor to determine whether or not you are satisfactory to them as well.

Im a process oriented person so it should be something like

1. Response to post via text/call/reply/etc..
  2. Meet Club owner and members
  3. Review that the club and land are up to my standards
  4. Club members approve of me
  5. Payment by cash or venmo?
edit: I think my hangup is going out to meeting someone with cash. I'd rather pay using some other option but i guess thats up to the club how they accept it.

baddave

you do know there is public land hunting ? actually that is all some people hunt . there are multiple places to go , some are many thousand of acres and in my opinion it is in some respects less pressure than a lot of private land - just sayin

you do know there is public land hunting ? actually that is all some people hunt . there are multiple places to go , some are many thousand of acres and in my opinion it is in some respects less pressure than a lot of private land - just sayin

Yes, i know there is public hunting land. The last time i went there was multiple instances in the same day where shooters shot 6+ times.

Maybe they were killing zombies instead of deer but i doubt it.

baddave

Yes, i know there is public hunting land. The last time i went there was multiple instances in the same day where shooters shot 6+ times.

Maybe they were killing zombies instead of deer but i doubt it.
oh well - i've heard the same thing around my farm on private land - I'm not a wma aficionado but i have been to several . I can honestly say I've never really had a bad experience but anyway-- good luck

Rich M

The way I've seen it is to meet with the guy at the lease and get a tour, see how you feel about it, the rules, where everyone has their hunting areas, etc. Be careful with small clubs - the guys can turn on your real quick. Lotsa clubs have rules that they don't follow and get mad if you follow them.

Anyone who just takes money and says head on out isn't gonna do anything else either. You should worry about these kind of arrangements. They usually turn into - go hunt but stay away from any stands and there are stands in every other tree.

Watch out for leases with lotsa families - Lotta money to spend so some kid can hunt your stand. Family clubs are good for families, not 1 or 2 guys hunting. Kids add a whole nother element - extra 4 wheeler/quad riding and they'll be in your stand if you say you saw something.

transfixer

I typically would talk with the potential member and explain our club, what our goals are, what we expect, and our basic rules, then I would arrange a time to meet them at the lease and give them a tour of the property, talk with them about hunting in general, and basically feel them out to see if they are someone we'd get along with and be willing to hunt with, many times I've told them I have a couple others to show the property to and will let them know within a certain time period, I might discuss the person with a couple other long time members, and if we do have others we're showing the property to we'd end up picking the person that best fits with our group.

Sometimes I've told them after the tour and talking with them that they can consider themselves accepted if they like the property, but that has been less than half the time.

I would not suggest you pay before you tour the club, and have a discussion at length with whoever runs the club and possibly other members as well.

transfixer

One addition, typically we take checks as payment for dues, if cash is paid we'd write the person as receipt, if you aren't comfortable enough to pay cash to someone you're going to be in the woods with a high powered rifle at the same time potentially, that probably isn't a club I'd join, payment apps are a millenial thing, unless you're joining a club run by millenials I doubt that is going to fly.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Good advice from transfixed. Also something else, particularly if it is member on this forum or on another social media group, etc that you may be in as well. Pay attention to what they post on the group, forum, etc. This goes for a club you are potentially joining or for anyone looking for potential members. What they post on the internet hunting related will really give you an idea of what it is like to hunt with or under the leadership of that person.

THe first thing I would ask is "how often a membership becomes available". If you they have big turnover, you might not want to join.
Ask how long the club has been around.
Ask to see pic of previous kills.
Is it a hunting lease or private property?
Is it a first come first serve club or do they have private areas you have to hunt.
Ask to see the lease papers. This will have the number of ac. on it and the cost per ac.
Ask if alcohol is permitted, many clubs these days don't allow any alcohol.
Ask about guest policy.
Ask about camping and if pets are allowed.
Ask about club rules. These are not the same as the lease rules, if it is a lease.
Try and go during hunting season and talk to members.
Pay only after you have toured the property.
I take cash or check. I prefer check because it leaves a paper trail. This is the first year I did Venmo, few of the members appreciated it.

Personally I would only join a club through word of mouth, but if you have to find one online then you don't have much of a choice.

Good luck.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
We interview each potential member. First over the phone then in person, usually when you show property. Important for everyone... make sure a good fit.