Just a reminder - ticks...

Bubba_1122

Went out to my hunting club yesterday. Changed and situated several cameras as well as checked several stands and marked them (I carve an identifying mark into my stands with a portable engraving machine now because had a poacher steal one last year and because I couldn't specifically ID it the poacher, who told the GW it was his, got to keep it).

Anyway, if I'm headed out there I'll typically wear clothes treated with permithrin. Didn't yesterday and had a tick dug in deep on my backside at my beltline this morning. My wife spent 30 minutes trying to get that thing off. Finally came out in pieces.

Just ordered several bottles of Sawyers from Amazon to treat my clothes for me and my grandkids. Also ordered a gadget called a Tick Tornado (tick remover that my daughter says some of her friends have used on their kids).

I won't go back out there without wearing treated clothes. Don't want Lyme disease or any of the other bad things that ticks share with us.

So here's a reminder to all you good folks: take care of yourself as you're out getting ready for the season. Take preventative action on ticks and check closely when you get out of the woods to make sure you don't have any on you (before they get dug in).

Hope y'all all have a great season!

Bubba

Last edited:

furtaker

I try to remember to take a shot of vinegar before I head to the woods this time of year. I've always been a tick magnet but I don't seem to get nearly as many as I used to. Maybe it helps.

ssramage

I try to remember to take a shot of vinegar before I head to the woods this time of year. I've always been a tick magnet but I don't seem to get nearly as many as I used to. Maybe it helps.

I used to do the vinegar thing but can’t do it anymore. Gives me real bad reflux. It worked when I did though.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I was doing some trimming out of roads on our place last week and just knew I was going to end up with some but I managed to come home without any.

southernman13

I never get ticks in Ga. I’m in the woods everyday. We have a place in Tn and I get one just walking in the yard. That place is loaded. It’s crazy I never ever am concerned here in SW ga. I know there here but for some reason never get on me.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I stepped off the boat and checked an area for maybe 45 minutes and I think I had a chigger latch on. I ended up getting bit about 5 times.....I resprayed my clothes with permethrin and plan on wearing proper clothes.

dick7.62

I take apple cider vinegar tablets and I never have a tick bite me. They crawl on me but never bite. Tablets are more convenient than liquid. I never use any repellent.

ssramage

I take apple cider vinegar tablets and I never have a tick bite me. They crawl on me but never bite. Tablets are more convenient than liquid. I never use any repellent.

Can you share which tablets you use? I found sims ACV gummies at Sam’s but I’m not sure they’re potent enough to work. The property I live on has got to have the worst tick population I’ve ever seen. Just going in the yard typically results in a few and if you step in the woods, seed ticks are really bad.

southernman13

I’m a chigger magnet. Again in Tn we have a place in the river. There’s an island right out from the house everyone goes to with a nice beach. They are me alive twice. No one else seems to get any. I don’t get on it no more lol. There’s nothing worse than chiggers in my mind. They last for a week or so and nothings u can do about it. Last time I was up there 4th July I got 3 chiggers just around the house. One of em was in a very bad spot hehe.

dick7.62

Can you share which tablets you use? I found sims ACV gummies at Sam’s but I’m not sure they’re potent enough to work. The property I live on has got to have the worst tick population I’ve ever seen. Just going in the yard typically results in a few and if you step in the woods, seed ticks are really bad.
I use Puritans Pride 600 mg 2 a day , 1 morning and 1 night. I tried 1 a day and had 1 bite me. I went to two a day and no more bites.

frankwright

You can also pick up a quart of Martin's 10% Permethrin and cut it 1 oz of Martins to 19 oz of water to make your own clothing spray.
I about went broke buying the spray cans from Walmart but the Sawyers doesn't look too expensive.
I don't go to the woods for any reason,ever, without spraying my clothes.

ssramage

I use Puritans Pride 600 mg 2 a day , 1 morning and 1 night. I tried 1 a day and had 1 bite me. I went to two a day and no more bites.

Looks like that delivers a little more than the gummies that I have, which are 400mg each. I may try just taking 3 of them for now and then switch to the pills when I run out. Thanks!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Besides spraying down clothes and my body, one other thing I've been doing last couple years that is helping is wearing light colored work pants instead of camo pants or even jeans. Amazing how many ticks I see and brush off during a scouting session or workday at the farm. Maybe just peace of mind and they wouldnt have latched on anyway, but there's always a bunch.

hambone76

Besides spraying down clothes and my body, one other thing I've been doing last couple years that is helping is wearing light colored work pants instead of camo pants or even jeans. Amazing how many ticks I see and brush off during a scouting session or workday at the farm. Maybe just peace of mind and they wouldnt have latched on anyway, but there's always a bunch.

I usually wear olive or grey pants when out hunting or scouting and your right, they are more noticeable.
I treat my clothing, inside & out, with Permethrin, then change into some shorts/sandals for the ride home. Clothing gets bagged and tossed in the bed of the truck.
I don’t want to get a tick-borne illness ever again. It’s miserable.

Wifeshusband

I never get ticks in Ga. I’m in the woods everyday. We have a place in Tn and I get one just walking in the yard. That place is loaded. It’s crazy I never ever am concerned here in SW ga. I know there here but for some reason never get on me.
I've been hunting in SW GA (Stewart, Marion and Chattahoochie) for nigh on 50 years now. In the spring time they are everywhere down there. I gave up turkey hunting because of it. One May (a mistake that will never be repeated) we decided to move some stands. All of us were so covered with ticks (literally dozens) that after getting home and showering, they were still with me the next day, and the day after. That being said, I have never gotten any in the fall or winter, but I'll be ****ed if my feet are found in deer woods in spring or summer.