Just curious if anyone knows where you can buy cottonseed

shdw633

50 pound bags or by the one ton bags. Does anyone know where you can get it from the Macon area south to the Florida border?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
PM Doomtrpr_z71

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Try Coley gin in Vienna, Ga. about 2 miles off of I-75 in Dooly co. 229-268-4311.

doomtrpr_z71

If coley doesn't want to fool with it try Pitts gin in Wilcox co. They may be shut down, I'm pretty sure trico gin in unadilla is still running so they would be a possibility as well. Gin trash would have cotton seed in it and would be a lot cheaper.

Dbender

Cotton seed can be toxic, not sure deer would eat enough but it's something to consider. It can kill a hog.

shdw633

Cotton seed can be toxic, not sure deer would eat enough but it's something to consider. It can kill a hog.

Yes, toxic to the extent it can make the buck sterile; however, when the buck stops eating the cotton seed his testosterone levels go back to normal, that's why I only feed it from now until August and then stop. It takes about six weeks for the testosterone levels to return. The fact that it can kill a hog, which is true, is a good thing in my opinion.

shdw633

Academy in Macon has it in 50lb bags

Under what label? I have never seen an Academy in Florida or Georgia that sells it but I have never been in an Academy as far north as Macon, only Valdosta and Brunswick.

Dbender

Yes, toxic to the extent it can make the buck sterile; however, when the buck stops eating the cotton seed his testosterone levels go back to normal, that's why I only feed it from now until August and then stop. It takes about six weeks for the testosterone levels to return. The fact that it can kill a hog, which is true, is a good thing in my opinion.
It can cause more problems than just sterility.
It will kill a horse too. Of course a deers gastric system is totally different. I'm just putting it out there for someone who hasn't done any research and trying to find a cheap feed source.

shdw633

It can cause more problems than just sterility.
It will kill a horse too. Of course a deers gastric system is totally different. I'm just putting it out there for someone who hasn't done any research and trying to find a cheap feed source.

I don't believe it will. You will have to show me where it says it will kill a deer. I've read a lot over the last year regarding feeding it as they do it all the time in Texas and have read about the sterility issue but none have indicated it will kill a deer. Corn will kill a deer if he just stands there and eats nothing but that and for a long period of time.

Dbender

I wast not arguing with you, like I said just putting it out there for others to weigh the pros and cons. Here's a number for you, if they don't have any they can put you in touch with someone who does more than likely. 478 472-7847

Last edited:

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Purely curious why cotton seed over say roasted soybeans? To be honest never even priced cotton seed but I did read some stuff out of Texas but never seriously considered it

shdw633

Purely curious why cotton seed over say roasted soybeans? To be honest never even priced cotton seed but I did read some stuff out of Texas but never seriously considered it

Much cheaper than soybeans, good protein source, pigs and other varmints, including turkeys won't eat it.