Just got my buck back

Professor

Disagree with the first statement entirely. Its difficult, but you can have success with a bow.

Agree with the second.
Not saying you can not have success with a bow. Just saying that in these situations he bumped them out while creeping in on them. Armed with an accurate rifle and the knowledge of their bedding areas, his chances of success go way up.

splatek

UAEC
Need the rifle. Plus, I would go back to those locations again before December and go in expecting to kill the deer.

I know, I know. Others tell me to tote the rifle too… I’m not sure why I’m drawn to the bow, but I am. Come December, if all I’ve got in the freezer are these bears, the rifle will come out. i know the TRAD bow is a handicap especially for a newbie hunter like myself, but when you get an animal with the a longbow, nothing else compares.

Professor

I know, I know. Others tell me to tote the rifle too… I’m not sure why I’m drawn to the bow, but I am. Come December, if all I’ve got in the freezer are these bears, the rifle will come out. i know the TRAD bow is a handicap especially for a newbie hunter like myself, but when you get an animal with the a longbow, nothing else compares.
I can not argue with that, other than to ask if you have seen my wall. Seriously, go back with the bow before December and go in believing the buck is there.

ddd-shooter

I only bowhunt the mountains. If I can do it, anyone can, lol
Be encouraged! It may take you a little to get it, but if you'll leave the rifle at home, you will have a thrill like no other. You can do it!
Also, before thanksgiving is my best time for big bucks. I find theyre still on their sign at that time. After that, theyre running crazy.

Professor

This ones for you @splatek Not to derail, but I think the mountains have a more balanced age structure and a way more balanced buck/doe ratio than the rest of the state. This means a higher percentage of mature bucks, and they are out cruising and laying down sign more than older bucks in areas with a ton of does. If you look at a typical mid GA WMA check in sheet there’s like a 15:1 ratio of 1.5 year olds to deer 3.5 and older. In the mountains, where I hunt at least, there’s usually more bucks 3.5 and older on the sheets than young ones. Basically the low hunter numbers, vast chunks of difficult terrain and extremely low success rates mean that you are more likely to see a mature buck (if you see deer at all) in the mountains than any other public land in the state. That’s my opinion at least.
Yeah. Usually a few young ones and the rest are split more or less evenly. Lots of 3 and a half and four and a half years olds. These two on my wall are 2 of the 3 mature studs I have seen in the woods while hunting. The 3rd I missed after jumping him out of a brush pile in Coweta County. That was in the 80s. I am certain there are more mature bucks walking around up there than on flat land.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
I only bowhunt the mountains. If I can do it, anyone can, lol
Be encouraged! It may take you a little to get it, but if you'll leave the rifle at home, you will have a thrill like no other. You can do it!
Also, before thanksgiving is my best time for big bucks. I find theyre still on their sign at that time. After that, theyre running crazy.

I’m trying. had a bear almost walk into me tonight. A yard closer and it would’ve been in my ghillie suit. but no deer.
Had my longbow. The wooden arrows I built. I was ready. I’m trying

chrislibby88

Yeah. Usually a few young ones and the rest are split more or less evenly. Lots of 3 and a half and four and a half years olds. These two on my wall are 2 of the 3 mature studs I have seen in the woods while hunting. The 3rd I missed after jumping him out of a brush pile in Coweta County. That was in the 80s. I am certain their are more mature bucks walking around up there than on flat land.
Definitely not more mature deer per mile, but they make up a larger part of the population, so if you see a buck the odds of him being mature are much higher than the rest of the state.

Professor

Definitely not more mature deer per mile, but they make up a larger part of the population, so if you see a buck the odds of him being mature are much higher than the rest of the state.
right, but I have access to a lot more land in the mountains than I ever have had on flat land.