Just wondering..

zedex

Gator Bait
Going off mrs hornet22's " and just like that" post, it got me thinking.

Glass ornaments used to be the norm but are the exception now.
I hate those chinese plastic ornaments.
Every time I see those cheap plastic things, I get disgusted at how American companies have sold out to the chinese. What happened to American pride? American workmanship?

On same, note... same thing with modern linens... Cannon Mills out of NC made the absolute best products. Thanks to walmart, Cannon Mills closed and we get towels that just wipe, not absorb, water.

Walmart wanted Cannon to move operations to china so the product could be made cheaper. Cannon refused because the people of three towns relied on the work. Without it, the towns would be in serious trouble. They hoped Walmart would concede but they didnt. Walmart was the largest buyer.

Instead of keeping Americans employed, walmart stopped buying from cannon and is buying from china.

Anyone else feel we need to stop buying from foreign countries when products can be made right here?

Big7

The Oracle
I agree. A lot of Town's in the south were textile based.

So disgusting to me, I've narrowed my Christmas activities to mid- night Mass at the Monastery in Conyers and if I can stay awake, Christmas Day Mass at St Pius X if I can stay awake.

The little Granddaughter's get to celebrate at my home. Other than that, I'm done with it.

Shame commercialization has taken the fun out of nearly everything. Even Christmas.?

Hillbilly stalker

It's just Greed.........Springs textile left many small towns in this area. They moved almost everything to Brazil. Products made cheaper and sold higher. It sure dried up a lot of little small towns around here. Mill towns and coal towns have a lot in common. I remember being just a chap and hearing people say " buy American, it's some bodies job". Older people may not have been as educated, but they sure were wise. Junk is junk.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I buy American if there's an option. Even if it cost more. I'm in the construction trade and a lot of my tools are made by dewalt. The best circular saw made is makita but they're made in China. I bought a dewalt saw a few months ago to compare and that's all I'll be buying from now on. Griffin Georgia used to have a bunch of textile mills. The Chinese products have pretty much ruined that town

nkbigdog

I am fed up with them! When looking for a spacific brand of grocery product, it's hard to find something without their brand on it..When cooking I will not substitute a product they market from the ones I have used for many years..I either go to Kroger which is 35 minutes away from me or Ingles which is at the bottom of My Mountain.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I wish I still had the silver xmas tree with glass ornaments and color projection wheel I had as a kid.

That thing was space age cool.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I avoid Wal Mart when possible. You buy a product a long time from there and the next thing you know they have replaced it with something from China.

zedex

Gator Bait
Around here, even though I'm on an island, all seafood in grocery stores are from china, Vietnam, Cambodia or other foreign sources. There is no north American seafood available despite having a large seafood fleet.
Though I'm not much for fish, I do like the occasion tuna sandwich or tuna salad. I'm not buying it from a country where the water is heavily polluted.
The only saving grace is a local fish processing plant. They process only locally caught fish for clients and they also have some fish for sale. I'll buy only from them.

notnksnemor

I saw one of those once. I was pretty much hypnotized by it

We had one growing up in the early 60's.
The time period made it special.
The Cuban missile crisis. The race for space just getting started.

They look hokey by today's standards, but in the day they were space age cool.

zedex

Gator Bait

Yep. That's the one. By todays standards, it is pretty shoddy. Back then, it was too cool.
Another tree I liked was the fiber optic ones that came out about 25 years ago. Theres still a variation on the market currently, I think.

I have to admit that the Chinese are always looking for that new catch and that's why they are so successful. If American companies devoted more to forward thinking and building quality products, people wouldn't mind paying extra.

Remember the old tv sets that lasted 20-25 years?? Now we have fancy tv sets that are still spendy but may last 5 years.

American cars used to be an "in demand" product due to quality. The Japanese have that market now.

We need to recapture American pride and American quality

notnksnemor

American cars used to be an "in demand" product due to quality. The Japanese have that market now.

We need to recapture American pride and American quality

Look at most any family photo from the 50's thru the '60's and the car was the center piece of the photo.

When a Dad got a new car in the neighborhood, he raised the hood and before long all the other Dad's were gathered there gawking over it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

I will have to look out in the barn but I think I still have the one Mom bought, We used it for 2 years and us kids hated the thing. We would walk across the new nylon rug and sparks from static electiecity would fly 2 to 3 inches from the tree when we got near. It was in the attic after Mom passed. I think I put in the barn. If you are serious about wanting one PM me and I will look.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Had one of the silver trees with revolving color projection light. Would like to have it now, just for the nostalgia.

zedex

Gator Bait
Look at most any family photo from the 50's thru the '60's and the car was the center piece of the photo.

When a Dad got a new car in the neighborhood, he raised the hood and before long all the other Dad's were gathered there gawking over it.

Yea... American cars had character. At a glance, it was easy to one from the other. Modern cars look like German and Japanese cars. It's all cookie cutter cars now, they have no distinctive design.
The only reason why people look now is to find out if it's a Mercedes or a Hyundai

zedex

Gator Bait
I will have to look out in the barn but I think I still have the one Mom bought, We used it for 2 years and us kids hated the thing. We would walk across the new nylon rug and sparks from static electiecity would fly 2 to 3 inches from the tree when we got near. It was in the attic after Mom passed. I think I put in the barn. If you are serious about wanting one PM me and I will look.
That's a sweet deal

notnksnemor

Yea... American cars had character. At a glance, it was easy to one from the other. Modern cars look like German and Japanese cars. It's all cookie cutter cars now, they have no distinctive design.
The only reason why people look now is to find out if it's a Mercedes or a Hyundai

I was in Ankara, Turkey in 2003 on business. Had some down time on a Sunday morning and walked to the local market.
I heard a rumbling that sounded very familiar coming from behind me. Turned around and here came a cherried out '57 Chevy down the narrow street.
He pulled in to the market and I asked him about his ride. He was a local politician, bought it in the states and had it shipped to Turkey.
Only drove it on Sunday mornings when the roads weren't crowded.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer

I remember one of those. My Mama's friend had one. We always just went to my Granddad's farm and cut a cedar tree. Made me itch.facepalm: How bout the silver tinsle you would blow on the tree. :bounce:

Last edited:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
What happened to American pride? American workmanship?

The love of the almighty dollar.

I just ordered the plumbing material for my house.

I bought the Made in USA Viega PEX. 300' roll of 1/2" was $118.

The Chicom Bluefin brand was $58.

I paid over twice the Chicom price to buy American.