Kansas Non Resident

HDDyna06

Anyone have experience with Kansas that could share some insight on their "Points" drawing for Archery, BP, Modern Gun? I pulled down the Regulations and with out taking a spreadsheet worth of notes it was a little confusing. Looking at the reality of getting drawn for 1st time application? Thanks

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I have friends who bowhunt Kansas every yr. Don't know about the zones and such but they are west enough not to have turkeys. But where they hunt has big bucks for sure. They lease and go out every yr

southerndraw

I know the state of Kansas has been talking about going OTC lately.

mike1225

I drew a tag for 10 or 11 years in a row for muzzle loader. This year I did not draw. I found out a lot of others didn't draw. I still think you have a great chance at drawing the 1st time you apply.

southerndraw

I heard a pile of the animal rights nuts put in for thousands of tags to never use them, another reason to go OTC.

mike1225

I heard a pile of the animal rights nuts put in for thousands of tags to never use them, another reason to go OTC.
It's hard to believe this is true because when you apply you have to pay for the tag at that time. If you don't draw they then refund all your money except for the cost of a preference point. The tags are not cheap.

shdw633

I may be going next year and hope they go OTC!!

mike1225

I´ve been reading some on their site & have seen nothing about over the counter tags. I did finally see a number on the people that didn´t draw. Less than 3000 didn´t draw. I don´t know if that´s a fact.

GottaGetOutdoors

KS is divided into 18 units. White-tailed deer quota is set per unit. Think of the quota as # of tags to issued in that unit. A nonresident must apply for a specific unit by choosing 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc.

In Unit 1 where I hunt, the white-tailed buck quota for nonresidents hunting Unit 1 is around 2,350 and mule deer quota is 50. Draw rate is the total # of available tags divided by the total # of applicants for that unit. Unit 1 draw rate has been roughly 83% for years but it dropped significantly last year.

There were over 3,000 more applicants who chose Unit 1 as 1st or 2nd choice. Similar results happened in all 18 units. 2019 was the first time in the history of Kansas Parks & Wildlife that every unit sold out of tags on the first draw with no leftover tags. My sources tell me there is zero chance for OTC tags, and maybe 50% chance they will reinstate the landowner tag system.

southerndraw

Heard from an outfitter that this past season thousands of animal rights nuts put in for the draw, of course never intending on hunting an animal. They have also been putting in for trapping license and of course the same thing, gonna never set a trap. I guess this has been happening for a few years and that's why certain people and outfitters are pushing for OTC sales.

mike1225

This is what I saw on 2019 Non Resident Draw.

Attachments

• file (3).pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 45

mike1225

I´ve been reading some on their site & have seen nothing about over the counter tags. I did finally see a number on the people that didn´t draw. Less than 3000 didn´t draw. I don´t know if that´s a fact.
The numbers on the chart I posted are for non residents. 2208.

mike1225

Hopefully we draw this year!