???kayak fishing St. George???

DEERFU

My son and I are headed to St. George State park in the am and I was wondering if anyone has experience kayak fishing the area. Also is there a place on the island to rent boats or do we need to take our own? Is the fishing better on the gulf or bay side? Thanks for any input:yeah:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You can rent kayaks (if that's what you mean by boats) from Jenny's over on the bay side or the state park has some for rent. There is great fishing around the youth ramp area of the state park.

wharfrat

I like the grass flats on the east end (campground) bayside. the bay holds LOTS of trout and reds. get 'em early!

DEERFU

You can rent kayaks (if that's what you mean by boats) from Jenny's over on the bay side or the state park has some for rent. There is great fishing around the youth ramp area of the state park.

Yep that's what I meant:biggrin2: Just trying to decide whether or not to lug mine down there if I can just as well rent one. This will be our first trip down there. My son is 17 and has a very busy life so i don't get to see him much any more and want to make the most of it. Thanks for the help yawl sounds like we shouldn't have too much trouble catching a few. I'll be sure to post pics if we do:yeah:

Mr. Fishunt

Hope this isn't too late.....

Take the kayaks out from the state park Boat launch and head to the oyster bars and fish with a Capatain mike's spoon for redfish at a falling tide. Don't forget a 25-30 lb mono shock leader or you will break off from the oysters...
I can almost guarantee you will catch some reds......

Good luck,
Mr. Fishunt

DEERFU

Take the kayaks out from the state park Boat launch and head to the oyster bars and fish with a Capatain mike's spoon for redfish at a falling tide. Don't forget a 25-30 lb mono shock leader or you will break off from the oysters...
I can almost guarantee you will catch some reds......

Good luck,
Mr. Fishunt

Got it! Thanks Mr. Fishunt. I'm headed out early in the morning. I already have some florocarbon leader material left over from a spring trip to Steinhatchee. I hope my son hooks into a redfish big enough to pull a wake on the kayak!:rofl:

BIGGUS

GONetwork Member
Island Outfitters is on the right on the way to the park & they rent them, but kinda $$$. I'd second what Dustin said and fish the youth camp @ the ramp. It's a great spot!

oxbow

As mentioned earlier post, go to the state park. I'd stay there a full tide cycle. Your catch reds and trout. Lures I like to through are johnson silver minnow, rapula skitter walk, excalibur junior pup, johnson sprite.

If you hook into a nice red get him off the oyster bar as fast as possible. If I do top water plugs on bars I now use 20lb flouro (cheaper to buy one spool of berkley vanish in the blue box for about 10 bucks)

best of luck

jonkayak

If the weather and waves are nice try the ocean side as well. The kings are in close this time of year and you might get lucky. We did well in both the bay and ocean while kayak fishing SSI, but it was around six years ago. Good luck.

DEERFU

After the great tips last week we didnt even get to fish St. George:cry: But!!!!! We had a great time anyway and learned that it is indeed an awesome fishery. Many folks on the beach and bay were quite succesful. We decided to take a kayaking/ scallop/ snorkel trip over at port St. joe and had a blast. The shallow flats we started on would be a fly fisherman's dream! I managed to paddle right up on many reds that were tailing in the skinny water and didn't bring my gear with me :banginghe. The camera battery died on me so we didn't get any pictures of the scallops but both of us collected our limit. Can't wait to get back down there when I have a little more time. There were more giant blue crabs in the surf on the beach than we have ever seen anywhere. My son must have caught and released 40+ with a trout net on a walk down the beach and they were huge! If the mosquitos had not been so bad in the campground we would've been cooking and cleaning them right there.