Kayak Fishing the 'Hooch

VisionCasting

Just moved into a neighborhood on the 'Hooch and I've been fishing between Soap Creek and Paces Mill (41) a few times this week (Wilderness Systems Angler 10.5).

The bite is on! Been catching on average 5-10 fish per hour of fishing. Some nice ones. Even saw a Gar the other day.

I'm totally hooked on kayak fishing. What a great way to get to the holes that wading can't get you to.

Going back out tonight after work if these pop-up thunder storms hold off. ::;

ZachYak

Awesome! My hat's off to you with these crazy river levels! I love fishing that section but i haven't had a free point in my schedule that the river's manageable this summer....

VisionCasting

Boated a few tonight, but MAN was the Hooch foggy after that t-shower blew through. Couldn't see from one side to the other.

Landed mainly smallmouth and shoal bass tonight. One little pan fish, a turtle (don't ask) and what looked like a pike (I still don't know what the heck it was!).

Great night on the water.

VisionCasting

jack fish

That 'pike' was probably a chain pickerel, also known as a jack fish.

That's it! I looked it up on the DNR website and you are right. 14". He was a scrapper on my ultralight rig.

VisionCasting

Panther Martin

What are you catching them on?

Panther Martin holographic, Rapalla jointed, daredevil, Mepps (gold w/orange fethers). You name it, they were hitting it. But the PM holo is my go-to for this part of the 'hooch. Looks just like a small bow.

Bruiser

<object width="600" height="400"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3526985&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=ffffff&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3526985&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=ffffff&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="400"></embed></object><p>Smallmouth bass in the Chattahoochee River from BasserDrew on Vimeo.</p>

So you are saying the small mouths are a recent addition? I didn't think they were there either.

Randy

Yes smallies have recently, within the last few years, been introduced by idiots.

basser

If you fish in that section of the river (Sope Creek to White Water) remember that is Delayed harvest this time of year and lures with treble hook or more than one hook are illegal.

basser

Please note that this part of the river (Sopa creek to White Water) is delayed harvest, and lures with more than one hook or trebles hooks are illegal as well as bait. After May 14th you can use any lure or bait, and keep the trout that you catch.