Kayak Fishing

G Duck

Any of you guys fish from Kayaks? Just wondering. Seems like it is a fast growing segment of fishing down here on the coast.

hortonhunter22

In my opinion it is the most versatile and stealthy way to sneak up on pretty much any kind of fish you wanna fish for...from the bays to the lakes and all the ponds and rivers in between. i caught my 3rd best bass sunday morning out of a kayak and it was super exciting. Heres a pic of her...and she was released to fight another day.
Check out www.kayakbassfishing.com

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,462

aznflycaster

Sold my jon boat and got one,after 2 trips with a buddy.Using his spare sit in kayak.

WaltL1

I love fishing from my yak. Only got into it a couple of years ago and keep asking myself why I didnt do this sooner.

FishingAddict

After I got my yak I sold my bass boat. Much better experiance overall- you are much closer to nature. And cheaper!

Walt- how long does you dog sit still in the back of your yak like that?

Sterling

I saw a yak that ol Hank Parker was promoting, but it had a way to peddal and steer so you could fish more and paddle less. What do you think about those boats? Hobie Cat Outback

FishingAddict

I saw a yak that ol Hank Parker was promoting, but it had a way to peddal and steer so you could fish more and paddle less. What do you think about those boats? Hobie Cat Outback

After being on a paddle boat, I think it may be harder than just paddling with your arms. And if you ever wanted to fish something shallow, I would wonder if the paddles under the boat would get destroyed.

I would assume that you would not be able to make very tight turns in it...and it may be a little noisey.

But then again, I've never tried one.

hortonhunter22

my dad has the hobie pro angler...if your fishing in deeper than 3ft all the time with little wood or grass underwater...the pedal version is a good choice...if your fishing ponds with lots of underwater structure you will find urself still having to paddle...but they do have there place as he can get where he needs to go in a river or on the lake faster than i can paddle in a ride 135

FishingAddict

Just did a little reseach on it...looks like the paddling feature ain't as bad as a paddle boat. Averaged around 5 mph for an hour- which is darn near impossible just paddling. But it's not for shallow water.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I love kayak fishing!
DSC05805.jpg

mgn2

Just did a little reseach on it...looks like the paddling feature ain't as bad as a paddle boat. Averaged around 5 mph for an hour- which is darn near impossible just paddling. But it's not for shallow water.

I run two Hobies (Revo and Outback), and have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler as well. I prefer the Hobies hands down, when I hit shallow water I push the pedal fwd, they stay folded up against the bottom, and clear the majority of the time. If its less than 6" of water and the boat is scrapping the bottom, I'll snatch them out (very easy, just 2 quick turn nuts), and lay them on the bow and paddle. Nice part about the Hobies is that you have an option, peddle or paddle, or both. As for turning, they turn on a dime w/ the rudder. My .02.

Last edited:

Randy

It has changed my life completely. It is all I do. I eat sleep and dream kayak fishing.

I outran a Hobie Outback with the new turbo fins this past weekend paddling. The guy peddling also ran out of breath. Of course a person in better shape probably woudl have beat me. Paddling 5 or 6 is quite easy. Paddling has way more advantages IMO.

FishingAddict

It has changed my life completely. It is all I do. I eat sleep and dream kayak fishing.

I outran a Hobie Outback with the new turbo fins this past weekend paddling. The guy peddling also ran out of breath. Of course a person in better shape probably woudl have beat me. Paddling 5 or 6 is quite easy. Paddling has way more advantages IMO.

You can paddle on a lake for an whole hour @ 6 MPH? You are in much better shape than me, or have a much longer boat! :)

I like your sig line, Randy

Booner Killa

Dang fellas.....I just gained access to a 250 acre reservoir and the light bulb just went off for me. This is the way to go....I'll be looking into this. What kind of yak will I need? Best for the money?

Randy

Dang fellas.....I just gained access to a 250 acre reservoir and the light bulb just went off for me. This is the way to go....I'll be looking into this. What kind of yak will I need? Best for the money?
Your size and weight?

ZachYak

Kayak fishing is awesome!

I really think it has something for everyone. For the super competitive, there are multiple online and in person tournaments in GA and the South East. For people not as serious about competitive fishing, its a great way to get on the water for cheap, get some great exercise and get in touch with nature.

As far as the Hobie's go... they definitely have their place. Its all just a matter of personal preference. I'd say test them both out.

WaltL1

Walt- how long does you dog sit still in the back of your yak like that?[/QUOTE said:
I give her a break about every 30 minutes so she doesnt get uncomfortable. She really enjoys floating the rivers.