Kayak fishing

I've never been in a kayak bit looking into buying a couple of 12 foot fishing kayak's this year for my wife and I to fish out of in the river and creeks any tips I've hunted and fish all my life till about 12 years ago and this year I/we decided to give it another try any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I bought one late last year to use this spring and did a ton of research so I'll tell you what I found.
Stability is important but the wider they are, the more they paddle like a barge. You'll get comfortable with less stability and easier paddling as you get more experienced or so I'm told.
Get one with a comfortable seat because you'll spend hours sitting down. The ones with frame seats are the best.
Spend more for a good paddle. Some of the beginner paddles are heavy so spend a little more and get a Bending Branches brand or something like that.
I ended up with a 12 foot Crescent Lite Tackle. It's made here in Georgia. Some of the Vibe brand kayaks are nice too. If you want to shop a little and look at a few, Westbrook Supply up in Atlanta is a good place to check them out.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It's a whole lotta fun! Up close and personal with nature. A different experience all the way around.

Any yak you like will do to start with. Gotta get used to something, so you can decide what you want next.

Absolutely, positively, NO tandem kayak. Trust me. It will not work for fishing.

Get after it and have some fun!!

Thanks a lot I'll be in Atlanta next week and I will look up Westbrook Supplies the kayak thing will ne a new thing for my and my wife if she decides to join me I just think it will be a lot of fun for us I'm retired now but she's not but maybe I can learn and thin maybe teach her that way I'll be the one to get wet and laughed at to begin with but it will be all in fun and hope fully we can get a lot of fun out of it down the road.

dank1296

Drew Gregory who won Hobies 2020 Angler Of The Year fishing from A Crescent Kayak Lite Tackle and And Ultra Light Both Under 900.00 (Beating Out All The 4000.00 Hobie Anglers) Has Designed A New Fishing Kayak For Crescent Thats About To Drop. Check Crescents Website. Yes on checking out Westbrooks

Drew Gregory who won Hobies 2020 Angler Of The Year fishing from A Crescent Kayak Lite Tackle and And Ultra Light Both Under 900.00 (Beating Out All The 4000.00 Hobie Anglers) Has Designed A New Fishing Kayak For Crescent Thats About To Drop. Check Crescents Website. Yes on checking out Westbrooks
Thank you something to think about.

Ajohnson0587

Try and paddle any kayak that grabs your interest, it’s the best way to find out what you will like and what feels comfortable. I have a Bonafide SS127 and I love it, there are a ton of accessories from other companies to rig it how you want. It paddles great, is super stable, the seat is great and will allow you to fish all day if you choose to.375B1004-887B-43B9-AD58-1624F40B5394.jpeg

fish hawk

Bass Master
You should rent one for the day or demo.Most businesses that sell kayaks will have demo days with several different models or brands on hand.It's impossible to know if your going to like a particular brand and style unless you put some seat time in it,I suggest renting one and fishing in it for several hours. If your primarily fishing rivers and creeks you will want to compare hull designs as all are not the same,take that Bonafide kayak in the pic above,they are a great boats for slow moving rivers or lakes but their tri hull design makes them not quite as nimble or responsive as others for fast flowing rivers and streams.The cresent pictured above is a good river boat,my buddy in S.Georgia has a couple and when I go visit I use his boat instead of bring mine so I've had a lot of seat time in one,the things I dont like about it are its a little on the narrow side and I cant balance in it very good while standing.Right now I'm paddling a Native Manta Ray XT and it preforms well for my type of fishing which is primarily fast flowing rivers,small streams and occasionally a small pond when I dont feel like loading up the jon boat.100050885_3243133892385594_2483457361650384896_o (3).jpg

Try and paddle any kayak that grabs your interest, it’s the best way to find out what you will like and what feels comfortable. I have a Bonafide SS127 and I love it, there are a ton of accessories from other companies to rig it how you want. It paddles great, is super stable, the seat is great and will allow you to fish all day if you choose to.View attachment 1065744
Thanks for the info.

You should rent one for the day or demo.Most businesses that sell kayaks will have demo days with several different models or brands on hand.It's impossible to know if your going to like a particular brand and style unless you put some seat time in it,I suggest renting one and fishing in it for several hours. If your primarily fishing rivers and creeks you will want to compare hull designs as all are not the same,take that Bonafide kayak in the pic above,they are a great boats for slow moving rivers or lakes but their tri hull design makes them not quite as nimble or responsive as others for fast flowing rivers and streams.The cresent pictured above is a good river boat,my buddy in S.Georgia has a couple and when I go visit I use his boat instead of bring mine so I've had a lot of seat time in one,the things I dont like about it are its a little on the narrow side and I cant balance in it very good while standing.Right now I'm paddling a Native Manta Ray XT and it preforms well for my type of fishing which is primarily fast flowing rivers,small streams and occasionally a small pond when I dont feel like loading up the jon boat.View attachment 1065802
Thank you very much the one in the picture is actually what I'm looking at thanks again.

Trip Penn

Demo First! It's the only way to know if you will like the boat.

I have a Crescent Lite Tackle and my wife has a Native like the one pictured above.

Southern Moon in Augusta will set you up on a demo of any boat they have in stock at no charge. They took about 6 out for us to demo before we purchased.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I paddled a ascend 12t for five years.Those kayaks catch a lot of flack but I tell you what I put mine through heck and back and it held up,still holding up but with a couple patches now:LOL:I wish I could name the miles of rocks it's been drug over.It took five long years to finally blow holes in the bow and stern.It has its's issues and things I dont like about it but over all it's been a great utilitarian boat.These are the waters I live to fish.20151213_122120.jpg20151213_105943.jpgDSCN8010.JPG

I paddled a ascend 12t for five years.Those kayaks catch a lot of flack but I tell you what I put mine through heck and back and it held up,still holding up but with a couple patches now:LOL:I wish I could name the miles of rocks it's been drug over.It took five long years to finally blow holes in the bow and stern.It has its's issues and things I dont like about it but over all it's been a great utilitarian boat.These are the waters I live to fish.View attachment 1065975View attachment 1065976View attachment 1065977
Thanks for the information I haven't bought anything yet but looking at all options and the information I'm getting on here is great I haven't fished in years but I'm retired now so trying to get back into it and just seems like a kayak would be a lot of fun.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There's lots of aspects to consider before you leap. I can tell you for sure the quality and comfort of the seat is right on up there.

weagle

My suggestion is: Don't think it to death, pick one of the popular 10 footers and get in the game. The only bad decision will be miss out on months/years of kayak fishing while you mull it over. That's what i did and I'm mad I didn't pull the trigger earlier.

Most of the major brands have a 10 footer that you will be happy with. Pelican Catch 100, Vibe Yellowfin 100, Jackson Cruise 10, Cresscent Ultralight, Ascend 10T.

I know a lot of folks say to demo, demo, demo but In my experience that is worthless for a new Kayaker It's like telling a new skateboarder to demo. It is such a new experience that you really don't get your sea legs for a few trips. Just pick one of the models that everyone is happy with that uses it for the same conditions you plan to fish and get in the game.

In a few weeks prime fishing time will be upon us. Don't be standing on the shore missing out on the fun.

vahurst

This will probably be an unpopular opinion here, but you may want to consider a canoe, especially if your are looking for two people or if kids ever get involved. A canoe can be more comfortable for some people to paddle and can easily haul more gear. They are also much easier to move solo if you have to portage at all.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion here, but you may want to consider a canoe, especially if your are looking for two people or if kids ever get involved. A canoe can be more comfortable for some people to paddle and can easily haul more gear. They are also much easier to move solo if you have to portage at all.
Something to think about.