Kayak hunting Ray’s Mill Pond for woodies

CCSAR22

Anyone here ever try to hunt Ray’s Mill Pond (Ray City) for ducks by kayak? Or float some of the rivers, looking for a good cove?

MudDucker

Staff member
Good luck, you might get run over by the mud boats. I hear the lake is up for sale and might be closed to the public soon.

Bearit

You can kayak in there, get there very early to avoid the traffic jam of boats, so you wont get swamped. Those guys run wide open and it can be pretty treacherous if your not familiar with it. I haven’t heard anything about it being for sale. The largest Land owner east of the Mississippi owns half of it and the other half is a irrevocable trust. But the boat ramp is owned by the owners of the restaurant. I guess they could cut It off the public if they wanted to. But I haven’t heard that. We’ve killed lots of ducks in that place. Especially in the mid 2000’s and it could be good. Scout it, and if you find them make sure you not on a corn pile!

MudDucker

Staff member
Yep Langdale owns half and Moorman Trust owns nearly the other half. Money talks and bull walks!

You can kayak in there, get there very early to avoid the traffic jam of boats, so you wont get swamped. Those guys run wide open and it can be pretty treacherous if your not familiar with it. I haven’t heard anything about it being for sale. The largest Land owner east of the Mississippi owns half of it and the other half is a irrevocable trust. But the boat ramp is owned by the owners of the restaurant. I guess they could cut It off the public if they wanted to. But I haven’t heard that. We’ve killed lots of ducks in that place. Especially in the mid 2000’s and it could be good. Scout it, and if you find them make sure you not on a corn pile!
I wouldn’t worry about baiting up ducks in rays mill pond. The local game wardens will only sit at the ramp in their truck. Not illegal to possess dead ducks with shelled corn in their crawls. Only illegal to be caught in the act of hunting over bait. You are under no obligation to show a game warden where u killed birds at, especially if he doesn’t not have the ability to access said spot on his own.

Bearit

I can assure you there’s no teal or ringers in Rays right now. Only thing that place is loaded with is stumps. Shoot my a P.M if you have questions about that place. It really can be sketch and there’s no way I would go out there alone in a kayak

CCSAR22

I can assure you there’s no teal or ringers in Rays right now. Only thing that place is loaded with is stumps. Shoot my a P.M if you have questions about that place. It really can be sketch and there’s no way I would go out there alone in a kayak
Just sent you a PM

MudDucker

Staff member
Cypress knees just below the surface outnumber stumps by 10 to 1. Cypress knees are a worse danger to puncture your boat.

ghadarits

Rays looks like a good place to not put a kayak in if the mud boats are running crazy before daylight.

Fenderbuilt27

I’ve used kayaks on the Alapaha and at Grand Bay. If you would like to tag along sometime I could show you the ropes. PM me if interested.